Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alouwomack

A place to buy Kaolin Clay?

alouwomack
13 years ago

Hello fellow Texans,

Does anyone know where I can buy kaolin clay in the DFW area (preferrably mid-cities/FTW)??? It was highly recommended elsewhere on GardenWeb but I can't find a local retailer. (Its available online but the shipping is hefty.)

I particularly need it for the spotted cucumber beetles!!! My plants aren't showing signs of distress yet but those little boogers are everywhere in the garden! Please help!

-Amber

Comments (6)

• shebear
    13 years ago

We're not recommending just plain old kaolin clay. Surround WP is a special grind with additions. I don't think you can buy it locally. You can order it from Johnny's Seeds or a few other places. Do a google search.

Beware using the stuff that isn't Surround WP. I've read a guy with fruit trees tried that and killed them.

• alouwomack
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you shebear. I did do a search previously and did find Gardener's Supply and Johnny's sells it. I might have to bite the bullet and order it . . . I've got to put something down before those beetles cause too much damage.

• shebear
    13 years ago

Well keep an eye out for it locally. I know you have a pretty good feed store over there somewhere so go ask if they have heard of it and can get it. Fruit tree people use it if they are organic so it might be around but unless you seem to know what you're asking for, the agriculture people don't offer many suggestions. That's probably a good thing since they have access to some pretty nasty stuff. And while you're there make sure you check out the prices for 50lb. bags of stuff like alfalfa and seed meals. Ag prices are much cheaper than most consumer stuff.

I've tried to get to know the local feed store people because they offer me better bulk organic fertilizer prices than the garden stores and they have more experience with what works locally. The one over here is pretty organic and gets bulk seeds too. He also mixes a good organic fertilizer combo that he sells. I've seen good results with it in the community garden.

• artzyguru_aol_com
    12 years ago

Have you tried Guardian25Wp ? It is kaolin based and is designed for the home gardiner. It is just like Surround but comes in smaller packages for the home owner.You use it like seven dust. A little shake on your plants and the bugs go away. I too have heard of people useing un milled kaolin, however this product tells you how to make the application and how much you should use. I think I paid $19.95 and that was for a 2 lb bag and it included shipping.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Have you looked for a Ceramic supply store. Kaolin is used in Porcelain bodies and stoneware bodies. It is also used in glazes.

In Austin, Armadillo clay sells it.

• smithmal
    12 years ago

I've looked online for Surround WP. With shipping it comes to roughly $70 for a 25lb bag. I called up my local feed store (Southern States) and told them the Surround WP manufacturer (Engelhard) and they were able to order it from one of their vendors for me. I got a 25lb bag for $30.

I've read that the correct portioning is 1/2 lb of Surround WP to 1 gallon of water. I some serious stink bug damage last summer on my tomatoes so I'm hoping this will do the trick. I wonder if I can start growing summer squash and cukes again with this suppossed "silver bullet."

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern States website