Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharpdog

Worms Lethargic and disappearing

sharpdog
13 years ago

I have a bin with cinder block bottom and one foot sides that was to be our compost heap, but a friend gave me a small pail containing some red garbage eating worms, so we put them in the bin along with our vegetable and fruit scraps and covered it all with dried maple leaves and dried lawn clippings. Every week or so I would bring them things like old cantaloupe rinds and they seemed to really appreciate all of the garbage and the worm colony grew.

Lately the worms that are left seem to be somewhat lethargic and their numbers have shrunk to a small number. There is a large evergreen that shades the bin, but also drops some needles into the bin. The soil in the bin is somewhat moist cool and crumbly, but not really damp. When I feed them, I sweep back the grass and leaves, uncover some of the worms, add the garbage, cover with a little dirt and replace the dried grass and leaves.

Could it be too dry for them?

Could the evergreen needles be a problem?

A few weeks back before they began disappearing I put a large chunk of stale home-made bread in the with their food but when I checked it later, a colony of small ants was making a colony in the bread, so I removed the bread.

If anyone has any ideas why they have gone missing please let me know.

Thanks!

Comments (2)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer