Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eliza66

Kitchen layout and wall ovens

eliza66
last month

I've currently decided on a 36" induction cooktop, 30" (XXL) Miele Steam oven, and one of the Advantium speed/combo ovens. Current layout (attached) has the steam oven below the induction cooktop, and the advantium in the island. I'm worried about 2 things with this layout: 1) too many cooking things right on top of each other, and 2) bending down for the 2 ovens that are in lower cabinets. I've considered stacking the 2 ovens in the wall to the right of the sink, but that takes countertop space on either side of the sink to minimums. The other option would be in the wall to the left of the cooktop where you currently see a tall cabinet, but that would take some space from the bar/cocktail area on the far left.

What do you think? Would the 2 ovens in lower cabinets, on either side of the aisle between the cooktop and island bother you? If so, what trade-offs would you make to reposition them?

Comments (10)

• Buehl
    last month
    last modified: last month

It depends - how tall are you and your family? If you're a very short family, it may be OK. However, if you or anyone is average or taller, I think it would be an issue.

We toyed with the idea of an under counter oven when we remodeled, but when we saw one installed and saw how close the oven was to the floor, we realized that would NOT be OK with us, so we immediately nixed the idea and went with an oven stack instead. We are a fairly tall family with me, at 5'10", the shortest. (OK, I'm now 5'9", but I used to be 5'10"!)

Keep i mind that a standard size wall oven installed under the counter will be closet to the floor than an oven in a range. A short oven, might be OK in a pinch, but still not something I would want.

Not all ovens can be installed under a cooktop and not all cooktops can have an oven installed beneath them -- be sure your choices can be installed this way. I know that when I switched to an induction cooktop from a radiant one, I had to eliminate the top drawer b/c of the air space required for the cooling fan to work correctly.

Another consideration is how long you plan to stay in your home. If you plan to age in place, I would definitely say no to an under counter oven.

Resale? Do you plan to sell within the next 5 to 7 years? If so, it might be a deal-breaker for some. In my case, it would be -- or I'd look at the Kitchen as a "gut" and my offer price would reflect that. However, many, if not most, people probably wouldn't understand what they're getting themselves into until it was too late so it might not be an issue. (Most people buy on "looks", not function b/c they really don't understand function or realize how important it really is -- I've seen this with friends and even some in my own family.)

The same applies to an under counter standard MW. If a MW is to be under the counter, make it a MW drawer so you're not squatting or leaning very far down to operate, put food in, and take it out (or blindly reaching into a hot MW).

I will say that I see some issues with the layout you posted...are you wiling to look at alternate layouts (it's that "pesky" function I mentioned above!)

Will you have a prep sink in the island? If not, your layout is not very good for food prep/cooking. Prep and Cooking Zones work best when either right next to each other or when directly across form each other in an aisle no more than 48" to 54".

They should not be separated by tall items (e.g., Pantry or cabinet), doors/doorways, etc.

If you're interested in help with the layout let us know. The Featured Answer in the "New to Kitchens? Read Me First!" thread describes what's needed for layout help.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5972404/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first-2020-interim

• HU-910663146
    last month

Do you really need two ovens? Do you really need a bar/cocktail area--particularly as it is currently configured? These are just questions to ask yourself, and those questions might help you resolve your issue.

I'd be willing to jettison some of the bar and move the pantry down to help. I am not you, of course.

• wdccruise
    last month

Cafe CHS950P2MS1 double-oven induction range

Panasonic NN-SN96JS countertop microwave

• rebasheba
    last month

I would trade the open shelf/wine rack situation for stacked ovens, easily. For me I would prioritize cooking function over the cocktail area and find a different place and furniture for the bar stuff. But maybe for you this entertainment aspect of having the bar stuff to hand would win.

• eliza66
    Original Author
    last month

Thanks for the input. I’m now thinking about making that bar area smaller and taking some of that space to enable room for wall ovens. I think the drawers on each side of the cooktop would have to get a bit smaller as well. They are currently 30” wide.

• gardengrl66 z5
    last month

Well now you are well into the domino-falling rabbit hole that is kitchen layout :) Because 30-inch drawers are very nice to have and if you get smaller, the pots etc don't fit as well!

I don't have the back for under-counter ovens any more. And maybe I am boring but devoting all that space to a bar would not be my thing...much better to do a cooking stack. You will be able to put a couple of nice drawers under your cooktop that way!

Is your dishwasher in the island (with the microwave, second photo) or next to the sink (first photo)? They're both labeled "DW" but I'm thinking it's next to the sink. I agree with previous posters that it seems a long way, and across a couple of aisles, to get food from your sink to the stove so consideration of a prep sink should play into all this.

• dan1888
    last month

I see room in the area within the left segment of yje range run. I'd delete the pantry full height cab anyway for counter and add the oven stack next.

• lharpie
    last month

Is that a corner pantry? not sure if layout is up for negotiation but having the fridge and pantry in way of prime prep space would be irritating.

i don’t mind undercounter ovens (we have one and 70+ year old relatives use it with no issue), but if i had your space i’d do an oven stack instead of bar area or full pantry cab. i can mix drinks on an island just fine. ;) i also really like having pans directly under my cooktop - so convenient!

• Rick
    4 hours ago

Sink is too far from the cooktop. I'd put the sink in the island and go with stacked wall ovens.

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/how-to-plan-your-kitchen-appliance-project

• H202
    3 hours ago

I would to absolutely nuts woth the fridge taking up thay prime space between the sink and cooktop. And far, far more importantly, why do you have a tiny little narrow pantry cabinet chopping that beautiful long counter run right in half?? Fix those and from there I think I would find some easy space to put one of your ovens in a tall cabinet.