Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandyman720

Anyone in NJ/SE PA/DE have tomatoes yet?

sandyman720
12 years ago

I have 16 tomato plants with a lot of green ones but nothing close to getting ripe besides 2 or 3 san marzano and a few sungolds.

They have been transplanted for 2 months now.

What have you been seeing?

Comments (14)

• loisthegardener_nc7b
    12 years ago

I picked some Black Krims, Cherokee Purples, and a Kosovo to finish ripening on the counter. But it does seem that the maters around here are a bit slow to ripen this year. I am in NW Chester County, PA.

• jerseyjohn
    12 years ago

South Jersey.

First one to be picked tomorrow ! A small round Yellow Streak.

Lots of greenies, 78 varieties to go. Looks like a good year. Woo-hoo !!!!!!!!!

• greensingh
    12 years ago

Have been picking the early girls since June 23. The cherries have started coming in since first week of July.
    Picked a bunch of Black Krims, Danko, KBX and JD's special C-tex last week.

• sandyman720
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Greensingh-When did you transplant?

• greensingh
    12 years ago

The early girl and JD's on April 1 and the rest two weeks later.
    I had them under row cover and low tunnel.

• pezzuti9
    12 years ago

Hi
    I have picked about ten tomatoes so far. They where of different varieties. My cherry are just starting to ripen. Taste is outstanding. Had a late start this year in Zone 5 PA
    Lou

• trudi_d
    12 years ago

I"m in Nassau County and today spotted the first ripening fruits--Ceylon. There were a few with BER that ripened this week on the mulch pile where I threw them in disgust, but for the plants it's definitely Ceylon with the earliest fruits this year.

T

• sonnyside
    12 years ago

I'v had ripe tomatoes since June 25. Started inside under lights. I have picked at least 2 doz. Will pick another dozen to take to my sisters today. Very happy this year. I got some good advice from dig dirt and other members early on. Thanks to them.

• bigdaddyj
    12 years ago

Delaware. Planted out April 25. About 18 varieties have ripened and 4 still waiting for first. I have picked hundreds of tomatoes so far....

• homegardenpa
    12 years ago

Planted out mid April. Started picking tomatoes right before July 4th weekend. The first ones ripe were the Opalkas, Super Sweet 100s, and Rutgers.

I have a counter full of tomatoes at the moment and have picked at least a half dozen or so of each variety to date. Highest yeilds so far go to Eva Purple Ball, NAR, and tied for 3rd place is Rutgers and Opalka.

Haven't picked any of the big pinks yet - Sudduths Brandywine, Marianna's Peace, etc., but I have gotten a few very large (1.5 pound) Reif Red Hearts. Overall, things are progressing well, could be better, but not too shabby considering how awful the weather has been (and is going to be in the next few days).

• hp_MA6b
    12 years ago

Planted out mid April. Started picking cherry tomatoes right after July 4th weekend. Hope to pick the big beefs in about a week or two.

• Jprice1021
    12 years ago

I'm in Pennsauken, NJ, and so far we have picked about 75pds of ripe Big Mama's (paste tomato)off of 16 plants and only about 15pds of Porterhouse (beefsteak) off of 4 plants. The beefsteaks have only started ripening in the last week or so. Started all my seedlings indoors on March 7th and transplanted April 30th.

• albertar
    12 years ago

I'm in Suffolk County, NY...and just yesterday started picking my sungolds.

• ALLIEBEAN
    12 years ago

I'm on the edge of Philly and started picking hybrid cherries on 6/27, followed by Bloody Butcher 7/1 (always early) and Garden Peach. I have a huge crop (have to make sauce) of a small black pear shaped tomato (lost the name tag and don't have a clue what it is). But, unfortunately, most of my crop tastes very bland so far.

Sponsored
RTS Home Solutions
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars3 Reviews
BIA of Central Ohio Award Winning Contractor