Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ahanna2010

I need help designing my bathroom!

ahanna2010
14 years ago

We are adding master bath to our master bedroom to increase the value of our home, ie make it into a master suite.

We have a basic rectangular layout that opens to a closet on the far end of the bathroom. The original plan involved removing a wall in the center of the home to give the bathroom an addition 4 feet in length but it turns out it is a significant load bearing wall and some work has already been done to increase the bathrooms ceiling height which also supports the roof. So not much more can be done with increasing the length of it.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated! I will include a photo of the layout and the SmartDraw file.

[URL=http://img59.imageshack.us/i/blankmasterbath.jpg/][IMG]http://img59.imageshack.us/img59/2523/blankmasterbath.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

The second door is the door to the master closet.

Edit: I couldn't find a way to submit the SmartDraw file. Any ideas?

Comments (27)

• ahanna2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Well that didn't work but the link is

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1402474}}

• kitchenkrazed09
    14 years ago

Is the 7' x 12' room the bedroom and the L-shaped room at the bottom the bathroom? Is this an existing bathroom or an entirely new bathroom? (If existing, what is the current floor plan?) Are you planning to have a tub or just a shower?

• terezosa / terriks
    14 years ago

Here's your picture

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I'm also not understanding the drawing. Which is the space you're proposing to use as a bathroom? Is it the 7x12 room... with the closet being the smaller room at the lower right?

Have you already ascertained that supply and drain/vent plumbing can be run to this space without problems?

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Also, if the door at the top of the drawing leads to the master bathroom, what does that window next to it look out on? (That is a window, yes?) And, how high is the window off the floor?

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

What's that space used as now?

Can you post a plan showing the surrounding rooms?

• ahanna2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes there is a window on the left of the door.

We would like to make the L shaped room the closet.

The current vent runs in a 2x8 wall behind the old bathroom and its that black leaded in piping (part of the reason we didn't want to move it besides the fact the wall is load bearing). The floor has a crawl space.

We would like to have a tub and a separate shower and a vanity with 2 sinks.

The window looks outside onto the patio area. I was thinking about putting the bathtub right in front of the window and then putting a nice tree outside the window.

We have not checked with an engineer yet on moving the load bearing wall.

Also, the plumbing will work. We have access to the crawl space with a drain that serves the old bathroom and we also have pipes running through the attic. All walls are bare at this point. No sheetrock at all.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

That makes MUCH more sense, and opens up a lot more possibilities... I have some ideas but am in the middle of making dinner for my family. I'll post some sketches in the AM...

• ahanna2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Stacey!

Any help would be appreciated!

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I'm working on some ideas...

Three questions:

1) Is the wall between the (new) bathroom and the den structural?

2) How much master closet space do you need. If the new bath space WAS your master closet, you're seriously downsizing in this plan.

Which brings me to
    3) How much do you use the den, what for, and how big does it need to be?

It looks like in your plan you're already cutting a chunk off the corner of the existing den to make your new master closet (as well as using the den's current closet) right?

I can see possibilities for a GREAT master bath and master closet area, but something's gotta give. What are your priorities between the den, master closet, and master bath. Which one gets short shrift?

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I'm working on some ideas...

Three questions:

1) Is the wall between the (new) bathroom and the den structural?

2) How much master closet space do you need. If the new bath space WAS your master closet, you're seriously downsizing in this plan.

Which brings me to
    3) How much do you use the den, what for, and how big does it need to be?

It looks like in your plan you're already cutting a chunk off the corner of the existing den to make your new master closet (as well as using the den's current closet) right?

I can see possibilities for a GREAT master bath and master closet area, but something's gotta give. What are your priorities between the den, master closet, and master bath. Which one gets short shrift?

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

something to consider...

if that existing bathroom space is really only 3'2", it's not going to give you any truly useable closet space as you have it drawn above turned into a "master closet". Hanging clothes are generally given 24" width, which means you'd have squeeze yourself along a wall in only 14" width to get in there to access them, if you had clothes hanging along the long wall in your proposed closet.

If you didn't have clothes rods along the long wall, just the two perpendicular walls, you'd only have like 9' linear feet. I think the sort of minimum linear footage recommended is 6 feet per person. Certainly more if you;re going for any sort of luxury.

I've been drawing lots of variations but I keep coming back to this: any way you look at it, something's gotta give: den, closet, or bathroom.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I truly don't think you can squeeze a separate tub, separate shower, toilet, and double vanity into the 12 x 7 room with two doors and a window as shown. We did it in 12.5 x 6.5 but we only had one door and it was in a more convenient location.

I can make it work by stealing a little more space out of the den, but even then the closet space you've drawn, as I noted in a previous post, is pretty un-useable.

I'll scan and post some of my ideas. They all take more space away from the den...

I'm also not really a big fan of walking though the bathroom to get to the master closet. However, I don't see a way around that without taking a significant amount of space away from the den :(

• ahanna2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the hard work Stacey!

The den size is pretty much the size we want it now but the wall between the new bathroom and the den is non structural so it could be moved. I was thinking maybe a foot, to make the room 12x8ft. I'm not sure yet.

I agree. The 3'4" room for the closet would be way too small for a big clothes rack to go against that long wall. Like you said 16 inches isn't much to squeeze in there and look at your clothes. I would be comfortable with even 24 inches.

The new bath space wasn't our old closet. We have a small closet in our bedroom already. We would like to redesign the inside of that one for the man's closet and the inside of the bathroom closet to be used by the woman.

The next idea for remodeling is to change the "den" into an office space and make it a comfortable size to add book shelves on 3 walls. I can't remember the measurements right now but its about 13 ft x 12 ft.

• kitchenkrazed09
    14 years ago

Would you be opposed to splitting the sinks instead of having them in one double vanity? What if (along the long 12' wall starting from right to left when facing the wall) you placed two 24" vanities separated by about 4", then a 5' tub, then you'd have about 32" width for the toilet (about the minimum you would want, 30" is usually the required minimum but check your local codes). You could cut the proposed closet down to a 4'9" x 5'8" walk-in and use the old bathroom area as the shower (assuming it is at least 4' wide). You would have to change the load-bearing wall, but should be able to do this with proper framing and a header. The plumbing for the old bathroom would have to be removed and capped, but it would make use of that space since as Staceyneil pointed out it probably wouldn't work as a closet. You would also have to find a tub where you didn't need a tub deck (maybe a freestanding tub). Kohler has a photo of two vanities next to each other on their site, though there is more space for their vanities, you can get the idea. I've (hopefully) attached the link below. You could also separate the vanities by the tub, so you'd have vanity, tub, vanity, toilet from right to left and then the shower where the old bathroom is and the rest for the closet. You could do a pocket door for the closet to maximize your space. Is the 12' wall an outside wall? If it is, you might want to come up through the floor with the plumbing, so there is less chance that the pipes will freeze in the winter, depending on your climate. If the plumbing is in the wall, make sure the pipes are well insulated. It's not ideal, but it's a way to use the existing space without taking away from the den.

Alternative option - if you did decide to take a foot of space away from the den, this would make the bathroom 8' x 12'. You would then have enough floor space where you could place a double vanity along the wall that is shared with the den. You would probably be able to fit about a 7-8' vanity there (leaving enough room for the in-swing of the door into the bathroom). Then from right to left (on the opposite long 12' wall) you could place a 5'- 5.5' tub in about a 6' tub deck, have a 3' x 4' shower and then have about 36" for the toilet. Better yet, if you also decided to move the plumbing for the old bathroom and deal with the load-bearing wall, you could make this a separate room for the toilet with a pocket door or just a doorway. This would open up more space along the 12' wall for a really luxurious tub and shower. You could have a 5.5' or 6' tub, a 4.5' or 5' shower (could be two-person) and even have enough room for a small linen closet, shelving or a tall cabinet. This last idea is my favorite. The future office would then be about 9' x 12', which is still a nice size.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kohler Double Vanities

• pooks1976
    14 years ago

If you can put a doorway somewhere in the load baring wall I would do the following:

-use the existing bathroom as a water closet (dim 34" x 5Â)
    -use the bottom right area as a shower (dim 5Â8"x 4Â1")
    -Tub and long vanity in the 12x7 space running along the 12Â wall

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Cori-
    I'd drawn what you propose... but there's no closet then :(

I'll scan my drawings this AM. Sorry for the delay. I was helping DD with a project till late last night and did not get a chance!

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

OK, here are the sketches I was working on yesterday.

Bear in mind that I thought that the closet was a 2-person master closet... so in a lot of these it could be reduced in size to give some space back to the den.

Also, I took more space from the den in some of them than you'd want, now that I've read your answer to that question :) But I'll post them all, anyway.

The dotted lines represent your existing walls (or at least the walls that you show in your plans.) So in some cases you can see the wall moved one foot over, or two feet plus in some cases.

here, without moving the den wall, this is the best I could do... and I don't like it.

{{gwi:1402477}}

These move the den wall over just a bit. The closet could be smaller, now that I know it's just for one person, to retain more den space.

{{gwi:1402478}}

{{gwi:1402479}}

This is similar to what the other poster mentioned, above...

{{gwi:1402480}}

These move the wall over more. Nice big bath and closet, but probably too much den to lose for your purposes? I don't know. My home office is about 9 x 10 and is plenty big for me :)

{{gwi:1402481}}

{{gwi:1402482}}

And this is probably a total throwaway. Takes a lot more den... but I was trying to get the closet out of the bathroom and back to where access was from the bedroom. Obviously it's a big 2-person closet which you don't need :)

{{gwi:1402483}}

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

You could maybe do what Cori suggests, which is I believe what my last drawing shows, minus the big closet.... and then run a shallow wide closey, with bifolds or sliders, all along the wall the the den and bath share. basically just make the closet in my last drawing be skinnier and open in the bathroom. You would lose two feet of your den. But you'd have a rockin/ master bath area. It would also be easier to build because you wouldn't be totally removing the wall between the den and bath, just adding doors to it. That's a whole lot of drywall and finish work that you wouldn't need to do (as opposed to actually removing that wall and moving it over a foot or whatever.)

Just remember when you're planning this out not to make doorway openings, walkways, and clearances in front of toilets, tubs, vanities too small.

In all these, if you put the shower or WC in the lower left nook (existing bathroom) you don't need to do anything super drastic to the bearing wall. In the shower, it can have a soffit at the front edge enclosing the header that spans just a few feet. Not a big deal. In this last plan, for instance, you could do the same thing with the header in the WC stall, and simply make the ceiling drop down over the toilet there, without it seeming too odd.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

I should really read through my posts before finalizing them. Sorry for the multiple posts. I forgot to say, in many of my drawings above, that those are pocket doors I have used in many places.

Our master bath/closet reno was also in a tight space and pocket doors saved the day :)

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

here, you'd need to steal 20" from the den along the shared wall. Recess the vanity and tuck a linen cabinet behind the door. You get a fabulous, open-feeling master bath, especially if you make that shower frameless glass on two sides, plus a private WC stall and a nice walk-in closet.

{{gwi:1402484}}

• pooks1976
    14 years ago

Stacey,

I like the last one. The WC works really well there and the plumbing for the toilet is already there. The closet looks nice for one person and the rest of the bath is spacious.

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Yeah, I think it works best in so many ways. Easier to build, plumb, and finish... and none of the fixtures or traffic paths are blocking others, as they are in almost all the other tries.

It will feel really light and open and luxurious in there with that layout, and work well.

The question is whether she's willing to lose the space from the den... personally I think it's totally worth it. The den will still be a nice sized office, and you'll have gained a REALLY nice master bath, rather than one that's squished and cramped...

• Stacey Collins
    14 years ago

Plus, the bearing wall doesn't have to be messed with as much. The headers would need a little beefing up but the spans are small. It's a doorway at the WC, and could again just be soffited in the closet. Who cares if half the closet ceiling is lower or soffited?

Ahanna, what do you think?

• kitchenkrazed09
    14 years ago

Staceyneil's last drawing is almost exactly the layout I described above (my last option), except my linen closet was on the same wall as the shower and to the left of it. You could do it with only taking 1' of space from the den. I also like that one the best!

• barn_lady79
    14 years ago

I would just add a pocket door, so you wouldn't be banging the door into the linen closet. Adds floor space and feels much more open that way. Otherwise, looks great.

• ahanna2010
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Our such great ideas guys!

Stacey your work is amazing. It's easy to see you have a lot of experience with this type of thing in addition to being very creative!

You had so many great ideas I wish you had numbered them so I could tell you which ones I liked :) I do love the one with the closet access from the bedroom. That is such a neat idea. The one that you came up with in the last post and the one that is almost exactly what Cori described really sounds like a grand option. It opens up the space so much and like everyone is saying, a beautiful bathroom space is probably more valuable sq. footage than an office.

I do prefer having the WC in it's own room. It really makes the bathroom seem much more clean and tidy, in addition to making the closet in the bathroom seem more welcoming. Maybe we can do a little pocket door into the closet to provide some space.

To answer some questions, the vertical wall on the left goes to the interior of the house, as do all walls except for the wall wear the window is.

I agree if the closet was slightly soffetted it could allow for high shelving. We could keep a few items that our out of season there and it could potentially look as if it was done like that on purpose.

I really like the third picture you posted too. It is a really nice layout with a nice size closet and a semi-private WC. But the last one is definitely the most attractive! I will certainly have to think on that one and let you know!

Thanks again to everyone! Especially Stacey!