Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
barb_moberg

Panel Ready Refrigerator

Barb Moberg
14 years ago

My husband and I are interested in purchasing a Kitchen Aid panel ready refrigerator. Recently we found a good price on a 48 inch one at a Scratch and Dent store. (This refrigerator has no scratches or dents. Also, it comes with a warranty.) The only thing we don't like about it is that it has white trim around the perimeter and around the top where the compressor is and the water/ice dispenser area is white. We plan to use off-white cabinets and it wouldn't look right to have these two shades of white next to each other. The trim does come off and you can order black or stainless. However, that adds about $1,000 more. And, that's not the look we're after. The store is asking $3500 for the frig. I was wondering, has anyone ever removed the trim and just put on the wood panels and handles? That's the look we want.I was wondering if that was even possible. Are all panel ready refrigerators the same underneath the trim? Perhaps it's not worth it, but we love the refrigerator and a new one is about $6,000.

Comments (7)

• User
    14 years ago

There's "panel ready" and "built in" and "integrated". Sounds like you want built in or integrated. YOu need to do more research to ultimately decide if the saved $$ is worth it to you, or you want a more seamless look for more $$. Most folks in the paneled fridge category want the most invisible fridge they can get. Otherwise they'd just get a regular refrigerator and panel in the sides and call it a day. Especially for the cost savings involved. What is your goal by having your fridge paneled?

• 59 Dodge
    14 years ago

"Most folks in the paneled fridge category want the most invisible fridge they can get. Otherwise they'd just get a regular refrigerator and panel in the sides and call it a day." You may be correct about "most Folks", L W O, but not all. We did not want to hide our Fridge, but we wanted it built in, for 2 reasons,When panelled , it matches the rest of the cabinetry in our kitchen, and secondly, I was tired of cleaning The stainless steel or painted finish on the Fridge. Oh 3rd reason is , stuff doesn't get buried and hidden in the back of the Fridge, We have a 48" Side by side and luve it!! We can keep the stuff we used most at a convenient Height level for us, both in the Fridge and the freezer, and only stoop for that stuff we rarely use.
    Even when you look at "Fully Integrated Fridges", installed, they usually have handles and it's doesn't take a "Rocket Scientist" to figger out what might be behind those handles?¿

Gary

• chowgirl
    14 years ago

We have a GE panel ready fridge from a scratch and dent place that we paneled with our off white cabinet panels (white w/ chocolate glaze), and the side trim pieces for the fridge doors/freezer drawer and handles (couldn't swap out handles on this particular model) are a true white. I thought it would look funny or off, but it doesn't at all, and I am extremely critical when it comes to that stuff.

I agree with an earlier poster that you need to decide why you want a paneled fridge and if it must appear to blend in seamlessly with the cabinetry. If you do, then savings aside, you won't be happy with a fridge that doesn't allow for complete integration.

• domengineer
    14 years ago

Matching stove to refrig pics above.
    {{gwi:1382590}}From 2010-01-24

• domengineer
    14 years ago

Matching stove to refrig pics above.
    {{gwi:1382590}}From 2010-01-24

• athensmomof3
    14 years ago

I agree with the above - sounds to me like you want fully integrated, not panel ready. I have learned they are different (not just for fridges but for dishwashers and others!)

I think the most realistic fully integrated fridge is the Sub Zero 700 with the drawers as it breaks up the tall line of the side by side look . . . not the cheapest route though!

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!