Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pjames_gw

Humble Beginnings

pjames
13 years ago

Over the past couple weeks I have been building a very large(for me) Flow-thru bin. It measures 47X15 X27 deep so it is about 60 gallons..

This afternoon I sifted some compost from an existing bin. I counted 53 EF's weighing only 8 grams. Now while the weight is insignificant because alot of the worms were very juvenile and very small, the count is. I started, less than a year and 1/2 ago with only 55 EF's

Comments (2)

• PRO
    equinoxequinox
    13 years ago

I'm imagining about the shape and size of a 55 gallon fish tank. Congratulations on the build. It is nice to have here there or the other place to put vegitable and bedding additions. Flow-thru bin seems to be where it is at. I could not get far with a solid bin. But then again my worm numbers were sparce. The each had their own back 40. Still maybe less than a pound even now. But I with the flo through I just gave my mom 15 gallons of vermicastings for a special planting. My whole few years result. So you are starting this new bin with a similar count of worms as you started yourself off with originally. So I guess the idea is to see if the flow through is happier faster. I sometimes add water to my flow through. Except watermellon time. I never added water to my solid bin. Is this your first flow through? If so you will so enjoy playing with the system. It will be interesting to see if the laws of physics work with your flow through. What is the sizes of bedding and food? Puried or whole cobs of corn? whole boxes or double cut newspaper? And what is the size of the openings of the drop out area? 100% 50% ? Will you reprocess? Take stuff out of the bottom and toss it back on top. Will you use one container to pre compost and an identical container to secondary process to finer castings? I bet you have strong frame so we do not have to worry about collapse of weakened plastic. Will you collect castings from the floor or in a collection container? And eventually please let us know the minimum depth of bedding and food for a vermicomposting system. Can this be done in 4 inches or are 72 inches needed?

• pjames
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I put a pound of EF's into that bin when I added the bedding. Those are also progeny from of the original batch of 55. I have a tumbler where I precompost shredded paper and kitchen waste, a few leaves etc.

I layered this material and plain shredded cardboard to almost fill the FT. I have 2 small plastic FT's as well with EF's. The link to pictures of this bin as well as the process of building it is:

http://vermicomposters.ning.com/profiles/blog/list?user=2raov6ddccofe

Reason for my original post was that starting with a few worms, it is easy to build up substantial numbers. I had almost the starting number of worms fall into the collection tray of my smaller FT's.

Here is a link to one of the those..(both are the same)
    http://vermicomposters.ning.com/profiles/blogs/my-flow-through

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations