Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
holleygarden

Are your lantana blooming?

I have some lantana that have been there for several years, but this year they are not blooming. Not one bloom. I made excuses - too early in the season, too hot (is there such a thing for lantana?), etc. But now, with September just around the corner, I'm wondering "Why aren't my lantana blooming?"

Are yours blooming?

Comments (14)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I'm in the same boat. I have a beautiful big bush of "Irene" lantana that is not blooming. It had a small smattering of little flowers earlier. As a young bush it bloomed some last year, but now nada. But the pink and yellow lantanas were blooming at ARE today. I took some pictures I'll post on the Gallery.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

My yellow ones have bloomed all season.

• bobbi_p
    13 years ago

The first time I lived in Texas, I cringed every time I went to a gardening talk and Texas Gold Lantana was always the first plant mentioned when someone asked for a non-stop through the heat bloomer. Mine always had an okay early spring flush then got attacked by lantana lacewing bugs that sucked the leaves dry/brown from the underneath, stopped further blooming, and were/are hard to treat because they live on the underneath side of the leaves. (Hard to spray insecticidal soap on the underside and I didn't want to use anything stronger because of the butterflies!)

When I moved into this house, I fell in love with a red/orange variety whose name escapes me. It bloomed well this spring, suffered a bit with the lacewings after that first flush, but has been/is blooming its head off for over a month now with no signs of stopping.

Check your leaves and see if they're patchy brown/dry. I would suspect lantana lacewing bugs...

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Bobbi! I ran outside to take a look-see, figuring this was it. But, no, no brown spots on the back.

So I took a good look. Mine have a white powder on the leaves, so I suspect powdery mildew. Didn't know lantana could get this, but I looked it up, and yes, if you water too late it can. :(

Well, not sure if powdery mildew affects blooms, but the newer growth looks much better. Thanks for getting me out there to take a good look. Roselee, do you think yours has an 'illness'?

• TxMarti
    13 years ago

Mine aren't blooming right now, but I expect that to change after the rain we just had.

I had lacebugs a couple of years and thought it was powdery mildew at first. Treated for both just in case.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Thanks Bobbi for showing us what the lantana lacewing bug looks like and the kind of damage it causes. That's good to know.

Holly, there are no sign of bugs or mildrew on the plant here and I'm mystified on why it hasn't bloomed well. It seems to be very healthy and has what looks like seeds forming although the earlier flowers were very VERY small, not a full rosette, but just a little color showing.

It's planted along the drive way where it gets a lot of sun. The link below shows what it is supposed to look like. Weird, huh? I think I'll try the color that Carrie has. Maybe the newer hybrids are just tempermental.

Is this one like yours Carrie?

Picture was taken at Antique Rose Emporium yesterday. For anyone interested there are more pictures on the gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Irene' lantana

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Just for the record those little things sticking up on the lantana are sterile. I just looked again and there were only five or six actual seeds sitting on those little 'things' on the whole plant.

• carrie751
    13 years ago

Roselee, I have no idea what variety mine are. I picked them up from a landscaping crew several years ago. They had thrown them to the curb, I asked if I could have them, and loaded the trunk of my car. Of course, since I was not prepared to get plants, I spent a couple of hours cleaning out the trunk. I go prepared at all time now.......LOL> They are planted around the base of a tree that is in a raised bed and they cascade over the sides. That means they are in partial shade and where the sprinkler catches them.

• ruthz
    13 years ago

I have 3 that have bloomed, and my favorite one (Dallas Red) has not. I thought it had died from the cold winter but now it's about 8" tall. Pinata is new so it doesn't count. My orange/gold and pink/yellow has bloomed like normal.

• tx_ag_95
    13 years ago

My "Confetti" has bloomed like crazy, once it got going. I moved one, which set it back a little, and the cold got to it. My "Dallas Red" has sat there, even the new plants I put out, and finally has started growing, but they're not blooming very well. That bed is in part shade and the rest are in full sun. I do wonder if that's part of it, but the Dallas Red did just fine there the last five years. Maybe they just need a year off?

• holleygarden Zone 8, East Texas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't know what kind mine are (Irene is a possibility), but I do have a few of those sterile seed heads on mine, too. Now I don't know if it's PM, lacewing, or just strange hybrid. Perhaps they thought most people would grow this as an annual so never tested the 'rebloom' aspect? Oh, well, guess I'll just wait till next year. If they do it again - out they go! Would have never thought lantana would give me trouble! lol

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I know Holly. Me too. I thought they were fool proof, but since the butterflies like them so much I'll go with the color that I saw growing at ARE. Nice to know from Carrie that they will take a little shade.

• cynthianovak
    13 years ago

mine are not blooming either. But that happens to me every year. In my garden it's probably the lack of sun or something. I get some blooms in the spring. Then the plants start growing and growing. Sometime in Sept. they put on a great show that seems to last until it gets cold.

I have Irene, Confetti, and Dallas Red.

On the street I have the gold low growing variety....Texas Gold maybe? It bloomed a lot in the late spring then a little off and on in the summer. It will bloom again in the fall too. but it is in more sun. Go figure....
    don't give up!

c

• crazykaos
    13 years ago

Mine haven't bllomed like they usually do either...

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting