Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
darthweeder

Lawn Weed identify ????

DarthWeeder
11 years ago

Hi there. Hoping for some assistance in identifying this weed/grass.

I am in So Cal. My lawn grass is primarily tall fescue/fescue blend.

This weed/grass grows twice as fast as my fescue. I will post a pic as it is in my yard and followup pics how it looks after pulled.

Thanks in advance for all advice.

Comments (8)

• DarthWeeder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

2nd pic 2 of 4

• DarthWeeder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic 3 of 4

• DarthWeeder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

pic 4 of 4

• Kimmsr
    11 years ago

That looks to me somewhat like Quack Grass or Johnson Grass. Are the roots (actually rhizomes) long with small root systems starting about every 6 inches or so?

• DarthWeeder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

they are very sparse.... only a few clumps like this 7-8 in entire lawn.

How best remove- spray or just pull??

• Dzitmoidonc
    11 years ago

Looks like Orchard Grass. Mowing it usually ends the problem since these are bunchgrass. I'm surprised that a couple years of mowing haven't eliminated it. Johnson Grass has a white-ish stripe in the middle and makes canes. It too is eliminated by mowing. Orchard grass makes good hay. O.g. and Timothy are the 2 main hay grasses around here.

• DarthWeeder
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Orchard grass--- that looks like it!!! Even has the purplish base by the roots.

I am trying to figure out how I got it. Two options-- I only have it where I layed down some new seed. BUT I also only have it next to a few stacks of DEAD hay bails (not for eating).

Can yellow, non edible hay bales contain orchard grass seeds that could spead to lawn? These are hay bales you would use as a barrier or for a hay ride, etc...

• jfreeman1041
    9 years ago

Sorry to post here but not sure how to start a new one. I have a small weed that started in my neighbors yard and after about 3-4 years is all over my yard, but it only grows in patches. Some patches are quit big though. Here's a pic. They make small spikes that will hurt when you step on them.

that

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!