Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lynninnewmexico

My Winter Morning Breakfast Table, New Mexico Style!

lynninnewmexico
14 years ago

We make a big family breakfast every weekend morning, although I hardly ever think to take pictures of my tables . . . let alone my foods! But while DH was taking the dogs for a walk before breakfast yesterday morning, I took some pics of the table. It snowed here almost every day last week, and I was going for a cozy Winter Breakfast in the Mountains, New Mexico Style . . . which was easy, as I just shopped my house!

Menu:

Huevos Rancheros (WAY-vose Ron-CHAIR-ohs)

with my homemade Red Chile Sauce

Corn Tortillas

Fresh Fruit Compote

Vanilla Yogurt

Orange Juice

Coffee

{{gwi:1404124}}

These are some plates I don't think you've seen before. I found them at Target several years ago and use them a lot throughout the Winter here. As many of you already know, I love pinecones! The green bowls for the fruit compote are from my Onieda's Green Solare dinnerware set. Gold footed glass yogurt bowls and glasses for the juice are GW finds. My pretty pinecone napkin rings were gifts from Jane (Slinkey) back in Autumn. Love them, Jane! I found the seed placemats at Hobby Lobby back in October.

{{gwi:1404125}}

As I've mentioned before, DH & I don't care for centerpieces in the middle of our eating area . . . for our tables, NOT anyone else's. I don't want anyone here to think that I'm secretly disliking your tablescapes. I love them very much! But, for some reason, I never like them on my tables :~( Go figure!

Anyhoo, for my centerpiece, I used a small batik painting by the very well known NM artist, Alice Valdez. It's of a pueblo at night during a Winter snow. Forgive me, but I LOVE using art ~ and/or books~ in my centepieces. I also have a Storyteller statue, made by an artist from Jemez Pueble (pronounced HAY-mez), a giant pinecone I picked up at the cabin we vacationed at one year on Lake Tahoe (they don't grow quite that large around here!) my pewter candleholders in the shape of antlers (from an art gallery in Santa Fe) and a few pine cones.

{{gwi:1404126}}

{{gwi:1404127}}

Elsewhere on the table is my tortilla warmer (in my first pic, above, part of our Raindance dinnerware collection) and pottery pieces for OJ, red chile sauce, fruit compote, etc. from various NM artists. I have a lot of pieces like that I've colleced over the years and I use most of it evey day. The leaf cups are from Japan, though.

{{gwi:1404128}}

{{gwi:1404129}}

And (ta-daaaaa!) our main dish, Huevos Rancheros. This is a very much loved breakfast out here, although everyone has a slightly different way of making them. This is my way. I took these pics in my kitchen as DH & I were plating them. You take 2 warmed corn tortillas and spoon on a bit of red chile sauce (some people prefer salsa). I sprinkle some chopped Vidalia onions over the sauce and them slide on two sauteed eggs. I'm not done yet, but here's it so far:

{{gwi:1404130}}

Over the eggs, I spoon more red chile sauce and sprinkle with shredded Monteray Jack cheese and top with a dollop of sour cream (not shown in this pic). I like to serve sides of black beans and baby arugula & tomatoes. Some people prefer refritos (refried beans) with shredded iceburg lettuce with tomatoes, but we like our breakfasts a bit healthier ;^D

I always have more corn tortillas and red chile sauce on the table, too. We New Mexicans love to dip our fresh warm tortillas into red chile (we actually never call it red chile "sauce" unless we're talking about it to non-NM's)

{{gwi:1404131}}

This is comfort food, New Mexico style!

Lynn

Comments (23)

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

. . . that black thing up there next to my Storyteller is a small pot from a Santa Ana Pueblo artist, which is famous for their black pottery. I wish you could see the design on it.
    Lynn

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Oh my goodness that dish looks so yummie, DH would love it, maybe I'll give it a try. You certainly don't need to apologize for the art, I love seeing it, it's always different and interesting. Those pinecone dishes are wonderful as well as the rest of your pieces. Of course I share the "do your own thing" attitude (even though my thing is certainly not most peoples). This forum has certainly expanded my ideas, just one of the reasons I love it.
    Syble

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Lynn...Fair Warning!
    I'm Warming Up - 'The Holiday Bus'... and will be
    picking up ANY Holiday Members along the way to your home,
    for breakfast next Sunday!!
    Girl..that is one 'Stick To Your Ribs' breakfast (as my mother would say). The food and the warm and inviting setting is just lovely.
    I must say, I love those pinecone plates and all your other pieces blend so well with it....even your napkin rings..lol
    Many times I set our centerpiece off side, for the same reasons as you. We like to have something but not obstructing our view or interfering with the serving pieces. As far as using art...I'm right there with you in that Dept. DH having been an Art Director - still consulting...we are Huge Art Fans. I like how you set up yours with all your interesting pieces in vignette style.
    All very nice to look at.

I enjoyed seeing 'Breakfast New Mexico Style' !!
    Oh...
    I'll let you know how many we will be, for next Sunday!!
    lol

jane

• dining_delight
    14 years ago

I'd love to hop on the Holiday bus with Jane and head off to visit you for some of your New Mexico-style breakie! Looks delicious! And what a nice table to eat it at! You have some lovely pieces. I think the white pine cone plates are perfect for winter and I like them with the pine cones you have displayed on your table. Thanks for sharing!

DD

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I think ALL of us might be on that bus, Lynn! Wow. I'm not a fan of breakfast, but yours could sure change my mind.
    LOL. That's a meal for any time of day to me.
    The entire tablesetting is just gorgeous! You have so many truly beautiful, and interesting, things. This table is certainly at the top of the list. I also love how you tell the story to go with your things. Art especially should have a story (even if "Grandma painted it while roaring drunk one night"). I love to hear about things as well as see them.

Your home is always so wonderful to see, and I'm very glad you share it with us.
    hugs, Karen

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for your kind words! BTW, I misspoke when I said the little black pot was from Santa Ana Pueblo. It's not. I was thinking about a friend of mine from Santa Ana as I was writing that post and wrote her pueblo down instead of "Santa Clara". Santa Clara Pueblo is known worldwide for it's very unique black pottery. I'm sorry about all the typos up there, too.

Syble: it's good that we can appreciate instead of criticize other people's unique or different ways to do things, isn't it? That's one of the reasons this forum is so special. I hope you get the chance to make your DH
    the Huevos. The secret is to have everything ready to add, once the eggs are done, and to use warmed plates. I chop, shred and/or warm everything and keep it in prep bowls on the counter until I'm ready to plate the dish. If your DH likes salsa, it would probably be easier to use that instead of making red chile up from scratch like I do. I usually garnish this dish with chopped, fresh cilantro or green onions, but I didn't have any on hand yesterday.

Jane: wouldn't it be fun if we really could send ourselves is a nanosecond, just like they do in Star Trek? You all could pop over to my house for breakfast and I could zip by to see your beautiful dining room in person, etc. So your DH was an art director? Be still my heart . . . what a wonderful profession that must be!

DD, thank you! I've been meaning to do a table with those dishes for the past year or so for you all. I use them at least three times a week in Winter and love the pinecone relief on the edges. I just wish that I'd been able to get more when they went on clearance after Christmas that year. All that were left were these 6 dinner plates. I'm glad I finally got around to taking a few pictures using them. As for popping over for breakfast, just hop on the Holidays Bus. You're welcome anytime!
    Lynn

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Karen! I didn't see your post before. And yes, by all means, hop on that bus, too!
    I feel the same way about hearing the story behind special pieces people use. It makes a table or a room even more special to me. I also love learning new things . . . which I do all the time here!
    Lynn

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Hope Jane's bus has a porta potty in it!...cause it's a long way from NW Iowa to NM! I'm comin', too!

OOOO's & Ahhhh's ... when I saw the centerpc art up close! "Storytellers" were my one of my fav new art pcs that I was introduced to when I took that trip back some yrs. ago to your lovely state! I have a "candle one" ...in my computer/craft room...and am saving for a real pc. of art when I visit again! (hopefully...SOON...on that bus!); LOL

Alice Valdez' pc is PERFECT in your setting! Love it! And from my moniker, you know, "pine cones" are a given! I love my pine trees...I'll attach a pic here from last wk. when my DH & I tromped thru the snow (cabin fever, ya know):

{{gwi:131030}}

And, I think it is so WONDERFUL that you "holiday-ers" set these beautiful tables for your meals! This one, lynn, is just GORGEOUS! TFS! Jeanne S.

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Ahhh, gee, Lynn...I got so carried away that I forgot half of what I wanted to say! I LOVE the plates! & your pottery pcs! The gold-colored glassware looks so pretty with your table! Food looks wonderful, too! Thanks! Jeanne S.

• party_music50
    14 years ago

Your table setting is beautiful, and your plated breakfast looks WONDERFUL!!! Wish I could try it!

jeannespines, that winter scene is gorgeous!

• milosmom_gw
    14 years ago

I peeked in on this earlier and didn't have time to post so had to come back.
    Beautiful!!!! setting. Love your pinecone plates and I'm oogling the stemware , napkin rings, the placemats and silverware to.
    and .. ahhh it's almost 10:30 at night and I'm starrrving seeing your lovely brekkie plate. lol

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

Lovely setting for a yummy breakfast! I really love your pinecone plates and those napkin rings from Jane go with them perfectly.

How neat that the placemats are seeds! I think the amber glassware really warms things up, as do your pottery pieces.

Not a thing wrong with not placing the centerpiece right in the middle--especially when your table is so large anyway. I like to do that when I'm setting our table for just the two of us as well.

Love that you helped with the pronunciation of the words--that was one of the funniest things for me when we moved out here from the Midwest! I still often have to remind myself that the J is pronounced as if it were an H.

I don't know a thing about "real" art, but must say, I really enjoy seeing all your pieces--they are very unique and perfect for the style of your home and area.

I sure hope Jane can head waaaay over here to pick me up on the bus too--I don't want to get left out! Just one special request--could you cook my eggs a tad longer? ;o) Yes, I'm one of those who likes the eggs pretty firm--well, actually I usually like them scrambled! ;o)

Luvs

• oldalgebra
    14 years ago

Lynne,

Superb! The dishes go so very well with your New Mexico style home. And the napkin rings look as though they were made to be part of the dishware set although I imagine you probably bought them separately.

It's nice to see that you support your local artists, but more than that, you really love their work. I must say, my tastes run to heavier pieces in general (I do like the occasional delicate China dishes and stemware.), so your serving pieces and those antler candle holders are right up my alley.

For the most part, I like a centerpiece, well, in the center (as long as it remains low enough to see over), but I've placed more than a few at the end of a table (and I HAVE to do it when I use my little pull-out table). Centerpieces that sit at one end eliminate two restrictions:
    1) No height limit. This doesn't bother some people, but it drives me nuts when I have to lean to one side or the other just to talk to someone while I'm eating.
    2) No need to make a 360-degree centerpiece, as it is only viewed from one side. That means you can display a book or small picture, just as you did in the one above.

It's fun to run into someone who supports your school of thought on things. I am drawn to your home, so when I see you do things that I've often done (e.g. using books as part of a tablescape), I think to myself, "Oh look, SHE does that too." The SHE is mentally pronounced in such a way as to mean: that woman whose taste I so admire.

Is the little pedestal upon which your Tahoe pinecone and Storyteller sit meant to be used as a pillar candle holder? Short fat pedestals always seem to hint of the Orient to me. There must be a reason for that, but can't think of why just now.

Adios,
    OA

• jaybird
    14 years ago

Oh my!! That is a beautiful breakfast! All of your pottery and dishes are lovely and the food looks scrumptious! Will the bus come south before it goes north????
    Thanks for posting and
    hugs from Texas,
    J

• luckygal
    14 years ago

I love all your dishes, Lynn! Different but they all "get along" so well. I especially like your handmade pottery. I collect unique pottery and you have some really nice pieces.

Your plated breakfast looks just scrumptious to me. I often have salsa with my poached egg, altho it's mild as I have never acquired the taste for extremely hot spice. Have to "make do" with biscuits or toast tho!

• kathleen_li
    14 years ago

That is a lovely breakfast setting, Lynn. Very wintery !
    Such pretty pieces...I would have to pass on the salsa..so just plain eggs for me...:) I am Irish, what can I say??

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I keep looking at all the photos, so much to see and admire in them!!
    Luvs, you and I aren't that far from NM really...maybe you could just drive the motorhome over here and pick me up. LOL. I also had to laugh at you wanting scrambled eggs..that is the ONLY kind of egg I will eat. (except deviled of course). Lynn, can this be made with scrambled eggs? LOL.

hugs, Karen

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

OK, lynn, if you're doing "orders"...I don't really like eggs ...except "deviled"...so please keep that in the menu before the bus arrives! LOL!

As OA above, I think of you as a "SHE" friend..."that woman whose taste I so admire."

TFS! Jeanne S.

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Lynn,

So sorry I missed your post till now. You are so great at setting tables and decorting. Now you add food that is so inviting. I love your pinecone dishes and napkins rings. I've always like pinecones and have always wanted some of those extra large ones.haha Your other pottery and the leaf cups are pretty neat.

Jane, don't forget to stop for me. I want to go to Lynn's too. Should we all do some shopping after breakfast while we're together???

Jeanne, love your picture, it looks like it was taken here right now. We had a peak of spring and then Mr Winter blew back in.

Punk

• glazinglor
    14 years ago

Lynn,

Wonderful table and yummy looking food! I love the type of breakfast you described, but we do usually have the refried beans. We've found fat free refried beans and love them. I like to mix them with spicy salsa and shredded cheese as a dip for parties. Delish!

I also need to tell you that I covet those fab pinecone plates. They are beautiful.

glor

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Sorry I haven't responded here in a couple of days. I know you all understand, though.

Jeanne, your photo is gorgeous! What a lovely walk that must have been. Oh, and I'll have deviled egg appetizers waiting for you when you get here. I love them, too! I have one of those storyteller candles! I bought it years ago when we were in Taos. That's where they make them. I've never lit it, though, and don't ever plan to. Here she is:

PartyMusic: thanks! You're more than welcome to jump on the Holiday Bus and come along for breakfast, too.

MM: too funny! I get the same way when I see pics of Huevos Rancheros. Most restaurants out here serve it all day, because so many of us love them anytime. Last night when we went out to dinner, I almost had them again but chose Chile Rellenos instead. Mmmmm!

Luvs: You are always welcome here! And, scrambled eggs are wonderful with salsa or red chile on them. I always have some on the table when I make scrambled eggs. I hear you regarding Spanish pronunciations! I took 7 years of it as a kid in Michigan. Never got to use it much, because you hear more French there. But, once I moved to NM, a lot of it came back to me. The "LL" sounding like a "Y" throws most people off and so does the "J" sounding like "H" do, too. Funny! As for my seed placemats, I'm really liking them. At first, I was going to take them back as I was worried that they'd be very hard to keep clean, but they're not that bad. I just have to be careful about what I serve when I use them. Drips down between those seeds would not be a good thing!

Kathleen, I'm Scot and I love them. I think it becomes an addiction when you move here ;^D When DS was in college, I had to send him chile on a regular basis. The main requests our NM service men & women have from home are canned green chiles and salsa! I can't imagine getting on without it now. OK, I'm making myself hungry!

Karen: they sure can be made with scrambled eggs! Do you ever make Breakfast Burritos? You roll a flour tortilla around warm scrambled eggs, crumbled bacon, sausage or ham, add some hash browns, beans if you like, shredded cheese and then salsa or red chile sauce. That's got to be New Mexico's other favorite breakfast! Even the McD's out here serve them.

Punk: I'd love to have you come for breakfast! I love the pinecone napkin rings that Jane sent me, too. They look great with three of my dish sets: these pinecone ones, the ones with actual pinecones painted on them and my green Solare dishes. They get used a lot!

Glor: Yes, that dip is very popular out here. We usually add diced jalapenos or green chiles to ours. I've had it used as a stuffing for enchiladas and burritos, too. Have you ever had Green Chile Roll-Ups? They're a pinwheel-type appetizer and very popular out here.

Luckygal: I don't care for very hot food either. But, what I now consider mild, I find that my Michigan family thinks is medium-to-hot. I guess I've just gotten used to it over the years.

OA: thank you :~ ) Yes, that brown pedestal is from HL and was meant to hold a candle, I think. I keep looking for a more rustic one to use on a table like this, but haven't found it yet. I'd love to hear any ideas you might have for a substitute. That pedestal is probably the main thing I don't like about this vignette. The pottery comes mainly from two NM potters, one is my neighbor. I love his work and, as I've mentioned, use it every day. I feel the same way you do about centerpieces! I have several 5x7 frames with easel backs I keep just for adding an interesting card to for a centerpiece. There are so many possibilities out there these days and the frames are so quick and easy to change out.

Well, now I'm REALLY hungry for something with chiles! I think I'll go make myself a grilled cheese with green chile sandwich for lunch.
    Lynn

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

lynn...That's the SAME candle storyteller that I have ...never have lit it either! Used to have it sitting on my desk in the Youth Dept. at the library! (a friend found it for me in NM) TOO FUNNY how we all get to know each other! TFS! Jeanne S.,

• lynninnewmexico
    Original Author
    14 years ago

OMG Jeanne, what a funny coincidence! Let me tell you about the place it came from. DH & I were in Taos one Autumn a number of years ago with some friends. The guys were golfing and we girls headed out to shop Taos and have lunch. One gal knew about this candle making business a couple of girlfriends had started up. It was in a small warehouse building, at the time, in Taos proper. They usually only sold wholesale to shops in Taos and Santa Fe, but when we eight smiling women knocked at their door with cash in hand, they allowed us to come in and shop for a few things each. I believe that I payed around $9 for my Storyteller candle. AT the time, they were selling in shops for about $30. The artistry on them is amazing, isn't it? We're hoping to head back this Autumn, which is a drop-dead gorgeous time to visit there! We like to go in September, when they have their art show in the Plaza and their Wool Festival in Kit Carson Park on the same weekend. We used to ski Taos a lot, but I came to dislike their narrow runs. We may take a trip up there this Winter, though, so that DH and DD can ski.

Sponsored
More Discussions