Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Another unknown MG

karyn1
13 years ago

I found this bloom in the garden this morning. It has variegated foliage and I think I recently saw someone post a pic of a similar one but can't find it. Can someone please tell me what it is? TIA

{{gwi:555948}}

Comments (9)

• ron_convolvulaceae
    13 years ago

These darker blizzards can come out of the Hama Ginga or other blue-purple blizzards when they shift to the less white streaked presentations and the color bands get filled in with fine striations of all shades of overlapping blue and purple ...

the lighter blue sections may be caused by a flecked gene but these blizzards are the most complex of all of the color patterns ( made of 4 different blizzard genes) so it is difficult to say for sure without being able to do instant DNA analysis...

Here Dr.Yoneda mentions that 'blizzards' are the most variable and that they are 'dominant'
    http://protist.i.hosei.ac.jp/asagao/yoneda_db/E/PCD2523/html
    >which isn't exactly accurate...(as he neglects to mention the recessive blizzard = bz-4)

Here Dr.Yoneda mentions all 4 different blizzards with the 1st three interacting in a 'cooperative' manner and clarifies that the 4th one is actually recessive
    http://202.243.235.3/Asagao/E/species/genes.html

Bz-1 Blizzard-l, Fubuki-l - Dominant
    Bz-2 Blizzard-2, Fubuki-2 - "
    Bz-3 Blizzard-3, Fubuki-3 - "
    bz-4 Blizzard-4, Fubuki-4 - Recessive blizzard character.

Here is a link that might be useful: 4 Different Blizzard genes in Morning Glories interact in a co-operative manner

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info, I think. lol Now I have to go and brush up on HS genetics.

• emmagrace2
    13 years ago

Wow,
    Ron thanks for that great information. As you know, I am trying to understand the 'Blizzards' now.

Karyn,
    Your MG looks to me like my 'George Strait', however he doesn't have Variegated leaves. Are you sure your leaves are variegated?

I will post some of my photos if you like, but need to load them to photobucket first

Emma

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Emma. The foliage is definitely variegated but so far that's the only bloom on that vine that looks like that. Speaking of foliage there was something wrong with the foliage on the majority of my container MG's that I had no idea what it was, some type of fungus, maybe? Now those same vines have rust. Will rust affect the seed pods?

• suseart
    13 years ago

Karyn, I have one of Emma's George Strait MGs right now, and it looks like yours without the variegated leaves. I'll attache a pic for you to compare...

-Susan

Here is a link that might be useful: JMG I. Nil George Strait from Emma Grace

• emmagrace2
    13 years ago

Karyn, the rust will not have anything to do with your seed pods, but sure does make for messy leaves. Susan, Great photos of George
    Emma

• primrose1x3
    13 years ago

Karyn, regarding the rust, it might help to wait and see if your vines make new growth at leaf nodes. In my garden, I found that, even after I had removed the earlier rust-ridden leaves, that it took a while for rust to do in the following, new cycle of growth. Sometimes, a vine would go through 3 or 4 cycles of making new, healthy side shoots at leaf nodes in my garden (Ellicott City, MD).

And then there's the consideration that the vines, themselves, even without leaves, will continue the process of photosynthesis.

But, these were all vines of I. nil that were sown on May 20, 2007, planted out in early June, and achieved up to 20' on individual vines - directly transplanted to my garden with liberal shovels-full of compost (no other fertilizer). So, it's hard to say if container-grown plants would have the same stamina.

karen

(sad to say, did not grow the nils this summer - hope to do better indoors this fall/winter)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's pretty. The other blooms have just looked like some type of picotee with solid blue edged with white. My MG's are all a mess now because of the rust. It's pretty much spread to all of them. At least it hasn't spread to my plumerias or anything else that I've noticed.

• primrose1x3
    13 years ago

waving to Suseart - it's been a while since I was on GW & missed your photo link - your George Straits look well-enough grown to be still lifes on a canvass - quite a treat

Karyn, I've wondered how specific rust was to its host plants. I've grown two rust-prone plants in my garden - hollyhock and morning glory - and both always get rust whether grown at the same time in my garden, or not. So, it's hard to tell if the rust on one plant is responsible for the rust on the other plant.

For reasons I don't understand, there is no rust on the various species within convolvulaceae growing in my garden so far this year - very strange - wonder if this would be the case if I were growing any nils?

karen