Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_tx_gw

Fires in Central Texas

lucas_tx_gw
12 years ago

My sister-in-law lives near Dripping Springs and they were evacuated last night. They had enough warning and got out with all their livestock and helped some neighbors move horses as well. No news yet on their house.

I think this is also very close to where Mara lives but I can't find any information on the news about how/where the fire is.

Anyone else have any news?

Teri

Comments (37)

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

300 houses thousands of acres and a woman and child died- but I can not find out exactly where. I am so sorry for your SIL, at least they were able to get their livestock and their neighbors as well. It could have been much worse. We are so very dry here and I could smell burning last night, I was a nervous wreck, but all is well this morning. The news said we are in extereme fire wind advisory.

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I think maybe the one where the houses burned was at Steiner ranch on the west side of the lake. Where are you located?

Yes we're very grateful they got out OK and just praying the fires are controlled and no one else loses a house.

No better up here in North Texas, fires all around up here as well.

Still praying for rain.
    I'd have traded the cold front for the tropical storm in a heartbeat. I'd rather have the heat than the drought!

• carrie751
    12 years ago

My niece just sent me news of the ones in Bastrop county.....I grew up in Lee county. They are devastating, and I pray for all the people affected.

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

This sounds bad, real bad. Prayers for everyone down there in harm's way - and prayers for rain.

May God restore our beloved Texas.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

A friend who used to post on this forum had fires right up to the edge of their farm in Smiley, Texas which is near Nixon. It was determined they were started by wind causing power lines to rub together and ignite. Volunteer fireman were able to put it it. I guess there were fires all over Texas as a result of the wind and dry conditions.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I talked with my daughter who lives in Austin (in the hills by Lake Travis), and she said they put valuables in their cars yesterday just in case they had to evacuate in a hurry. These are serious times, and my heart just breaks for those that are left with the aftermath of the destruction.

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

my heart is with everyone. We had to ride to the livestock barn this morning. There was a fire less than 2 miles from our house. We are in South Bexar county on 1604. The fire looks like it did minimal damage to the outside of that house, the whole front yard (which was large out in the country here) was burnt to a crisp. I do not know that family. But I knew I could smell something burning.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

The Pedernales 1 fire AKA Pace Bend Fire Is threatening my home. Last night we were told that there was an evacuation but no one called. I heard it from my son who went to the neighborhood convenience store to here scuttle butt. the police would not let him return. . I loaded the car but staid. We were under the smoke plume. I think , now, I hope I am on the outer edge of the forecasted fire footprint.. They called off the evacuation , but not before I hurt myself. I sprained my ankle in the middle of last night dropping off a 2-3' berm in the dark trying to climb a ladder. My evacuated neighbor had called and told me to run , the fire was at my house. I went outside and , nothing. SO I ran to the ladder and ran off the embankment. DUMB.

There is NO coverage of this fire. Everyone is talking about about the Steiner ranch (20 homes destroyed, read million $ homes in a suburb versus small ranches and variable exburbs. Lots of aged hippies and some fancy homes. The Ped 1 fire has destroyed 55 homes in 7000 acres. They say it is 80% contained but the wind is still going and a new plume has gone up. I am watching the smoke plume as I am typing. As long as this wind blows, It is not over. It is not as thick as Yesterday, but it is closer.

Interesting about the power lines. They also think that someone might have lit a Barbecue. I won't let my son smoke outside.
    My car is loaded. All that remains to go in is my cats and my computer and n\my crutches. I am going for a nap, We are sleeping in shifts. My husband wants to cut all our trees down right by the house.

The guys in Bastrop are really screwed. I am praying for them. I know a couple of people who have been effected and staying at another friends house that is also threatened.

Fire is strengthening again . 71 is cut off after it was just opened. Lots of confusion about if there is a fire or an evacuation. Lots of people evacuated from Stage coach but reported as a fire. Things are real confusing. Labels changfe and can't tell if they are talking about the same fire or if there is another fire. They are reporting on the "Spicewood Fire" which could be the Pedernales 1 fire aka Pace Bend Fire AKA Paleface Fire, AKA Pedernales bend fire. All I know , it is what it is. A MESS!!!!!

A friend drove back from Houston and was forced into 4 detours because of wildfires,. only to get home and find a fire just down hill. The neighbors and fire dept. put that one out before it got large.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pedernales 1 fire

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Mara, thanks for checking in. So glad to hear you are safe for now. It's good to hear you are ready to go just in case.

There's a fire just north of us in Stone Oak or far north San Antonio up Hwy 281.

Ash is falling on us when we go outside. I don't think it can get here as there are major roads in between.

Always interested to hear about Steiner Ranch, that was my grandmother's family ranch and I spent time out there as a child. Still can't get used to it with houses though.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

We got the reverse 911 call but I am not obeying it right now. The 80% contained fire birthed another on in Reimers ranch. This land is accessible, has been cleared. An between it and Peacock ranch where the guy has severely trimmed trees. There is not a whole bunch to burn. 7 pump trucks are down there and the wind is dying down. The smoke plume has thinned considerably. I am going out to check on it. again.

I know how you feel about the homes on the land that you once knew. There is a a hunk in Pennsylvania that has houses on it that I remember all pristine. I can't bear to go to it.

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

we own a home in stone oak, they were told to volunteerily evacuate. As of 8:25 at night all is still okay and the house is not being effected. It is a house that we are currently renting to a young family.

Mara, be safe- And all of the rest of you as well. Hopefully this wind will pass and the dryness will ease a bit. Keep on praying

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Mara, it wasn't only wire rubbing together. They are probably strung far enough apart not to do that. Trees were involved. This is what she said:

~ ~ ~

I said, "Some total idiot flicked a cig on the side of the road and it went through the neighbors field in seconds jumped our drive and started burning the other neighbors field." That is what they thought first, but turns out the power lines were rubbing together against tree limbs in the wind and it started the fire and dropped down to the ground and took off. So to all idiot people who throw cigs out of the car window during a drought I apologize.
    ~ ~ ~

Here is a link that might be useful: About the fires with videos ...

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

Wind is down to 1-3 miles an hour. I went out on the nearby ridge and looked down on the fire and it was just hanging smoke. Best I have seen in days. The evacuation has been lifted. My cats are angry at me because I shoved them in the box AGAIN in preparation. I was on the way to unplug my computer AGAIN when The wind and smoke started behaving. The cats have been freed. I will sleep better tonight. OH yea, I didn't sleep last night

• soxxxx
    12 years ago

I live in mid East Texas (Rusk County). Before sunset today I could see high billowing smoke in 3 directions. There is no immediate threat to my property at this time, but fires have been breaking out one after another for 2 days. I am afraid to go very far from home.

I raked back leaves and straw on the property (not mine) behind me, and have wet down my wooden fences several times. My home is only at risk on one side.

It saddens me that the timber that has struggled to stay alive in this drought is now being destroyed by fire.

Thanks to the fire fighters that are working so hard for such long hours.

• lizzieshome
    12 years ago

I live in east texas too(Houston County). Our county firefighters have fought continuously for 3 days now. One fire around crockett has burned about 3,000 acres(so I read) and has been mostly contained I believe. Not sure how many structures were involved or if the people who were evacuated have been able to return home. Another large fire outside of Grapeland is still being fought(since sunday). Anderson county has had several huge, horrible fires also...several homes lost from what I hear. It has been a long weekend. Hats off and prayers to all of our firefighters. These are all volunteers who have had no sleep.

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

glad everyone stayed safe

• ltcollins1949
    12 years ago

Here is a may of theTexas Wildfires.

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Gina - Looks like they let everyone in Stone Oak go home last night, but the smoke smell was pretty heavy. We are just south of there and the smell was all in the house here. The windows are wide open this morning and it's not bad.

The Stone Oak fire was started by a CPS (utility) truck that overheated while in the field.

• ltcollins1949
    12 years ago

I meant to say map of the fires!

• rcnaylor
    12 years ago

Such a terrible thing.

We had a bad run of wild fires up here earlier in the year.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those in the affected areas.

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

we had lots of smoke here about an hour or so ago. I was very nervous. I am not sure where it came from- but it is gone now. The stone oak one came within 2 miles or so of the rental we have there. Too close for comfort. I hope we get some rain. Just saw that there is a small disturbance- may or may not become something by tomorrow. It is close to texas already. I am praying for it to come by - at least to ease my nerves on the whole thing. We moved out in the country a little over a year ago, from that house in stone oak- and the house we bought here had fires come right up to it in the last drought.- So the whole thing has me on edge.

• novascapes
    12 years ago

I heard on the radio that there has been over 3 million acres burned in Texas since last December.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I have heard that the FEDS have taken over in Bastrop and is turning away firefighters. I am not sure how I feel about this but I can't see turning away help at a time like this. I also realize that what was being done was not working.

I had a friend who fought for their house until they ran out of water and they succeeded. The fire came to their porch. They NEVER saw a fire fighter. Matter of fact there was an announcement that there were no people to protect structures and the resources were stretched thin as could be. I think this was on Sunday. There are lots of volunteers in the woods around the Pedernales River with shovels and saws. First the authorities ran them off, then they looked the other way. Then they were down at the convenience store looking for more volunteers unofficially..

I fought a small grass fire at my place a month ago and we had it under control before the Fire Department got there 30 minutes later. I know I can be effective on small fires and as a spotter. I do hear that the fire in Bastrop is so hot that people without water squirting vehicles can not get close enough to have an effect. There is news that tanks and a DC 10 tanker are being brought in. That is Hearsay. LOts of miss info circulating.

THe "fog of War" is defenitely thick and swirling when one gets close.This has been my experience. We spent a lot of time on police scanners, looking off of hilltop ridges with binoculars, researching the internets, calling friends in affected neighborhoods, and circulating the info on conjoined email lists that were set up in the neighborhoods around Pedernales river fire. The media has really dropped the ball here as a provider of info for those effected. If it was bad weather they would have interjected the TV programs with a constant interruption. But here in Austin area, very little airtime. Even the telephone numbers supplied by the county have been bereft of usable info. They just tell you to leave your house and let it burn. I did not leave. If it got dangerous I would have left. I am by a good road with an intersection and a way to get away from the fire in three directions. I never have been a blind rule follower unless I see a good rational reason for it.

Here is a link that might be useful: The FEDS and Bastrop

• TxMarti
    12 years ago

The fires in Bastrop are the worst I've seen in Texas. I just hate that so many people have lost homes, livestock, and of course the lives of people lost.

We saw several fires in Ellis County Sunday, and there was smoke over us this morning for awhile. I don't know where it came from.

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

mara is there anything you need? I have been reading story after story and it is all so sad. Please email me direct if there is something I can do to help you. God Bless. We are praying for you all.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Has anyone heard from Jolana?

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

A fire today northwest of San Antonio was 70% contained the last I heard. As far as I can find out, for the next two days the likehood of fires could be a bit worse. Such a shame!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I am fine , Beside sleep and serenity, I am only in need of Rain, lots of rain.

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

We all want that. Will be hoping and praying. The Camp Bullis fire was said to be contained, but only time will really tell.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

Jolana posted on my Facebook page, she is fine....the wind changed direction.

• flowernay
    12 years ago

Sending positive thoughts and prayers to everyone in the path of the fires.

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Thanks

• linda_tx8
    12 years ago

Another four homes burned south of San Antonio today. And the whole Bastrop area...horrific destruction there! It just never ends, does it?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I come under the class of almost screwed, a miss is a mile. Exhausted but in a whole 'nother class than the victims. There are benefits all over Austin this weekend. A lot of places to go and donate stuff and money to.

• burntplants
    12 years ago

Yeah, the wildfires this year have smashed all the previous records.

Check out this link below.
    "Six of the 10 largest wildfires in Texas history occurred in 2011."
    Wow. Scary.

Texas is burning.

Here is a link that might be useful: This Texas wildfire season

• carrie751
    12 years ago

The Bastrop Food Pantry will take donations by phone....they can get food supplies at a big discount, so anything you may want to give would help.....

512-303-0033, www.bastropfoodpantry.org.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

I was reading about the BIG BURN of 1910 in Idaho where 3 million acres burned in 1 fire. It was the impetuous for the forestry Department to take on the fighting of fires as part of their mission.

The riley fire in Northeast Texas has now burned 39000 acres. So many fires in North east Texas. Soxxx, stay safe. They are clustered all around you. How are you doing now?