Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tam91_gw

Brandywine, Brandy Boy and misc. Pink Things

tam91
13 years ago

I'm already planning seeds for next year - wondering about Brandywine type tomatoes.

Last year, I had a Brandywine (pink) of some kind and a Red Brandywine. The pink one tasted fine, but didn't wow me, and only ever made maybe 3-5 tomatoes. The Red Brandywine was nice, and yielded pretty well.

I also had Mortgage Lifter - which yielded about a zillion tomatoes, all of which I disliked. Seemed insipid, almost no flavor to me.

This year, I have another Red Brandywine, which seems pretty good. I also have a Brandy Boy - which actually seems pretty tasty to me.

I also understand Caspian Pink is a competitor to Brandwine - I haven't tried that yet.

So - what's your favorites, in this type of tomato? Suggestions for next year?

I'm leaning toward another Brandy Boy for one - seems pretty healthy, productive, and tasty. Of course, I don't have another pink to compare him to this year. Unfortunately limited space - can't have one of each.

Comments (7)

• ferretbee
    13 years ago

The purchased plant Brandywine I grew last year wasn't great, but it was a bad year weather-wise and I let them get overripe (didn't realize the shoulders often stay green). This year I'm growing Brandywine and Rose grown from seed. Rose was mentioned and recommended on this forum a couple of times. Neither is blushing yet, but both seem productive and vigorous this year (which has been an excellent year weather-wise). One Brandywine has a particularly honkin' large fruit (it must be 2 lbs+).

• cindysunshine
    13 years ago

Our favorite is Pruden's Purple which is not purple but very similar to Brandywine, but earlier and more productive and at least for us generally more reliable.

• John A
    13 years ago

I've grown Brandyboys for the last several years and can heartily recommend them. In addition to the attributes you mentioned, they are pretty desease resistant. I've also been saving the seed and am now on F7. So far they are true to the original.
    John A

• spiced_ham
    13 years ago

Earl's Faux and Stump of the World are close to pink Brandywine (probably better than Caspian Pink).

So far I have been extremely impressed with the production of Win's All this year. I also like Rose a lot, but it is prone to radial cracking here.

I really don't care much for Mortgage Lifter

• seeker11
    13 years ago

Tam91, I agree that Brandy Boy is very good. Stump of the World has been my long-time favorite in this category, with German Head very close. Two that I'm trying for the first time this year are Cowlick's Brandywine and Hege German Pink. Both are superb. I may end up with a new favorite by the time summer's over. It would be way too hard to pick just one of those...I highly recommend growing all five!
    Paula

• tam91
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, now those are a few I've never heard of. And what amazing names - Stump of the World and German Head??? Cool.

I'd love to grow one of each - of all sorts. I wish. Unfortunately, I have one little patch of sun and have to go with containers besides (@#$*& walnut trees) so I have to pare down my choices.

I've noticed (trying to do some taste tests) that the Brandy Boy has a lot more tang (acid?) then the basic toms (Big Boy, Delicious, etc). I don't mind though, and it's a nice flavor. Just grabbed a Red Brandywine - I'll have to compare him to some of the others.

So many tomato varieties... so little space...

• tam91
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just tried Brandywine Red vs. Delicious. I can't believe I'm saying this, but I think Delicious wins. So Red Brandywine probably won't be on my list next year.

I love the heirlooms, but plant a few good 'ol resistant hybrids too, in case some kind of disaster strikes.