Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justhebasics

blue star rnb or rcs?

justhebasics
16 years ago

I'm ready to purchase a Blue Star 6 burner range (my current range is an old four burner Hotpoint electric) and have a couple questions before doing it (please feel free to point me to other posts addressing these questions- I didn't see any in a quick search):

RNB or RCS?

Max BTUs on the top burners: 22K (RNB) vs 18K (RCS). I'm looking forward to cooking with higher heat and am expecting a possibly steep learning curve making the switch but is there a big enough difference between 22K and 18K burners to make the RNB the obvious choice?

Convection oven: RNB has it; RCS doesn't. I have never used a convection oven and doubt I'd miss not having it if I went with the RCS (cutting my baking time by 30% - 40% doesn't seem that important to me), but should I reconsider? Are the benefits of convection baking worth making sure I have it as an option?

I also saw posts extolling the virtues of having casters on the bottom of the range to facilitate moving the range for various reasons but then other posts are saying that once it's hooked up to the gas line, moving the range is not an option (or not a good idea). Should I wrestle the range in place without the casters and assume it will stay there forever or should I go for the casters?

Thanks very much for any comments or suggestions!

Comments (12)

• mccall
    16 years ago

It all depends on your cooking but I went for the 22K burners because I wanted all the power available when I wanted it. and it is not like you HAVE to use it at 22k power all the time they go to a good low simmer, not quite as low as the simmer itself but low.
    I also want the option of the convection it is a good thing to have for some types of cooking, again you don't have to use it all the time but if you need it it is there.
    This is probably a one time purchase and you should get the maximum from it.
    the casters are nice. but most of us don't get them, and you can use cheaper sliders under the feet if you like.

• theknitter01
    16 years ago

Get the convection - typcially, the conversion is lower the temp by 25 degrees or drop the time by 25%. For me....the time isn't the reason to get convection - for me....the reason to get convection is that it does roasting so much nicer than without.....

Whether it is a Christmas bird (we do goose) or a prime rib roast the convection is amazing as it seems to me that it sears the outside of whatever you are roasting and as a result it just is more moist, juicier etc. For me it was a no brainer.....

The added advantage is the ability to bake multiple racks of cookies and the like at the same time.....you don't have to do as much swapping of cookie sheets to get the even baking across the multiple racks....

Once you make the convection decision the burner decision is made.....

Good luck with it....

Marion K.

• mondragon
    16 years ago

I don't have BS convection but I have electric convection wall ovens and love them. For me they make a difference.

As far as the BTUs of the burners, because of the star design the 18K turned all the way up is plenty hot for most things, so most of the time I use it and the 22K front burners interchangeably. But when I want to sear something or use the wok (which I do pretty often) I really notice the extra heat, or specifically how fast it gets back up to high heat after adding ingredients to the pan.

• PRO
    Trevor Lawson (Eurostoves Inc)
    16 years ago

Both the RNB and the RCS have convection fans.

As for casters in my mind they are only good for putting the range in place after that i doubt anyone really moves it that ofter. If you want to clean under the range that can be done that without moving the range. A downside of the casters is once they are fitted onto the range the hight is set at 36", caters are not adjustable.

• mccall
    16 years ago

Trevor, when did that happen Bluestar website still shows only the RNB not RCS having convection.

• sleepyhollow
    16 years ago

I couldn't care less about the convection - I have the rangetop but with regard to the burners - 4000 BTU makes a difference when you are stir-frying with a wok - it is not the temperature - it is the recovery time. The last thing you want is your food braising because the burner can't keep up. If you don't stir-fry it probably doesn't matter much but then again, everyone boils water - how patient are you? :)
    Sleepyhollow

• justhebasics
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the comments! I have some specific follow-up questions:

- Following on to mccall's question to trevor- are the specification sheets for the RCS and RNB ranges on the Blue Star web site out of date? I'll call the dealer tomorrow and ask about convection option in the RCS ranges.

- I do cook using a big wok quite a bit and did not think about the reduced recovery time using 22K BTUs which sounds great to me. Does anyone have any other comments about making the switch from wok cooking on a lame electric burner to a 22K BTU burner?

- Mondragon, you mention using 18K and 22K burners interchangeably, but the other non-simmer burners on the RNB range or BS cook tops are 15K. Did you mean you're using 15K and 22K burners interchangeably?

Thanks again for the comments and suggestions.....

• User
    16 years ago

Several folks have reported that the new RNB ranges have a new 'rolling lower rack'. Haven't seen it yet.

• theknitter01
    16 years ago

I think the comment about the interchangeable burners is that you can move the 22K burners to another spot if you want to (either through the factory or others on GW have done it themselves....).

On the 36" there are 2 22K burners, 3 15K burners and the simmer burner (which supposed to be around or 9 10K)....

I would check with the a store or the factory because I just bought my RNB 36" (which is great BTW) and thought that the RCS stil didn't have the convection - convection is important to me so that's why I went RNB (6 dozen cookies at a time last night and nothing burnt.....better than the 36" Wolf AG that it replaced!!!!!).

As for the rolling rack - yes it does have it and it is very cool!!.

Can you tell that I am happy with my BS?

Marion K.

• guadalupe
    16 years ago

You can purchase the rolling rack as an accessory

• tommmy2007
    16 years ago

In your original question you asked about moving the stove. Between the stove and the wall rigid plumbing line there is a flexible gas supply line (usually near a yard long) this gives you the extra length so you can move the stove around some.

• mccall
    16 years ago

In regard to wok cooking, you can remove the grate completely and cook right in the bowl, nice feature.