Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jkyle_gw

dealing with existing baseboard heaters

jkyle
12 years ago

I'm just starting a basement renovation, the existing basement had a finished (plaster) ceiling, wood paneling on 1/2" furring strips (no insulation) and gluedown tile on the concrete. I've already installed a laminate floor on delta FL, and have started removing paneling. I'd like to increase the insulation in the walls, but I can't put up 2x4s as the finished wall surface would stick out beyond the baseboard heaters (which appear to be mortised into the masonry walls).

What I was thinking of doing was nailing another 1/2" furring strip on top of the existing, using 1" foam board insulation in between, and 1/2" drywall on top. This puts my finish surface just inboard of the baseboard heaters. My issue is adding electrical. There doesn't appear to be an outlet box that is only 1-1/2" deep, so even if I mounted boxes tight to the concrete they would stick out from the wall. So is this OK code wise if they do stick out? I'd be homerunning flex from the ceiling to each new box. Or could I run the conduit behind the drywall and enter a surface mounted box from the rear so at least the conduit wouldn't be visible? Or should I stick to a wiremold type system?

Comments (5)