Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
clones2

Best looking/quality heirlooms?

clones2
12 years ago

Grew several different heirloom tomatoes this year and had mixed results with quality. Most seemed to crack at the tops and "green shoulders" was a common occurence. Didn't seem to matter if I ripened them on the vine or indoors.

Anyone have favorites for looks and quality for heirloom tomatoes? Obviously want something that tastes good, but am trying to determine what to plant next year and am open to suggestions.

Thanks.

Comments (11)

• digdirt2
    12 years ago

Cracking and green shoulders is often more of a growing conditions issue than a variety issue. Some growing, conditions like unusual weather, we can't control. But many of them, such as over-crowding, proper support, judicious pruning only, stabilizing soil mositure levels, adequate nutrients, drip irrigation, avoiding overhead watering, etc. etc., we can control. So you may need to take a close look as any possible improvements needed in that area too.

You don't indicate your zone or where you live so some varieties may work better than others, but yes, there are any number of heirloom and OP varieties that are quite attractive given the right growing conditions. Consider
    1884, Black Krim, Aunt Ginny's Purple, and Druzba. They all perform consistently well for me.

Earl's Faux and Dr. Lyle are another couple of possibilities.

Dave

• clones2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks... some better growing conditions may help as well. :-)

Black Krim worked pretty well for me... and I am actually trying some Druzba as well.

Thanks.

• abayomi
    12 years ago

Jaunne flamme

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

Rutgers very safe and pretty and tasty

• carolyn137
    12 years ago

If only for home use I wouldn't worry about green shoulders and splits near the stem and here's why.

There's a gene called the uniform ripening gene which allows for fruits to ripen up to the stem. It's found in some heirloom varieties and not in many others. So the green shouldered ones are going to stay that way b'c they lack that gene. That gene is also bred into almost all hybrid varieties.

There's three kinds of splitting that can be seen, two near the stem and one otherwise on the fruits which is usually due to too much water, whether from irrigation or rain.

Radial splitting and concentric splitting at the stem end also are at least partially genetic in origin for many varieties. Those splits usually heal over just fine but with heavy rain they can resplit and just with the normal bacteria and fungi in the air they can be infected and start a rotting process.

I could make a list here of varieties that don't have green shoulders and don't tend to have splits near the stem, but again, if only for home use I'd concentrate on what tastes the BEST that you grow according to your taste perception.

Cosmetic perfection is great but not always attainable, trust me, as I age I know that for myself very well, and so I rely on inner qualities, not the exterior qualities.

And that, for me at least, is how I think of cosmetic perfection of the fruits of different varieties.

That is TASTE rules. And there are many MANY variables that play a role in the taste of tomatoes. Variety X can taste great one season and be mealy and bland the next season.

Hope that helps,

Carolyn

• John A
    12 years ago

Two of the best tasting yet best looking are Opalka and Aunt Gerties Gold. Give credit to Dr Carolyn for both of them. John A

• clones2
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the replies. I believe I am going to try Opalka next year as a backup paste tomato. I grew Martinos Roma this year and the quality of these tomatoes was absolutely amazing! Couldnt get over the look and quantity of them...

I had very mixed results from the other heirlooms this year though. I grow about another half dozen varieties for fun and I will definitely use some of the suggestions here.

• dickiefickle
    12 years ago

If you grow many varieties,most likely you will have some mixed results every year.

• californian
    12 years ago

If you ever decide to sell tomatoes Opalka is a very easy tomato to sell. For the first time this year I decided to sell tomatoes, mainly because of the bumper crop I had this year. Managed to sell around $500 worth of tomatoes off 29 plants, besides the ones we ate ourselves or gave away or spoiled. I let my customers go out in my garden and point out the tomatoes they wanted, and when they saw the Opalkas they would usually want every ripe one on the plant, particularly if they were a repeat customer and had already sampled it. They are an unusually shaped luscious looking tomato and everyone wants to try it.
    But be sure to cage the plant. Last year I also grew Opalka and had poor results because I let it sprawl and most of the fruits spoiled. But if you cage it most of the fruit doesn't spoil, except for a few that might get BER, which if not too bad you can cut off the bad part if the tomatoes are for your own use.

• jwr6404
    12 years ago

From past experience I would recommend Pale Perfect Purple. This year my German Johnson provided an ample supply of Tomatoes that meet your criteria.

• aloha10
    12 years ago

Try one called Chapman. Outstanding results this year as to productivity and appearance. Box Car Willie is usually quite dependable as well. Haven't tried Opalka yet.

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville