Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
palmyragardener

Hardscaping a woodland garden

palmyragardener
16 years ago

Just moved to a new house with a small wooded backyard I have a very nice high canopy of very tall trees and have cleaned out the small seedlings. It is very shady, no grass, just dirt and some spirea and laurel at this point.

My main question is how to define the beds and pathways. I was thinking of some large stepping stones. But can't visualize how to define the "rooms" of the space. Is it just going to be a lot of mulch everywhere. The lower part of my yard slopes downhill and that will just be trees and leaves. It is the upper part that I would like to have a path that leads past beds and heads to an area with some seating.

Thanks for any input.

J.

Comments (7)

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

I had a similar situation. Start by defining the paths just to see how you like them. If you can get raw wood chips from a tree company that is a cheap (often free) way to do it; grass clippings are also a good temporary path and they will naturally decompose within a year. Move and shape the course and width of the path until you like it. Then you can decide if you want something like stone.

I also picked up fallen trees and branches and used them to create borders for the path in some area. Small and medium stones also can outline certain areas of the path.

Once you create your rooms, you can use different mulch inside the rooms (like pinestraw or pine bark, which is darker in color than raw chips).

I personally like to go for a natural effect in the woodland and let nature give me some of my ideas for how a path wanders or is outlined. You definitely want some curves so that there is more interest to following the path (what's around the corner?). And a bench tucked into a spot to allow a rest and an inspection of some interesting small plants or mossy rocks is always nice.

• tomasincas
    16 years ago

J. I have a small piece of woodlands beside my house with a few small trees for a canopy .I added some flat rocks that I found in the creek nearby to form pathways and make separate little areas. I had several native plants and ferns that I had saved and added some additional ones. We also added a park bench so we could just sit by the area and enjoy it, especially , on hot days where it tends to stay 10-15 degrees cooler.will send link for a few photos...Hope they come thru. I always seem to struggle sending photos.....Tom in Pennsylvania

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1355725}}

• tomasincas
    16 years ago

J. photos did not show up, will try diff. way, maybee you can highlight and copy then paste...sure need to write down how to properly send photo's here goes
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k37/tomasincas/IMG_0072.jpg
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k37/tomasincas/IMG_0076.jpg
    http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k37/tomasincas/IMG_0068.jpg
    Tom in Pennsylvania

• fossilbob
    16 years ago

I'm in a similar situation. I have a 1 acre yard which I have planted as woodland and prairie (still working on those:). I have several paths running through the woodland. (all woodchips), and they look nice.

However...some areas where I left lawn as a path are now bare (it figures...the few places I WANTED grass to grow:), and I intend to make a couple of new paths. Woodchips would look good, but chips do degrade, and the family has asked "how many truckloads of chips DO you want to haul each year???"

So, I'm planning to switch to concrete path stones of some sort...still trying to figure out the details.

• Iris GW
    16 years ago

For a path, try to use about 3 inches (depth) of chips. You should only need to refresh about every other year. Keep in mind that it improves the soil as it decomposes.

Old carpet is another solution (and you can put it underneath chips).

• bob64
    16 years ago

Old carpet (or cardboard or whatever is handy and not toxic to your soil) covered by wood chips sounds good. I have done this with cardboard and newspaper covered by wood chips but think carpet would hold the ground better on an incline. I have also used shredded paper and other lighter materials under the chips as a less heavy way to build up the path. Laziness and a certain preference for taking the cue from nature usually leads me to seeing if the lay of the land suggests paths and sitting areas -- it's easier than doing a lot of clearing anyway. Stepping stones should be partially set in the soil so the stones and you don't slip away. Thicker stones and stones with some non-slip texture are more practical. Slates look good but can send you skating and the thin ones dislodge easily. Some old logs or whatever as path borders help keep the chips from being knocked out of the path.

• yardmom
    16 years ago

You may need to mulch around stones or concrete steppers anyway, to keep weeds from taking over.

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH