Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
surya55_gw

Morning Glory Scarlett O'Hara

surya55_gw
10 years ago

Hello-

Does anyone have any issues growing this vine? I waited all summer and it didn't bloom at all. At the beginning of October, it's finally blooming- one flower at a time. And, can someone verify if it's Scarlett O to begin with? The color is definitely not Red.....needless to say I will not be growing this anytime soon. Thx

Comments (4)

• ron_convolvulaceae
    10 years ago

Hello Surya - My impression is that the flower you have posted is similar to a SOH with a white tube and throat which is known as "Wine and Roses" or it could be either an "Akatsuki no Beni" or a "Heian Beni".

The majority of SOH strains are known to be late bloomers , although there are some 'hard to find' earlier blooming strains.

The Real SOH has an all red tube and throat and the only white visible would be from the stamens and pistil....consider yourself lucky if you can locate a strain with a solid colored tube.

The majority of 'SOH' available these days is either pink or a reddish-pink...

The real old fashioned red can be very hard to find and unfortunately advertising images cannot be relied upon..

Hope the info helps...

Ron

• surya55_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ron- you are so right- NK Lawn & Garden showed the real red you're talking about on the package but look what I got when I planted it... anyway, thank you so much for the information. It's very much appreciated. I'll grow the "Grandpa Otts" next year that you identified for me.

• Gerris2 (Joseph Delaware Zone 7a)
    10 years ago

You have to look around to find the all red Scarlett O'Hara flower form. It's a knockout to see in real life.

• surya55_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh wow! Just look at that bloom! I bet that was worth waiting for to see in person! Thx for sharing it with us. How long did it take to bloom?

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES