Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mjaye_gw

Benjamin Moore color assist for bathroom--

mjaye
14 years ago

I am in the process of doing a semi-major remodel and need help selecting a Benjamin Moore color-- I am trying for a semi-Mission look (unfortunately the color of the vanity is a light oak)- the countertop is a dark green granite-- the faucets and accessories will be a brushed (dark) bronze color-- the floor tile will be some kind of variegated dark beige/green porcelain- I need a paint to tie it all together-- it is currently a Benjamin Moore linen white- Although it is technically a full bathroom- it only has a shower stall so it is on the small size- there are just too many whites, off whites-beiges etc. to choose from-- I have looked online at Concord Ivory, Porter Ranch Cream, and Devon Cream-- would any of these work?- I am looking for a clean, warm look to the bathroom. Need suggestions soon!!!

Comments (22)

• User
    14 years ago

Can you post a picture? It's hard to suggest color without seeing a picture first. If you don't know how to post pictures, there is a thread in the Kitchen's forum titled, "READ ME FIRST IF YOUR NEW TO GW KITCHENS FORUM" They try to keep it on the first page, but it does get buried so you may need to do a search for it. The search box at the bottom of the page,

• mjaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I am having difficulty getting all four pics on this site lukkiirish-- they are all on one album on photobucket but it only uploads one pic when I copy what's in the html box- what am i doing wrong?

• pepperidge_farm
    14 years ago

How about a link to the album instead of loading the photos?

or
    Try putting the code into the body of the message.

• mjaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have tried putting in the HTML code and the album code- whatever I do- it only prints the first picture or only one picture grr..... any other ideas?

• User
    14 years ago

copy the link to your photobucket page and paste it in the "Optional Link URL" which is located under the message box where you type your post. You have to also add a name for the link in the "Name of Link" box.

For multiple pictures, you do need to post the HMTL of each pic one at a time into the message box but it will allow for many pictures to be pasted. If you're having a problem though, go ahead & post your link, one of us can post the pictures for you, no problem.

• mjaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for all the help- I have (finally) posted pics of the existing bathroom -and the new granite counter top-- there will be brushed bronze faucets-- a light oak vanity and, something like the floor I have posted. So, as to the original question: What BM paint?--

• dfzmom
    14 years ago

Mjay- Sorry, I can't suggest a color but I just wanted to say that looks like the exact layout of our small master bath (we we will doing a remodel later in the year). Curious as to your plans. Are you making any major changes to the layout?

• mjaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

We are not doing a MAJOR remodel- there is very little we can do with the layout- That being said, the existing layout is ok- this is the bathroom DH uses and guests use when they sleep over-- we mainly wanted to update the 70's look that's pictured here. We have a Kohler white shower stall that's still in very good shape- we are replacing the toilet with another Kohler fixture that's more efficient on water usage (we replaced the upstairs toilet and it actually sits higher and takes up less space than the original one)-- the vanity has to go-- we think with a new, darker porcelain floor- the green granite top and the oak vanity, it will totally change the look of the room and make it more in keeping with the rest of the house- we have already purchased a very neat, mission-look light fixture and the bronze faucets look very sharp- I am thinking about replacing the wicker shelving with a more streamlined wrought iron towel stand. I guess I might be overfocusing on the paint- but I think this will also make a big difference in the "feel" of the room.

• tzmaryg
    14 years ago

My default BM wall color is "niveous white". it goes well with the default trim of "dove white." Niveous white is warm, on the creamy side. That said, no color on a paint chip looks like the color on the web. And no color on the wall looks like it did on the chip. Every room has different lighting that makes a huge difference, as does the space itself. I found that it is worth the investment to get samples and try them on the wall in the room or on pieces of wall board to move around. One rule I have found useful (and have always regretted not following) is to get a color one shade lighter than the color I think I want. The intensity of the color goes up a full notch when it is one the whole wall. Have you thought about something other than white? Given your style and the stone you have picked out it seems to me that something like a light khaki green would be elegant, tie it all together and make the room seem airier as well.

• mjaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

interesting idea!-- I have been so afraid of color-- my entire house is painted in various neutral- off white shades: china white, linen, dove, etc. I have a cathedral ceiling in my BR and have been considering painting it in BM harbortown (a sage green color)- do you know of a particular BM name? I think a green color would actually complement the floor and fixtures nicely (also there is green in virtually every room in my house except the walls!)-

• User
    14 years ago

Yeah, I see you got your pictures posted! I love that granite. Now to answer your original question regarding colors, when I read where you mentioned mission style, the first thing that popped into my head was a light khaki or olive green as well or you could pull the lightest color out of that beautiful stone of yours and match that. I actually was in a home this past weekend that had a kitchen with corian counters similar to your granite and a nice olivey green on their walls, it made the room. Their cabinets were on the lighter side too only they were maple and the green they used was perfect. Closest match I can find for it is Georgian Green. There are some areas in the kitchen where it picked up some browns from the flooring and others where it picked up the green from the corian. Wish I could post a picture, but I don't have their permission. If we can't talk you into the green, a soft ivory color I've used and love is Raffia Creme. It's a Behr color but BM can easily match it. We have it in our hallways and on a wall in the living room. Very soft and rich and will look great with the elements you've chosen as well.

I'm glad you didn't give up trying to post your pictures and hope this helps! --Lukki

• mjaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Lukki!-- I definitely agree with the light khaki green-- so, I think it will either be the Georgian Green that you suggested or Splendor by BM, which may be a bit lighter. I think it will tie everything together nicely and add warmth to the room. The floor is in my kitchen-- and we are trying to find slightly smaller tiles for the bathroom in a similar color scheme. The green color in the floor really enhances the green zodiac countertops in our kitchen.

• User
    14 years ago

Oh my! I thought that was granite! Maybe it's the same that I saw at that house afterall! Well what ever it is, it's very pretty, I like it alot. Glad the color suggestion might be the one, colors can be very different on the screen, so if it doesn't work out at least you've got a direction to go in. I love your flooring, we have just installed a slate in our bathroom that looks very much like that. Smaller tiles can be very busy looking. Those are 12x12's right? Larger tile can help a room to look more spacious, and from what I can tell, it would look great in the that sized room. You may want to consider using the 12x12's instead. Looks like you've got a beautiful plan. Now that you know how to post pictures, I hope you share the after pics as well! Good Luck! -- Lukki

• mjaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That counter top is granite and the floor is porcelain-- one more question: if I paint the walls the khaki color- do I paint the ceiling white or use the same color- it's such a small room....

• tzmaryg
    14 years ago

IMHO, ceiling should be white. In that small space I think carrying the khaki green over the top would be "putting a lid on the box."

• User
    14 years ago

I thought that was granite...ok, I misread...sorry. Ok, for ceilings, I usually do 1 or 2 shades lighter than what I put on my walls. That way what I generally end up with is an off white that has a tone of the wall color in it. There's been a couple of times when I didn't like that color (like now with the bathroom color we're using), so what I intend to do is to make the ceiling color a tint darker by adding more of my wall color to it. --Lukki

• User
    14 years ago

mjaye, have you used the benjamin moore sight for colors yet? I was looking around for a lighter khaki color for you. You may also want to check out Rosemary Sprig it has a more muted look to it, but is a good khaki color. If you do a test on one of their bathroom photos with a ceiling, put Rosemary Sprig on the walls and Soft Fern or even Silken Pine on the ceiling. It's a beauitful combination (at least one my screen) -- Lukki

• mjaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Lukkiirish- as if I wasn't conflicted already (lol)!-- love the rosemary sprig- which is a deeper color than the georgian green-- I just bought the sampler of the georgian green which I will test- now I am thinking about harbour town vs. rosemary sprig for my bedroom which has a cathedral ceiling-- decisions....decisions.....

• User
    14 years ago

I know! I struggled literally for weeks on our bathroom color. Finally went with Sea Salt by Sherwin Williams a contrast to the darker slate. It's a soft gray blue/green and I'm having a heck of a time getting the ceiling color just right. I LOVE color and there are just too many options to choose from! That rosemary is pretty though! Glad you liked!

• hcw1103
    14 years ago

I LOVE your tile for this...what is the brand/color if you don't mind me asking?

• mjaye
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks!-- DH laid this tile in the kitchen and because it so perfectly coordinated with our green Zodiac countertop and oak cabinets we thought we would use the same or similar tile in the bathroom. I wrote down the exact name but can't seem to find it on the internet. The company is Unicom-Starker and the specific tile we used was Ardesia-Mushio- it is a porcelain tile made in Italy. I did find something made by the same company that looks similar: #CTS241 in green- you may want to see what that looks like.

• hcw1103
    14 years ago

I found it...thanks!