Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Faucets, etc. What do I need for an entire bath?

dedtired
15 years ago

Okay, I think I found a contractor I like and his price is reasonable. His estimate (and all the others) say the homeowner (that would be me) is to purchase the faucets (as well as a lot of other stuff, but I'll get to that later).

Dumb question, but what does that include? Here's what I am getting:

A new stall shower. I definitely want a hand-held thingy. I am thinking that I also need a separate shower head. I need the knobs or a handle to turn on the water and adjust the temperature. What else for the shower?

An air tub. I need to buy the faucets and the drain cover, I think? Anything else?

The sink/vanity. I need to get the faucets and a drain cover and something to open and close the drain.

A toilet -- does it need a handle or do they come with them?

My budget is tight and I need to know in advance what I must buy in terms of faucets. I'm sure you can go hog-wild buying all sorts of gadgets, but I am pretty much looking for the basics. If there's any money left, I might get extra body sprays but I doubt it.

So, can anyone make a shopping list for me? Thanks.

Pam

Comments (8)

• charlikin
    15 years ago

Wow - I remember when I was getting started researching what I needed to buy for my bathroom and being completely confused and overwhelmed! But by the end, I showed up at the plumbing supply store with a list that was surprisingly complete. :-)

My situation was slightly different from yours in that I have a combined shower/tub. But I do have two showerheads - a fixed (not rain head) and a handheld on a slidebar. The shower controls can get complicated - you need to control temperature, volume of water, and which showerhead the water comes out of. Depending on the brand, these might be separate controls or one integrated control. I went with Hansgrohe which gave me a single integrated control - fewer knobs on the wall, and I think lower plumbing costs. This is what my list looked like:

Toilet (includes flush lever, but might not include seat!)
    Tub
    Wall-mount sink (for me - for you, you'll need a vanity, a sink, and possibly a countertop for the vanity if it doesn't include one)
    P-trap (the pipe under the sink - mine was exposed so I bought a pretty one - if yours is hidden inside the vanity, your contractor will probably supply it, but check)
    Sink faucet (usually includes drain & thingy to operate drain)
    Thermostatic valve rough-in (this is the part that goes in the wall - I got a thermostatic one which lets me set the water temperature once and then always keeps the water at that temperature - it's my favorite part of the new bathroom!)
    Thermostatic valve trim (this is the pretty control that you see - it has to match the rough-in)
    Fixed showerhead
    Shower arm (for fixed showerhead)
    Hand shower
    Slide bar
    Hose for hand shower (might be included with slide bar)
    Wall union (this connects the hose to the wall)
    Tub spout
    Tub drain

Since you have a separate tub and shower, your list will be a little different (for example, you'll also need temperature and volume control for the tub), but I hope this helps get you started.

• homepro01
    15 years ago

Some items I can assist with:
    1. Toilet
    It depends. Pick a toilet you like and then verify what it comes with. I have Totos and they came with handles but some don't come with the toilet seat.
    2. You need a faucet with the valves, a pop up drain if you want one on the faucet or a manual pop up drain installed under the sink.
    3. Are you getting a medicine cabinet?
    4. Toilet paper holder, don't forget one and where to install it.
    5. The Airtub needs a deck mounted faucet and a drain assembly. The Faucet should also have the valves built in. Are you getting a handheld shower with the airtub assembly? Which airtub are you buying? It may have a drain cover as an option.
    6. What style of faucet are you looking for? This will determine some of the answers to your questions.
    7 What is your budget? I would start with a website like homeclick.com and look at all the options.
    8. Do you want a thermostatic controlled valve in the shower or just a pressure balanced valve? Many of the valves allow you to control multiple things like a shower head, a hand held shower and body sprays.
    Good luck!

• faucetman886
    15 years ago

Although they are not plumbing related, bathroom related ancillary needs that you should include in your budget are towel bars, toilet paper roll holder, a shower rod if youre using a shower curtain, if not you have to buy the shower doors, soap holders and tooth brush holders if your choose to use them, mirror(s), a medicine cabinet or vanity that has drawers and shelves.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is so incredibly helpful, despite having just doubled my "homeowner will purchase" budget. Better to know in advance and not be caught short.

I think the bathroom has more gadgetry than the kitchen. Even though I had to buy all appliances, the remainder were the kitchen faucet, a couple light fixtures and knobs.

I am in the "you might as well" mode at the moment. Even though I will be going over budget, I might as well have certain things done while the contractor will be here and I might as well do it right the first time instead of regretting it later.

Thank you so much. I will print this out and discuss with the contractor. See you later with many more Q's.

• sporthill
    15 years ago

Thanks, dedtired, for directing me to this thread and thanks, everyone, for the great lists.
    I have found really good prices at Plumbtile.com, and it gets good recommendations elsewhere on GardenWeb.
    We really like the Broan combination recessed fan/light we put in our other bathrooms. Quiet and effective. Broan 744.
    Don't forget lights over the vanity.

• Anna Vegia
    15 years ago

dedtired - I am wrapping up the first bathroom reno of 2, and I can totally understand what you mean about the "you might as well mode". I originally started out just planning a very basic reno (it's 2 kids baths), but ended up with gorgeous tile, one-piece Toto toilets, custom maple cabinets and radiantly-heated Thassos marble floors. I'm so happy I decided to make them more unique. With careful internet shopping, I don't think my bathrooms ended up costing that much more than if I let the contractors supply the basic, generic materials as I had originally planned. Now, my husband did reign me in somewhat, and forbade the Jacuzzi tub for my daughters' bath, and the skylight in my son's. I'll let him explain that to them when they're older.

• frodo_2009
    15 years ago

hold on a little bitty minute. what does you contract say that you have to provide ? is it just the valves ?
    i see people giving you a list of every thing. if money is tight, then tell me what your supposed to provide
    we will make a list. but all that other stuff can add up to big bucks quick !

• dedtired
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I haven't gotten back to this thread for a few days. Like most of you with jobs, I returned from the holidays to a mountain of work.

Anyway, one of my contractor's agreements says "includes all material except tile, fixtures, shower door, etc." -- so that pretty much leaves it open. Needless to say, before I sign anything all this will be detailed in the agreement.

The second contractor says "Price does not include tub, toilet, sink, base cabinet or faucets." I'm surprised that he does not list the shower door.

I want to be pro-active and show him (whichever one I choose) a list of I what I think I should be paying for, so that's why your list is so helpful. I need to know what I need before I can make a list.

I've also decided to skip the air tub. I saw one demonstrated in a show room (a Bain Ultra) and the thing was very noisy. It would shake my little house off the foundation. I really don't take baths very often and would rather spend the money on extra body showerheads (or whatever they're called) in the shower.

So any help with what is USUAL for the contractor to pay for and what is fair for the homeowner, would help me. You've already given me a great start.

Oh -- I think I'll add heated floors, too. My current bathroom is so small I can cover most of the floor with a bath mat. The other morning I stepped on the tile floor and it was icy!

Thanks again.