Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sj15106

Door Color When Mixing Woodwork

SJ15106
11 years ago

We have a way too small and seriously out-dated lake property that we are planning to have removed and a new home put in it's place. Intially we had hoped to just do a remodel but with everything that needed to be done, and the waterfront restrictions to deal with, rebuilding was really the only way to go.

I love white woodwork but my sentimental family members are used to always seeing stained woodwork on the old cottage for all these years. They feel it has more of the "homey lake feel". I somewhat feel the same for the main downstairs area. There will be an open kitchen, dining room, living area. I wouldn't mind doing the stained wood there.

I would like to use white woodwork upstairs. There is a door leading to the upper level so it would be naturally seperated anyway.

There is one bedroom downstairs, which would be off the open area. If I wanted to do white woodwork in there as well how do most people handle the door and frame color? Would it be brown on the outside to match the woodwork in that area and then white on the inside to match the bedroom? There is also a laundry off the kitchen that I would rather have white woodwork in. Same thing for that? I'm hoping that there is a way to make it all blend together and keep everyone happy.

Comments (5)

• suzyqtexas
    11 years ago

Sorry I don't have a picture, but in my main living area I have all stained wood work and doors. In the bedrooms and bathrooms the woodwork is painted and the windows and doors are stained. I love it and wish I could convince my husband to paint the woodwork in the living and kitchen area.

• SJ15106
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks so much. I'm glad to hear that it looks good that way. I don't want to have to give up my white bedroom woodwork just to match the rest of the house.

• virgilcarter
    11 years ago

It's your project, so you can do what you want to. At least, however, be consistent room, by room. If a number of the spaces are open to one another and there is no visual seperation, mixing stained and painted materials will look inconsistent and odd. The distinction will create an eye-catching contrast, rather than have everything appear integrated together.

You are doing a new house where you can think ahead and do what makes most sense for harmony and unity. Older, existing houses are often a piece-meal result over time. Just tell all the sentimental folks that they'll be just as sentimental about the new house as the old--it just won't be identical (for good reasons).

Good luck with your project.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

We have a mix of wood and painted trim in our house and pretty much it's a matter of what you see from which space is how we handled the trim. So the trim in the foyer is painted but open to the library where it is stained....you see the stained wood from the library and the painted trim in the foyer.

In the foyer we used the paint on the coffered ceiling but left the rest of the trim wood which matches the trim in the dining room to the left and the library to the right.

Looking from the hall into the kitchen, you can see the wood trim meeting the painted trim in the kitchen.

• SJ15106
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the input from everyone. Loved the pictures Annie. You seemed to have handled the transitions really well.

Luckily we still have time to think about it and make a decision that everyone is happy with.