Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
seysonn

Next Season Tomato Planting Plans - 2015

seysonn
9 years ago

We (most of us in US and Canada) are calling it a season, as far as tomato growing goes. I, myself, am waiting for a sunny day to do my fall clean up an prep:

=== Cut, put away, dispose off all plants.
=== Remove all cages and stake ... store them.
=== Cover raised beds with plastic: REASON: we get almost 30 inches of rain starting November til the end of April. ( 5 in per month average). Too much rain will literally rinse the soil from nutrients.

Next Item on the agenda:
Think about what varieties I would want to grow:
== zap list ( about 7)
== keep list ( about 7 )
== add list ( about 3 or 4)

Germination and Grow under light:
This is a long way away, probably will start in mid/late Feb. 2015. I have everything I need in place and plus I have gained some experience from the last time.

Come Spring (~ March):
** I will amend the beds, make it ready for plant out and cover them with BLACK plastic this time.
** Have already couple of mini hoops. I might make one or 2 more to get an early start.

So what are your plans for 2015 ? From preparation, selection, germination, .. all the way to plant out ?

What have you learned from this past season, good practice or mistakes ?

I dream of 2015.

Comments (5)

• labradors_gw
    9 years ago

I have learned - finally - that peat or newspaper pots are not so good for my seedlings as plastic pots because the plastic ones hold the moisture better. Therefore I have ordered some plastic 3" pots for use under my grow lights.

I have learned that planting my tomatoes only 2' apart makes them too crowded. Either I will HAVE to prune them to one stem or plant them further apart. Still unresolved.

I intend to grow 6 dwarfs, 6 cherries and at least 6 large fruited tomatoes. I have figured out a few places to stash extra seedlings around the property.

I loved the Pro-mix for veggies this year and will use that again for seedlings and containers.

I have learned that fish meal and ground eggshells are not good in containers, and if I use those amendments in my seedling containers for the plants which will go into the ground, I should NOT sprinkle them near the stem because they cause decay. (The eggshells are for the worms enjoyment this year and for my plants next year!)

Linda

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

mmm, just got my order from Tatiana tomatobase... yep, lots of decisions to be made. Great varieties and I want them all LOL
    Got my compost piles cooking
    Got my soil tested, funny to buy sea salt at the store and then sprinkle it in the garden...

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fall clean up is number one item on the my agenda as a prelude to 2015 grow season. Finally forecast looks good for this coming weekend. to get rid of the old plants and just do a general clean up.
    The next item will be to get some plastic sheet and cover/staple on the frame. So this is going to be putting the garden to bed. :-)

After those are done, there will be a "Do Nothin " time for a while, until getting started with germinating. I love retirement . hehe

I will write about my germinating and growing under light later. In the meantime you can talk about whatever you would like to share.

Seysonn

This post was edited by seysonn on Thu, Nov 6, 14 at 4:52

• seysonn
    Original Author
    9 years ago

FALL CLEAN UP: Done

Today was a sunny and pleasant day. So I did my fall clean up by removing all plants, the green tomatoes. stakes and the cages . I did not disturb the soil, b/c I want to spray the beds with fungicide, to kill all the bacteria and fungi on the surface.

The next step will be covering the beds with plastic and putting the beds to bed. But before that I would let the beds to air a bit. I plan to amend the soil in the spring just before plant out by adding, manure, pine bark fine and granular fertilizer, about a month before plant out.

Happy Retirement !

• sheltieche
    9 years ago

This year compost was made with addition of many goodies- micro elements that are missing from the soil according to soil test, EM, minerals etc.
    Piles are now cooling and full of worms. Covered them for the winter period.
    Adding wood chips to the perennial garden and looking over catalogs which perennials to grow for next year swap. Def want primulas but rest still undecided.
    Got seeds packaged for the Tormato swap.
    Got most of my varieties wants 2015, including most requested in 2014 and famous Margaret Curtain. Now the biggest dilemma is cutting my must grow list to acceptable number.

Sponsored
Columbus Premier Design-Build and General Contractor