Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
katrinavhh

Steam oven options, please help!

katrinavhh
14 years ago

We are finally ready to order the wall ovens, and I have been surprised by a new choice that is throwing me a curve-ball...the Sharp steam oven/micro combo... Please help!

My original plan was to order a Viking combi steam oven to be built-in above a Viking convection oven. (They are Viking because we have a family friend with a huge discount, and I am OK with the reviews.) But, I have just learned of the Sharp steam oven that could take the place of the microwave (yet to be purchased). Here are the tradeoffs as I see them.

Opinions VERY welcome!

Background:

- Young couple building first "real" house, plan to live here for 15+ years, have one 2 year old and would love more, I cook every day and love it, DH doesn't cook at all but enjoys the fact that I do :)

- Cost is an issue, we are on tight budget, but I have bought ALL other appliances at discount scratch & dent so I could afford a really nice set of ovens

Choices:

1. Viking steam oven and second convection oven (built in wall) + regular microwave (under counter)

2. Viking double convection ovens (in wall) + Sharp steam oven/microwave (under counter)

Trade-offs:

Choice 1:

- I would only have one full-size oven with this set-up. I do a lot of cooking and have never had two ovens but always wanted them. Will I miss having a second full-size oven? The steam oven interior seems so much smaller, but I'm not sure that actually matters if it fits most of what I'd be cooking. I won't, for example, be roasting two huge turkeys at one time, I don't think.

- If I buy the Viking steam oven, I have to do stainless. I wanted white ovens (I know that is passe, but I like that they would blend in with the cabinets and be less "showy"). Viking doesn't make the steam oven in anything but stainless

Choice 2:

- I would have to have our cabinets re-built slightly to allow the extra height required for the Sharp unit. The boxes have been built, so this would be an extra cost, but it doesn't look like a huge adjustment. (Needs another 2.5 inches)

- I have read that to use the regular microwave feature of the Sharp takes several steps in the interface, which will be annoying with all of the quick microwaving I do all day long (15 secs here, 30 sec there, etc.)

- BUT this appliance combination would be $1,000 LESS than Choice #1

- If I do the two regular ovens, I would want to order them in white, but I just learned that they take 4-6 weeks to manufacture so we would be living without ovens for a few weeks. If we do the other, I am forced into stainless, and everything would be available in 3 days.

Okay, what am I missing? Any opinions out there? Please weigh in! I need help!

Comments (5)

• User
    14 years ago

I'd get the single oven and the Sharp combo and save even more $$$.

How can you miss something you've never had?

Viking prob. doesn't make their steam oven anyway.

Be sure to check the spes on either if you are putting them undercounter. They take a lot of room with their trim kits and 30" is not a typical base size in most kitchens.

• scrappy25
    14 years ago

Doesn't the Sharp also operate in convection oven mode only, without steam? Seems that you can put it over your Viking as a 2nd oven. It's not a huge cavity but certainly large enough for what you'd usually use a 2nd oven for. You could have a small mw elsewhere under counter for the kids in a cavity, one of those $100 ones and still come out ahead. Honestly, I think I've needed two microwaves more than I have needed two ovens on a day to day basis. This way you'd have two of both.

I wouldn't put the Sharp under counter. When you open the door in steam mode, you'd get a face full of steam. It has to be wiped out at the end of the day and there is a good handtowel or more of water to sop up. (I used my mother's for a few days). I didn't use the mw mode since she has another mw so can't speak to that. It looks like a great multifunction machine.The Sharp is 24 inches wide but the trim for building it in makes it 30 inches wide, to allow for necessary clearances on the sides.

Good luck!

• drjoann
    14 years ago

Per the specs, the Sharp Super Steam must be installed counter height or higher.

I'd be interested in the responses you get because I'm looking for some combination of range or rangetop with a least two ovens. I'm really intrigued by the Sharp because it seems to do so much at a great price point.

Jo Ann (longtime lurker & 1st time poster to this forum)

• vpierce
    14 years ago

We are in the middle of a kitchen remodel and were thinking of putting the Sharp steam oven in our new kitchen. We bought it a couple of months ago and have been using it in our temporary kitchen. I haven't used the steam oven part of it yet, but the microwave oven is very underpowered (I believe it is 700 watts). In fact, we are considering not putting it in our remodel and going back to a higher powered microwave. You might check out the Consumer Reports on microwaves--they noted the same thing about the Sharp steam oven. As far as the functionality, yes, you do have to push the "Microwave" button, then turn the dial to make a selection of manual, sensor, etc., then push "Enter", then enter the time, then push "Start", so there are definitely more steps to getting the microwave going than with a microwave only oven. I find it slightly annoying, but I could live with it if the microwave were more powerful.

• katrinavhh
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, all, for your advice. Antss you have given great advice in the past to me and I appreciate your perspective. My mom also reminds me of what is really necessary (not much!) and that highlights that much of these decisions are irrational anyway. :)

The info you all are providing on the Sharp is making it clear it is not the best choice for us. I need a high powered micro and it needs to go in the spot allowed. (Oven area is totally separate work zone, so the micro over there won;t make sense for me.) I'm going with the $$ Viking combo and I'll shop for a stand-alone microwave to put in the niche under the counter. I'll post updates when this is all said and done. Thanks again!!