Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

What do you plant between stepping stones?

TxMarti
16 years ago

I want something that can take drought as well as not grow up too tall since we'll be walking on it. Any suggestions?

Comments (6)

• moogies
    16 years ago

Dichondra!!! (actually, I didn't plant it - but it looks pretty) :)

• red_geranium
    16 years ago

I have sweet but tough dichondra carpet a gravel path in filtered sun and by a downspout. It is a volunteer. I really do like it and it takes alot of travel but it stops where the sun directly shines on it. I have tried thyme between sunlit stones but evidently not the right variety. I think the stones get too hot. Right now it has "disinigrated" to grass but we weed whip that down and it looks OK. Would like something else, not prickly or squishy. Hope you get lots of ideas here!

• little_dani
    16 years ago

I like to plant dwarf Mondo grass between stepping stones or flagstones. It can take full sun as long as it gets some water sometimes, and will do well in shade as well. It doesn't seem to be bothered by any amount of foot traffic. I really do like it.

Look at the second picture that Melvalena posted in the thread "Pictures to make you drool-" on this forum. That is Mondo grass in that pathway.

You might want to check out this site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Check out these plants too!

• denisew
    16 years ago

Yep, those are the plants I was talking about that I saw at Calloways. I saw a segment about them on Gardening by the Yard and the lady who coined the name, "Stepables" said she uses them for the entire pathway instead of stepping stones. I know at my house, no matter how tough a plant might be, I really need a harder surface to withstand the traffic of three boys, two dogs and one husband, so would use the stepping stones and then plant the stepables inbetween.

• TxMarti
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Denise, do you remember which variety you saw? I did the search survey & it didn't come up with any plants that will work in zone 8 in full sun with heavy foot traffic. I left all the other choices as "any" to try to widen the search.

• texanjana
    16 years ago

Creeping thyme