Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
julieschrader

Tray ceiling - input sought

Jules
10 years ago

We're currently building a home and will have a tray ceiling in our 14.5x17 master bedroom. I'm meeting with our contractor tomorrow to discuss specific measurements of the tray as it will be raftered according to my preferences.

What is your guesstimate of the height of the angled part of the ceiling in the photo below? Maybe 3-4 feet? What is your guesstimate of the pitch?

The standard wall height in our interior is 9', but we have a variety of specialty ceilings throughout -- vaulted, tray, coffered, dormers.

I want to get the angle correct to achieve this kind of look in the master, including starting the tray at an angle as shown here.

Thanks.

Comments (6)

• Jules
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here's another tray I like, but it is taller.

Height and pitch guesstimates on this one?

• rrah
    10 years ago

Based upon the beds, the windows, standard drapery lengths, etc. my best guess for both rooms would be 8 to 8.5 feet as the starting height.

I don't think the second picture is actually taller. I think it is the camera angle, paint, etc.

If I had to guess on the angle, I would guess it's close to 45 degrees, but that is purely a guess.

• mlweaving_Marji
    10 years ago

Like rrah, I would guess that the angle starts somewhere between 8 1/2 or 9', and probably goes up to an 11 or 12 ft ceiling. Looking at my rate of heel indicator here on the boat, and looking at those pics, I'd guess a 40 degree angle on the slope. Do you have that much height in the center to work with?

• Jules
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, we have quite a bit of height to work with in the master bedroom.

Thank you, both.

• User
    10 years ago

They both begin at around 7' from the floor, and might even be 6'6". The scale of the objects chosen and the angle is visually deceiving (which is by design). Look at the night stand with the 3 6" high drawers and around 4" of toekick, , then compare it to the wall height. Then look at the height of the night stands and sofa in the second picture.

The height difference is of the tray is no more than 3 feet, and protruding outward at the same 3', with the center section being probably 10', which would make the panels around 4'3" from one edge to the other.

• Jules
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks, all.

I asked my contractor to build the tray at a 45 degree angle and 3' in total height. So like hollysprings said, the total dimension of the slope will be just shy of 4'3".

I'm really excited to see how this turns out. Appreciate your help!