Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
trsinc

How many vegie gardeners here?

trsinc
16 years ago

There are so few posts regarding vegetables here, I was just wondering how many we have.

What are your favorites to plant in winter? My only one so far is cilantro. I just haven't had the opportunity to try lettuce, broccoli, etc. yet.

Comments (16)

• sandradee
    16 years ago

DH is the veggie gardener but I oftentimes get stuck with watering what he plants. He's just finishing up the peppers and tomatoes now and what he doesn't finish will probably get finished off by the frost/freeze tonight.

He's mostly a spring gardener, but will again try snow peas fairly soon, hoping for a harvest before a hard freeze. Last spring, his crop got zapped before harvest - major bummer. He tends to forget to check the weather and cover the plants when necessary.

Sandy

• glenn73
    16 years ago

Comfort in the Hill Country here. My vegetable garden for winter is well under way. I have potatoes onions,spinach,lettuce,broccoli,cabbage,kale,turnips,English peas,bell pepper is still making,and I just turned under a nice row of Roma II beans. (excellent by the way)
    Hope to have a mess of English peas for Christmas dinner. Our first freeze is the 16th of Nov. but so far nothing on the weather channels indicate one by then. Maybe I can get a few potatoes.
    What do you have in the ground? .

• toadlilly
    16 years ago

All I have this year are 3 tomatoes and 2 bell peppers plants. My herbs are in the flower garden area. I'm going to plant some salad in the tub that holds the tomatoes this wk.

Someday I'll have a real garden with real veggies, not a big honking one like hubby likes to plant (and leave to be tended by someone else) but a square ft one. The corners will have perniall herbs/veggies, the middle will rotate crops with the season. I had one before and it did well, more care (and better plan) would have yeilded more, but it was a kid's garden so it was crazy. We did have lots of thornless blackberries, watermelon, cherry tomatoes and radishes. And memories, lots of memories. I guess thats my favorite crop:). CJ

• beachplant
    16 years ago

I put some stuff in the community garden where I have a plot. Not enough sun at the house.
    Turnip, mustard greens, cabbage, onions, some flowers, turnips, swiss chard planted, lettuce will go in this week.
    We do have an asparagus plot in the garden too.
    Tally HO!

• mikeandbarb
    16 years ago

I wish I could do a veggie garden but it's just to much work for me. I do grow peppers for DH he would go into a coma if he didn't get any LOL. I have done a little veggie growing when I was young and had a place to grow them.
    All of y'alls veggies sound yummy and I know how much better fresh home grown veggies taste.

I tried to grow eggplant in containers this year, it did not work out not one eggplant on either plant, Had a few flowers.

• trsinc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

glenn73, all I have right now are hot peppers which are soon to go, and herbs. I'm going to give radishes and leaf lettuce a shot... see what happens and how. This will be the first time I've grown any veg during winter. Your garden sounds fantastic. So do the others. This thread is making me hungry. Anyway, don't know what I'm getting into so this will be a small experiment, this year.

• hitexplanter
    16 years ago

I do a few maters and peppers during the warm season. Slow getting cool season crop in this year. Plan on rotating some lettuces (leaf) and spinach from seed this week. Everything is grown in containers on the deck for mobility (freezes and sun needs), close to kitchen and away from deer. Maybe will fence off some area next spring and do some raised beds but containers have been my answer for several years now.
    Happy Growing David

• marlingardener
    16 years ago

We have two major gardens--the spring garden and the fall. Fall is more productive for us (fewer bugs and more rain). Right now we have in garlic, onions, lettuce, broccoli, spinach, corn salad, rocket and carrots. Our fall carrots don't get very large, but they sure are sweet! Since we now have more space, we are experimenting with a seasonal garden (smaller) for in-and-out crops, a larger garden for the long season plants like tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, etc. and a dedicated garden for onions and garlic. We also have an asparagus patch to be planted this coming February. Thanks to a wonderful neighbor down the road who has a tractor and tiller, we aren't breaking our backs digging and tilling!

• gardenspice
    16 years ago

I'm a veggie gardener.
    In the winter I usually plant cilantro, lots of lettuce,spinach Brocolli and cauliflower. I've tried Brussel sprouts, but the weather seems to have to be just right - meaning cold enough.
    The winter garden is so easy compared to summer gardening, but it looks like we may be having a dry one this year.

• denisew
    16 years ago

I don't always grow a lot of veggies, but I really enjoy growing lettuce in the winter. Black-seeded Simpson is my favorite with Red Sails coming in second. I also plant a batch of mesclin greens to mix with the salad - very yummy stuff! It should be ready in time for Thanksgiving and more at Christmas. Try planting some lettuce seed in late Janury (or earlier if you are further south.

• texazgal
    16 years ago

I keep trying to garden, but it just won;t rain here in Lampasas, we are soooo dry., but never the less, I have arugula that came volunteer in the low garden and tomatoes that survived the summer in the upper garden and they are doing ok, also bought green peppers, but got them in too late. I will pot them up and move into greenhouse when we finish it..Got asparagus, fennel, parsley, artichoke which can just be left alone out there. Am gonna try to still get some more greens planted, but mostly am going to experiment gardening in the new greenhouse. I've wanted this thing for years!!!

• trsinc
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Everyone,

And congratulations on your gardens. Especially you texazgal. How lucky you are.

I'll post again in spring or earlier, to let you know how it went and to hear how your things were. So nice to hear from Texas veg gardeners. The vegie forum is really good, but so many people are in other states... Almost like other countries, lol.

• fliptx
    16 years ago

I grow mostly vegetables, with a few herbs and a couple of flowers along the way. I wish I could grow more but I don't get much sun in my garden. I'm saving up some $$ to get my ash tree trimmed a bit, which should give me more light in the mornings.

Right now I've got my fall crop going:

Beets: Chioggia, albino, Early Wonder
    Fava beans: Aquadulce, Broad Windsor
    Lettuce: Orielles du Diable
    Kale: Winterbor, Red Russian, Nero di Toscano
    Leaf Broccoli: Spigariello
    Leeks: Kilima
    Misc. Brassicas: Ching-Chiang Pak Choy, Even'Star tatsoi, Senposai
    Spinach: Giant Noble

I've also got remnants of my late summer-planted cornfield beans still going. I'm thinking about putting in a few snowpeas.

• beachplant
    16 years ago

I read something last week and brussels sprouts was on the list for WORST vegetables to grow in our area (Galveston).
    I plan to put in some Asian veggies too, either this month or in the spring.
    Tally HO!

• gora
    16 years ago

I grow mostly veggies in my garden in Houston suburb. Just planted some spinach, bok choy in the bed. Last week harvested a good crop of sweet potatoes for the first time and was happy with the bounty.

• User
    16 years ago

This summer, I had a real garden for the first time in years. I don't have anything planted now except okra is still growing. I've quit picking it, but it's still growing. lol I also have peppers & they are in a protected spot so should be ok for the first few frosts.