Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nychelen

Berta Combo Cooktop with Induction and Gas

NYChelen
13 years ago

Does anyone know anything about the new Berta Professional Series PM363I0X which sells at AJMadison for $2196 so it must exist. It's a 36" Segmented Drop-in Cooktop with 2 Induction Burners, 3 Sealed Gas Burners and 18,000 BTU Brass Power Burner. Sounds like the perfect solution if you want a combo but don't have 45" of counter space. Much cheaper than Miele & Wolf Combo and 1 piece but there are no pictures or specs. Have any of you heard anything about this.

Comments (16)

• NYChelen
    Original Author
    13 years ago

A picture is now available at AJMAdison. It has a 18,000 burner on the left, 2 burners in the middle 1200 and 6600 and 2 induction spots on the right. Other configurations are available such as gridles, etc.

• gerrygr
    12 years ago

We're also interested in this unit. Does anyone know who makes Bertazzoni's induction elements? Their induction cooktops don't look like any one else's (with the faux grates on the ceramic glass top).

I tried to find any info, but it's sparse even on Berta's website. The only place the units' specs appear are on its Canadian site.

• elaineycabaney
    12 years ago

Guess I better order my Berta since I didn't know it was while supplies last! Thanks for the info!

• gerrygr
    12 years ago

Just ordered the unit at AJM. Apparently they're on back order as Berta hasn't started shipping these yet. Now, I'm a bit concerned about the delay of something that was supposed to hit the market in March ...

• rmsaustin
    12 years ago

Gerrygr, Did AJM indicate when you might expect shipment? I'm interested in this cooktop but want to know if I should start thinking about a "plan B". Thanks.

• gerrygr
    12 years ago

AJM expects to start shipping these in 4 weeks and are confident that the timeline is good. I guess it's a waiting game now and explains why I couldn't find any reviews of this unit anywhere.

• rmsaustin
    12 years ago

Thanks for the update -- would you post again if you find the timeline isn't good? Also, after install I'd love to hear your review of the unit.

• gerrygr
    12 years ago

It took a while for the cabinets & countertops to arrive...

So yes, the Berta is finally in, but not hooked up yet. It looks stunning, except for a minor quirk. The induction knobs are not as tight as the gas knobs, and they have a side to side play to them, kind of like a joystick. I called Bertazzoni CSR and they said that it's part of the design. Feels weird to have that much play in it. I ordered it online, so never had a chance to spec out a demo unit in a store. Perhaps that's the next step to see if this is right.

Hopefully will have everything hooked up by next week to see how it actually works.

• littletbt
    12 years ago

Gerrygr please let us know how you like the combo cooktop. I am building a passive/LEED home, but am having trouble committing to induction only. I love to use a wok and for some reason I can't picture it on the induction....

I'd love to see a picture too if that's not an imposition.

Congratulations!

• gerrygr
    12 years ago

Sorry for the delays everyone. It's taking us a while to settle into the kitchen. Pics & full review coming soon.

So far so good. Induction works well, although it clicks when we put on an oversize pot. Instructions say you can exceed the hob size, so I'm not sure why the sound is there on the larger pots.

The gas side is ok and powerful. Not crazy about the grates, coming from a beefy Viking, where sliding pots from burner to burner was a breeze. These grates also sit a lot closer to the flame, so they give a different look when the fire is on.

Overall a nice unit & we're happy, but still figuring out the quirks.

• gerrygr
    12 years ago

Ok, now that we've had some time with it, I can add a bit more color. Still haven't cooked a major feast, but we've put the cooktop through the trials.

The early impressions still stand. I like the fact that you can use larger pots than the induction hob. The power of both gas & electric is impressive.

Think of the Berta as a classic Italian car. It has beautiful lines and lots of power. It will turn heads in your kitchen. The double gas burner is ideal for wok cooking if you need it, and the wok attachment is a nice bonus. The small single burner on the double ring is perfect for simmering.

But, it is temperamental and needs TLC. The induction knobs wobble for no apparent reason. The gas burners have a thermocouple that is finicky and it takes a while to get the hang of lighting the burners. If you expect to turn the knob and have the gas lite up immediately, you'll be disappointed. It takes a bit getting used to.

The grates are too flimsy for a high end unit and the stainless steel scratches too easily during cleaning.

But overall, we are happy with it, because there aren't other gas/induction units out there.

Here is a link that might be useful: Cooktop

• blf2011
    12 years ago

Gerrygr,

Thanks for the report, look forward to hearing any other thoughts regarding it. My Berta combo top (same configuarations as yours) is arriving tomorrow and hopefully will be installed in the next 3 weeks or so. Interesting to see your backsplash as well, we are using the same tile as an accent.

• Julie Alicandro
    8 years ago

I am interested in the Berta combo gas induction cook top. Wonder if there are any recent reviews, 2015. Has it changed at all since 2012?

• cvmingoia83
    8 years ago

bump

• rmsaustin
    8 years ago

Not sure if this unit is still made, but...I have this unit (two years)-- bought it because I couldn't commit to an all induction unit -- was afraid I'd miss my gas too much. This seemed like a happy medium. In addition, I liked the clearance requirements, as I was able to put a drawer directly under the cooktop While it's a nice looking unit and performs fine for my needs, if I were doing it again, I would go with an all induction unit. I love the induction so much (both the cooking and clean up experience), and because of the layout, the induction hobs are fairly small, so it's hard to use more than one at a time unless you are using small (6-7") pots or pans. If you use something larger, the other hob is pretty useless. If you are wavering between gas and induction, just go for the induction.