Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodelfla

Suggestions for 42 or 48 inch frig

remodelfla
15 years ago

We're looking for a sxs built-in stainless frig. DH decided that he doesn't like the FD, I'm OK with that. I had planned for a 42" but I could steal 6" from my 4' baking counter and go 48". It's just the 2 of us but we like to entertain ALOT. We like the Thermador but it' pricier then I'd like. The Kitchenaid is more reasonable. So... I'd love feedback on the Thermador vs. Kitchenaid vs. Jade (is it a rebadged Amana?) vs. Monogram vs. any others you'd recommend. Not crazy about the industrial look of the Sub Zero. I prefer a sleeker look but will consider all. I feel the separate columns would get too expensive once your done with trim kits that connect them.

Thanks.

Comments (13)

• cpovey
    15 years ago

Get the 48". The amount of insulation is identical, so you get all 6" extra as usable space.

I have the SZ (a 632) and love it. Superior warranty-some parts covered for as long as 12 years, and it's transferable.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The warranty is a great point to think about. How do the other manufacturers compare regarding warranty?

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I read both the Thermador site and Sub Zero site. Both refrigeration units seem to have a 5 year warranty on parts/labor for the sealed system and limited 12 year on parts for the sealed system. Does anyone know about the Monogram or Kitchenaid? I couldn't find anything definitive.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

SZ 632 about to be replaced by new BI series this fall.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

clinresga... Do you know the differences between the two? Also, I can't find a price on the 632, do you know? Can I assume that there might be some deals to be had on the 632 if it's replaced style wise?

• longtimetech
    15 years ago

Monogram has a 2yr full warranty,5 year full sealed system,ten year sealed system parts.Also make sure you can get good service in your area for the brand you chose.

• zoenipp
    15 years ago

If SubZero is changing models, you might look into getting a better price on an existing floor model at your local SZ dealer. I have a 642 I bought that way (saved about 30%) which we have absolutely loved. It really is true that it keeps produce much more fresh. I've had Monogram and Kitchenaid built-in's in previous homes and would rank the three as follows: Subzero, Kitchenaid, Monogram. SZ and KA were trouble-free; the Monogram had numerous service calls. SZ keeps more even temps and just feels more solidly constructed, of course only IMO.

• remodelfla
    Original Author
    15 years ago

longtime... thank you. That is helpful. I couldn't find that info.

zoenipp... that's exactly the kind of info I needed. I'm having trouble finding online prices for the 48" SZ built in with no ice in the door. Anyone have an idea?

• sonicpower
    15 years ago

@zoenipp

How do you rate your experience between the Sub-Zero and KA?

Was the temperature more even?

• clinresga
    15 years ago

remodelfla:
    The new BI's are now officially on the SZ website. Here's the page to start on:
    New Wolf/SZ products

I do not know anything about pricing. Maybe canuck99 is lurking, I think he's ordered them.

Availability is unclear. Sept/Oct is what I am hearing bandied about but these dates sometimes slip.

There is a parallel post right above yours (SZ vs KA refrigerators). The OP there was quoted over $8K for the 632. (I was quoted $6900 back in March). That was for a soon-to-be-discontinued model!

My SZ dealer had told me that all the 632's were being sold as soon as manufactured and he expected no discounts towards the end of their lifespan--but I'm sure he would have preferred to sell me a BI, which I am confident will be more! He was a schmoe--another reason we ended up ordering Therms.

• zoenipp
    15 years ago

I had one service call on my previous Kitchenaid 42" BI which was handled courteously, promptly, and efficiently. That service was for a leveling issue which was affecting the door seal, an issue related to installation error and not the refrigerator itself. We lived in that house for 4.5 years and had no other issues with the KA. When we built our new house, I looked at SZ as well as KA and would have gone with the KA for cost reasons but was then offered the SZ floor model at a significant discount. I do think the SZ is a more solidly-built refrigerator and yes, it really does keep more even temps in both the refrigerator and freezer. It also keeps my produce fresh for a noticeably longer amount of time. I wasn't expecting that - thought it was all hype - but it turned out to be a valid claim. However, they are certainly much more expensive unless you find a deal on a floor model.

• canuck99
    15 years ago

Hi,

I have not ordered yet since they are not available to order. I have built my kitchen with the 48 no dispensing version. I had the cabs installed this week over a 3 day period and I have the cab fronts to match sitting in my house.

• clinresga
    15 years ago

canuck99: keep posting. I'm living through you vicariously.

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County