Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jim_mck

Collecting violet seeds

jim_mck
18 years ago

Now that I'm beginning to take violet culture a bit more seriously, I'm wondering how the rest of you collect violet seeds.

I'm using small zip-lock bags (see the attached image which shows bags on capsules of Viola dissecta chaerophylloides) which are placed over the ripening capsules. Because the bags are transparent, I cen see when the capsule opens and the seeds are ready.

How do the rest of you secure seeds before the capsule pops open and the seeds disperse?

Jim

Image link:

Comments (6)

• rob_peace
    18 years ago

perhaps a little less co-ordinated here, jim!
    i watch the plant as they pods mature. when the pod goes from 'looking down' to 'looking up', i pick the whole stem. i place this in an envelope or a jar. the capsules open and the stem withers. i'm collecting v. betonicifolia at present. even with the lid loosley placed over the mouth of the jar, i'm discovering a surprising amount of seed manages to get onto the kitchen bench! with warm summer days, i do miss some pods. some species dont give much warning they are about to pop! the capsules on v. walterii appear small and immature right up to the last moment.
    rob...

• etii
    18 years ago

Funny picture Jim, I like it :-)
    I do the same as Rob and sometimes miss some: I do hate when it pops and there's nothing anymore to take, but it's rare :-) I do have a look everyday, several times a day: some violas are making so many pods, not a pity if I forget some and little surprise when spring is coming.
    I don't like ziploc You gonna make me have a terrific moment of nostalgia talking about seed harvest: it's winter here and so cold :-/

All the best :o)
    Thierry.

• Mike Hardman
    18 years ago

Jim,

I go along with Rob & Thierry.

I use old herbal tea bags, cut open and with the herbal bits removed. The bags are like muslin or cheesecloth. They are quite small, but I find I can just about fit one over a seedpod and tie it around the stem with a piece of thread. That allows plenty of air through, and allows the pods to spread open - but obviously the mesh is too fine to let the seeds escape. It can be a little tricky to see into the bags to check if the seeds have been shed, true. When the seeds have been shed, I cut the stem off, then untie the bag over a dish so as not to lose any seeds.

I know a nurseryman who actually buys such teabags, unused, from the manufacturer for this purpose.

• etii
    18 years ago

Teabags !!!!!! YES :-) Such a briant idea: I gonna save energy next summer :-) So much better than making bags by myself :-)) I have to buy big box of first price tea 'n' throw away the tea to keep the bags.
    Thank you so much Mike for making it so easy :-)

Take care :-)
    Thierry.

• nathalie
    18 years ago

Hi Jim
    I do like Rob, Mike and Etii! I choose the moment when the pod is just "head up" but not open yet and it finishes to mature in a paper bag or in a box...If I have to leave for few days and I don't want to miss the seeds I wrap the pod with a small piece of gauze that I tie with a thread..It's not heavy and save good ventilation..Just like tea bags I guess...

• Mike Hardman
    18 years ago

You're very welcome, Thierry!

Another point: I suggest you cut off the stems of the seed pods so they are as long as possible. That gives maximum chance of the pod 'not knowing' it has been severed from the plant (allowing it to finish ripening properly), and it reduces the chances of disease getting into the plant through the lower part of the stems as they die.

For reference, a piccy of how a violet seed pod turns up before shedding its seeds...
    A change in colour, as also shown here, may also give an indication of ripening.

The photo also shows how you can tell a chasmo' seed pod from a cleisto' one - the presence of the full-sized style on the tip of the chasmo' one.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Sponsored