Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bellaflora_gw

question regarding dying Subzero fridge

bellaflora
16 years ago

Hi..I am asking this Q for my sis.

She has an old sz fridge. model 550. 10 years old. The top part (refrig) is dying but the bottom part (freezer) still work. Should she get it fixed (expensive!!) or should she just chuck the whole thing and buy another refrigerator from lesser brand.

Thanks so much for your help!

Comments (10)

• cpovey
    16 years ago

SZ fridges are known to last many, many years. I don't know about older units, but current ones have some parts covered under warranty for 12 years.

If it were me, I would lean towards repair.

• alywa
    16 years ago

I'd opt to fix it, unless the bill was 25% or more of the cost of a new one.

The problem she is going to run into is "lesser" brands are just about as expensive as SZ, and exact sizing will be an issue for the replacement.

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

We've had several SZs for 19 years. At that point, if it stops working, it's usually the compressor, typically a $1000-$2000 repair, depending upon the model & who does your maintenance. However, after a compressor replacement, it's like getting a brand new SubZero, with all the superior refrigeration features. This is the reason SZs are typically repaired, not replaced.

You can postpone compressor replacement day by regularly removing the grill panel & vacuuming out the crud that collects.

• bellaflora
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks so much for your answer. She was all heart broken because the SZ has the custom front panel that matchs her cabinets. I am so glad the SZ still has another life!!

• bantoniewicz
    16 years ago

Related question. Is it worth investing in a 550? My wife and I are renovating our home and costs have forced us to reduce our budget in certain areas; e.g. a $6K sub zero 7 series is out. We found a few used 550s for less than 2K at High End Appliance in TX and are thinking of giving them a chance. Sounds like investing in a 550 you currently own makes sense but does buying a "new" make sense? Why SZ? Compressor quality, food freshness and built-in panel options. Even the KA and GE options are $5K+. We need to keep the refrigerator costs below $2.5K.

Thanks.

• gizmonike
    16 years ago

Will High End Appliance certify that the used unit is in good working condition? You don't want one dead on arrival or soon to need repair. Also, how old is the unit? I would risk a used SZ if it is in good working condition and as long as your space will easily allow a replacement later on.

• geo91324
    16 years ago

I also agree that I would go the repair route. My first guess would be the coil (about $1000); my second guess would be the compressor (slightly more). Find out who does SZ warranty work and have them come over for an estimate (about $100 in my area).

• payorplay
    15 years ago

I am facing a similar but more expensive decision, and I'd appreciate any opinions.

We have a 20-year-old SZ 532 built-in (covered by panels that match the rest of the kitchen--and we've been told it will be hard to fit these panels to any new machine). The refrigerator compressor is leaky and so the temperature can start to get unstable in the frig. The freezer compressor works better but also apparently leaks a little. We've had the compressors recharged (total cost about $300) a couple of times and that has stablized the situation (it lasted for about a year this last time), but the repair people tell us they aren't supposed to keep doing this for a leaky compressor.

Oh, and the icemaker stopped working last year. I don't actually care about this all that much, because I didn't really like the shape of the cubes anyway, but I suppose if we were going to repair the compressors we might as well fix the icemaker too. So the total cost of the repair, if I replace both compressors, might approach $2500 or even more.

We bought the house about 5 years ago so I don't know the history of how this unit was used before then. However, the repair guy did mention that it has a few minor non-SZ parts, so it was evidently repaired at some point in the past.

So at some point in the next year or two we will probably be facing the decision whether to fix or replace. I wouldn't consider throwing so much money at a 20-year-old appliance (especially one that I haven't owned since it was new) except that I keep reading hair-raising stories about the problems people have with the newer (electronic) Sub Zeros, and the consistent advice that the older (mechanical) ones are the best refrigerators out there, not to mention that replacing the frig may lead to a wholesale kitchen remodel.

The repair guy claims that the repaired machine will be much quieter as well as more energy efficient, but of course his job is to sell me an expensive repair.

Does anyone have experience with a major repair like this on an old SZ unit? Is it really worth it? Or should we just suck it up and buy something new, knowing that it probably won't fit the existing panels? Thanks for any advice.

• rkpatt
    12 years ago

I am reviving this old thread ...

I am helping a friend with a repair on a Subzero 550 . Loss of freon in the refrigerator section . I am looking for a manual and parts diagram . Tip on compressor and evaporator replacement are appreciated . Any links are appreciated .
    - Thanks