Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susancol_gw

Vintage Ripes

susancol
14 years ago

I visited my in-laws in South Florida for Thanksgiving, and brought home some fresh produce - since their season is just starting. Bought some "Vintage Ripe" tomatoes. Looked good and tasted pretty good. Especially for this time of year. They were sold as heirlooms, which I take to mean that they should be OP as well, but are they really? I mean, like if I were to save seeds would they grow true? They're produced by Six L's Farms.

Are other varieties so much better that it isn't worth the bother? And if so, which varieties would those be?

Just Curious.

Susan

Comments (11)

• yotetrapper
    14 years ago

I'm not sure, but I would suggest trying it. The worst that could happen is that they weren't really heirlooms and you'll get a nasty tomato. Otherwise, you should get one just as the ones you ate, if they're not lying about them being heirlooms....

• br33
    14 years ago

There are to many GOOD heirlooms that are better tasting and more suited for Atlanta area. I`ve grown Tomatoes in Atlanta for 25 years. PM me and I`ll send you some GOOD Heirloom seeds. Good luck Bill

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

Six L farms deals with mass-production, especially in Florida. They're more of a huge umbrella company with lots of smaller "big farm" interests under the umbrella. They own the "ugly ripe" trademark, too.

It's most likely a custom hybrid, fwiw.

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

Oh yeah...

One of the main reasons it tasted good is (along with the "ugly ripes") they grow and ship them post-green so they're actually truly ripened. They take larger field losses because of the extended time left on the plants to ripen, but they're at least more ripened than most supermarket tomatoes.

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

Also, ooops...they don't own the "ugly ripe" trademark. The tomatoes are both produced under similar growing conditions, though.

• HoosierCheroKee
    14 years ago

Try contacting Six L Farms and asking them what's up with "Vintage Ripe."

• geeboss
    14 years ago

Six L Farms tomato link

http://www.sixls.com/products.php?gallery=7&category=2

Here is a link that might be useful: Vintage Ripe Tomatoes

• geeboss
    14 years ago

Seedlings link for Six L Farms

http://www.sixls.com/page.php?page=rediplants

Hybrid F1's

• HoosierCheroKee
    14 years ago

Most of the promo material from Six L Farms indicates a "vintage style" proprietary tomato cultivar. The term "heirloom" appears rather loosely used by Six L, in my opinion. And I wouldn't doubt the variety is hybrid or their special selection pending pvp. That's why I suggested contacting them and asking pointed questions rather than relying on promo material.

Also, I don't know so much about the degree of vine ripeness at which the tomatoes are picked since 90% of Six L's product is shipped "green ripe" according to their own promo material. I imagine the tomatoes shown in photographs are especially chosen from stock ripened under controlled conditions to make the optimum presentation. And the ones in the store most likely are ripened under gas just like most other Florida fresh market tomatoes. Just more opinion on my part, I admit.

• nc_crn
    14 years ago

SixL pumps a lot of market tomatoes out. Their "ripe" series, amazingly for a large grower corp, is field ripened more than most tomatoes. That's what's up with the premium foam packaging. The higher price is a result of huge field losses (40-50%), too. Ethylene ripening may be used to some degree, but for the most part they are picked/shipped while ripening.

• geeboss
    14 years ago

last sentence says it all from the seedling link

http://www.sixls.com/page.php?page=rediplants

"Six LÂs to successfully develop and deliver the finest proprietary varieties available as an added benefit exclusively for Six L's clients."