Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mratner_gw

Range ? Cooktop? Rangetop? (36')

mratner
13 years ago

Please forgive the newbie question but this is our first kitchen remodel and I am sure many people here have struggled with the same questions that we have.

A couple of relevant bits of info: we are putting a nice tile mural under the range hood, and we do not have space for a wall oven other then below countertops.

Having examined our current 30"-wide range with its extremely high back (over 12") I agree that we need to replace it with a "flat-looking" 36-inch model. The question that I've been grappling with is whether to go with a regular gas range/stove, a rangetop (knobs on the front) or a cooktop (knobs on top). Here are my thoughts so far, please comment:

Range:

---------

PROs:

A single integrated unit (cooktop / oven)

Knobs on the front provide a larger cooking surface than a cooktop (same as rangetop) and are not in the way (which is a problem for many cooktops)

CONs:

Expensive. Even the middle-of-the-road 36" ranges that I was able to find (Bertazzoni, Verona, NXR) are over $3K. Dacor, Wolf, Viking, etc. are easily north of $4.5K. My guess is that they are so expensive because of the 36"-wide ovens that are built into them. The thing is, we don't need a 36"-inch wide oven, just the top.

They seem to have a built-in 4" steel backsplash (or is it removable?), which is not too tall, but still a little bit in the way and doesn't have the clean look of a rangetop/cooktop merging into the tile backsplash

An example:

http://www.absoluteappliances.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DRGB3602&click=2

Rangetop:

---------

PROs:

No built-in steel backsplash, so a "cleaner" flat look merging into the tile backsplash, better than a range (unless the steel backsplash is removable on the range)

Knobs on the front provide a larger cooking surface than a cooktop (same as a range) and are not in the way (which is a problem for many cooktops)

CONs:

Ugly :) They all seem to stick out a bit in front and not integrate well with the cabinet underneath

Pretty deep, 8 inches I think, which eats into the cabinet underneath

Expensive. The better ones are at least $2K.

Would need to get a separate standalone oven, likely electric, and so incur costs running a 220 volt line

This one seems OK:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/DRT366.html

Cooktop:

---------

PROs:

No built-in steel backsplash, so a "cleaner" flat look merging into the tile backsplash, better than a range (unless the steel backsplash is removable on the range)

A cleaner look than a rangetop

Shallower than a rangetop, allowing for more space (an extra shelf) in the cabinet underneath

CONs:

Knobs on the top are awkward, and in most models are too close to the flame

Knobs on the top take up space, so less cooking surface than ranges and rangetops

Would need to get a separate standalone oven, likely electric, and so incur costs running a 220 volt line

This one seems OK:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/RGC365.html

QUESTION: if we were to go with either a 36" rangetop or a cooktop, we would want to save money on the oven, and get a 30" model. It would probably have to be electric, because standalone gas ovens tend to be quite expensive. Given the difference in width, it is probably not a good idea to build it under the cooktop, so we should place it elsewhere in the kitchen. The island (the side facing the sink) seems ideal. Of course, we'd need to consider the additional cost of running a 220 volt electric line to it. Can you comment? The type of oven I've been considering is something like this:

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/HBL340UC.html

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• djg1
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It seems mostly reasonable to me, but some of the generalities may not be as general as you think. For ranges, for example, (1) backs: quite a few companies offer different backs. For example, BlueStar has what they call an "island" back available on all ranges -- very low profile, and no real back-splash to speak of. This is just an example -- other brands offer the same option. (2) Price is what it is -- BlueStar, Capital, Wolf, Thermador, Viking, all want pretty close to 5k for a basic 36" range and some are more, even for all gas, and more still if you want dual fuel. If those prices seem out of line, don't even look at French options. BlueStar does, however, have the RCS model, with much lower prices, but still maybe 3k. Lower output on the high burners, but you still get open burners, and good output, and modifications have been described on this board to go higher. You might find floor models, close-outs, etc., with all sorts of things, but not necessarily what you want when you want it.

Range top: this may save you a bit of money, depending on the oven you pair it with. Or not -- take a 3K range-top and a 2k oven and you've paid what you'd pay for a 5K range. I don't think they're ugly at all, but ugly, like beauty, may be in the eye of the beholder.

Cooktops can offer good value and design flexibility but you yourself have noticed that the dollar savings may be paired with downgraded function. Many gas cooktops have 5 burners, instead of 6, and less flexibility/customization than you might find on a range or rangetop. Output may be reduced (depends on brand & model) Controls one some are awkward and on some may be very awkward (depends on brand and model). You may give up continuous grates, etc.

When pricing these things out, keep total price in mind. Does something slide into an existing (or planned) space, or does it require a custom cut-out in a counter or a cabinet modification? What sort of ventilation are you planning (need to go a little wider with island mounted cooktops & rangetops, for example)? What duct work or other modifications will that require? These factors may be more or less a wash when comparing two options, but they may not be. An extra 1 or 2k is real money, whether you're spending 15k on a kitchen or 100. But it pays to keep the full price in mind for any given bundle -- from the machine to its ancillary machines, to cabinet or counter work, gas and/or electric hookups, etc. Maybe you're balking at a 2k difference for a given piece that will only be 800 bucks, when all's said and done; or maybe you're on the fence about a 1k difference that's really going to be 3 or 4k when all's said and done.

Cannot hurt to look and try -- personally I found it helpful to sorting things out, but that's me.

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I am in the "Range" camp. My big pro is - it is under my vent hood when I broil fish or have anything else smelly in the oven.

• iroll_gw
    12 years ago

I'm a little late to the discussion, but I am having the same thoughts/concerns as you, and also don't love the hugeness that rangetops usually have. I am considering the Verona Pro Series VECTGP365SS, but can't find any discussions about this brand. The Bosch oven that you posted is similar in looks to the Ikea Nutid wall oven. It has a big oven, and is made by Whirlpool for Ikea. Unfortunately, there seems to be a problem with the self-cleaning feature on it, so I may wind up with the Bosch.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH