Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sniffmeister

Poll: What is the 1 thing in your home you can't live without

sniffmeister
16 years ago

We're planning our build in the next few years, and would love to get your thoughts on your "must have item"!

And I don't mean things like a toilet. =D

Thanks

Comments (11)

• trudymom
    16 years ago

I really enjoy being able to dim my lighting.

• Phobie Privett
    16 years ago

Just right off the top of my head...lots and lots of extra built in storage, and a large laundry room with plenty of hanging and folding space. I could think of many more, but that's my top two for tonight!

• kateskouros
    16 years ago

our build hasn't started yet, but i already know i couldn't live without the large mudroom. it will have an 8' bank of four cubbies, hooks, drawers and shelves plus on the opposite wall: a six foot run of floor to ceiling closed cabinetry for extra pantry space and misc storage. there's also a secondary stackable washer/dryer in there.

• charliedawg
    16 years ago

We really enjoy our large covered deck. It was a must have when we built and it is our favorite part of the house.

Below is a link to a thread in here that has been posted to for months and months. It has a lot of great ideas and a few not so great ideas that people say they regret.

Here is a link that might be useful: large thread about must haves.

• amyks
    16 years ago

Truly, the one thing in my home I can't live without...the people who live in it with me!!;-) I know that was sappy, but I couldn't resist.

Now honestly, I LOVE my laundry room. Two big windows looking out to the woods, my sound system, cable hookup, integrated ironing board, tons of folding space....can you tell where I spend a great deal of my time? Oh, the other place I spend my time is the kitchen, but right now the laundry room is my favorite. Hopefully as the children grow up that will no longer be my favorite.

Amy

• tinker_2006
    16 years ago

One thing really important to me is recirculating hot water. This is done during the plumbing stages, but how nice is it to go wash your face in the morning/evening and have hot water right there!? I hate waiting for water to warm up, and this gives us instant hot in all sinks, tubs and showers!

• oruboris
    16 years ago

Oxygen?

• fishpants
    16 years ago

Master bedroom on the main floor. I have a balance disorder that has really gotten out of whack this past year. Stairs=VERY BAD during the most dizzy times!

Can I add one more???

-A 5'x17' pantry. We both love to cook. A lot.

• lbelle
    16 years ago

The cubby's as I walk in from the garage.

no wait, the pull out garbage can in the kitchen.

no wait, the reading lights over my pillow/bed so I can read at night

no wait, the laundry chutes!

• sis3
    16 years ago

Without a doubt, the central vacuum with Hide A Hose!

• susi_so_calif
    16 years ago

The kitchen counters on my side of the kitchen, plus the center island, are all 3" lower than standard. I'm 5'2'' tall (on a very good hair day) and this makes a big difference. My 6' tall hubby has his own standard height counter for doing the dishes at.