Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindy_gl

Finished-Craftsman style renovation

cindy_gl
15 years ago

Finally finished! I don't post here very often, I mostly lurk. I thought somoene else might get some ideas by posting my pictures. My favortie part of the forum is finished bathroom pictures.

We live in a 1920's craftsman style home, so when undertaking this bath reno, we wanted to try to stay close to the period of the home. We are mostly do it yourselfer's, so you will notice in the pictures some flaws, but overall we are happy, and even happier to be done (except for a couple of back ordered linen cabinets).

Bath tub-Kohler revival air jet tub

Fixtures-Kohler Forte

floor tiles-Dal tile and also antique border tiles from Lantiquario.

Wall tiles- subways from Dal tile

vanity-home decorators collection

shower fixtures Kohler all in one system (can not remember the correct name, but we purchased all fixtures in a bundle)

Shower floor is Kohler Salient

I am sorry, but I do not know how to post pictures in my post, they are on photobucket here is the link.

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e203/dg91223/bathroom%20reno/

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom renovation

Comments (14)

• glenna
    15 years ago

I LOVE the antique border tiles! They absolutely make the room. Did you have trouble matching them with your other Dal hex? Your hex looks creamy, not white.

Nice job.

• cindy_gl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks glenna, the Dal tiles on the floor are off white, not pure white. The burgundy color was very hard to find, and we went through lots of stress with that color. Our local tile guy found some American Olean, it came in, matched in color but not size. I found out those two companies measure their hex differently. American Olean was smaller than Daltile.

• nutherokie_gw
    15 years ago

Oh. My. Gosh. Those border tiles are just beyond gorgeous! Great. Another thing to add to my fantasy list. Beautiful job.

• timber.j
    15 years ago

That is about the most beautiful bathroom I have ever seen!

• cindy_gl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thank you!

• nkkp
    15 years ago

Absolutely great! You and DH have done a wonderful job. I didn't notice any flaws (and I am a major DIY'r). I especially love the trim and the board tile. You must be so proud!

• zeebee
    15 years ago

Amazing job - I can't believe it's DIY!

A couple of questions, if you don't mind -
    How large is the bathroom, and did you convert a bedroom into the bathroom (or add on to the original bathroom footprint)? It looks huge! And what is the gorgeous warm deep golden paint color on the walls? It sets off the woodwork beautifully.

(*applause*)

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

Beautiful! I love the four-poster-bed-style tub! (not sure if it has a proper name)

Blue

• mahatmacat1
    15 years ago

UnREAL. DIY?! The border tiles are incredible. I have to look up that vendor you mentioned.

I second the request for name of paint/color on the walls. It's a *perfect* complement for the dark wood.

And a question: are those shower tiles facing the door? Or is that something else in the walls?

• cindy_gl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks so much for all your compliments. There really are flaws, but if you don't see them, then I am not telling ...lol

I am so angry at myself for not taking before pictures. My original bath was SMALL, like 6 by 8. We took out a bedroom. (It was a spare bedroom, that we never used except to store crap. We still have 2 extra bedrooms upstairs, besides our master. We are empty nesters, and even when the kids come home, we have plenty of sleeping room, just not enough bath space for eveyone to get ready at once.

We also took out a chimney that was no longer needed, but thankfully we were able to keep the laundry shoot!

Our new bath size is approx. 12 by 22. We also went into the top of the stairs landing space for some extra space. Which meant redo of the upstairs landing area.

The paint color was bought at a local hardware store, and it is Valspar-sentimental yellow. I had chips behind those mirrors during the whole process, making sure of the color in different light, and after going back and forth way too many times, finally decided on the sentimental yellow.

There are shower tiles facing the shower door. All subways with a green trim border closer to the top.

I hope I answered eveyones questions. Again thanks for all the compliments, my husband will be proud.

• jejvtr
    15 years ago

Cindy

WOW! that is one labor of LOVE - Beautiful -

DIY!!!!!!! Hard to believe - please do a separate post calling Bill V I'm sure he'll give major kudos for that tile job.

Stunning - enjoy!

• conn123
    15 years ago

Beautiful job...love the tub surround! Did you do that yourself? WOW?

• littlealexa
    15 years ago

Wow, Cindy, truly craftsman!!! I honestly would not what anyone using that bathroom, so I hope you have a second bath somewhere in you house.

Your tile is so beautifully done, I think what sets it apart from other vintage baths that I have seen is the border, truly eye candy!

I also own a craftsman type house in which I have shades of yellows and it definitely beautifies the dark woodwork.

Great job!

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Wow, that must be one big house you have- your Master bath alone is as big as two of my bedrooms!

Anyhow- have to repeat that those antique tiles are fabulous.

Waiting to see the picture of the butler with the silver tray serving you while lounging in the bubble bath (with bubbles discreetly hiding all).