Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
andrelaplume2

Cultured Marble Bath Counter top Question

andrelaplume2
15 years ago

We need to swap out 20 year old Moen faucets. My wife does not like the 80's style laminate counter tops in the bath and I figure that if I was replacing the faucets, maybe thats a good time for the tops.

I was walking thu Lowes and they had 'Estate' brand premium cultured marble tops, Onyx (sort of off white marble) on clearance super cheap....$29 for 31" and $39 for a 49". Thats a saving of over $100 on each. I bought them....they said they could be returned. My wife likes them. I was wondering though if there is a downside to cultured marble tops in general, a downside to the 'Estate' brand, a reason to stay away from them etc etc.

Thanks!

Comments (12)

• jakkom
    15 years ago

If you like the style/color/price, there's absolutely nothing wrong with keeping them. There's a lot of snobs on these forums who turn their noses up at any resin product, but the fact is, they exist because they're usually a good buy for the money and will last - with care! - a very long time.

Do NOT use any abrasive products on them. Never, ever, ever. It's unnecessary as the gelcoating means it cleans easily with a sponge or green scrubbie, at most.

In certain markets, using cultured marble is questionnable for resale. However, if you are staying in your home for more than five years, you don't need to care much about resale anyway.

Enjoy your find!

• blondelle
    15 years ago

We have had a small HD vanity that came with a cultured marble top like that in my mom's house. The sink is part of the top. It was a lot less than yours. It's been there for about 7 years and looks brand new. The only wear is maybe some VERY fine scratches all over that you only see when the light hits it. They might have even been part of the finishing process when we got it new. Still looks brand new. No staining, or etching of the surface at all. It's very easy to clean. We are very happy with it.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks! I did not know marble was a resin product though. They are not as fancy as corian and granite etc but they look better than the laminate we have now.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

Cultured marble is sort of like faux pearls or diamondique.... the name is a bit misleading! It is a blend of resin and marble dust which can be tinted and so varies widely in quality and style.

We used it in our house when it was originally built and are now remodeling. The white on our half bath vanity and hall bath still looks okay as far as style. Just a plain white with some minor gray swirling and we'll be keeping it as we work our way through the house remodeling.

But our master bath counertop and tub surround is now in the dumpster as it was sort of a taupe color with lots of swirling and was just obviously "fake".

• brutuses
    15 years ago

It's great. Have had one for 20 years in this house and nothing stains it. Am having them in the new house too!!

Ours doesn't have "swirls" in them so they don't look fake.

• gbsim1
    15 years ago

I should have added too that like brutuses I've found that mine have held up great. Hard use with four sons over 23 years and it all still looks fine. No stains or chips. Never cleaned with anything but window cleaner or a damp rag, no sealing etc....
    I've got drop in sinks that are china and cast iron so I'm talking about just the countertops themselves.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks all....we are keeping them! Now I need to find some faucets.

• arizonasue
    15 years ago

Sounds like you got a very good buy, and personally I've found only the swirly kind to be very dated. Cultured marble/onyx can get fine scratch lines,so clean it carefully. A great product to bring out the luster, and protect the finish is Gel-Gloss, found at your hardware store. It also works well if you have any polished chrome that is water-spotting and you want it to look nice and shiny.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

The POs put in the swirly, yellowish kind in our house. It cleans up nice, doesn't look worn out, but is obviously dated and looks cheap to me. For upkeep, I find the counters to be just fine, but for appearance, I'm not crazy about them.

• User
    15 years ago

I have been looking at these in HD and Lowes. that is some buy you got there!!!!
    To those of you who mentioned without swirls-- is it the white? I think other than the plain white, they all seem to have striations or swirls. Just curious.

• ilovetn
    15 years ago

We put them in our new home for both vanities in the master bath. They look great. I usually use the Dow Scrubbing Bubbles to clean them. . .it's gentle. Every once in a while I use Hopes Counter Polish (from HD). The one in our FL house still looks fine after 30 years.

• andrelaplume2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ours is white with a few darker swirls here and there...its not a solid white....I do not see it on the website but here is something similar:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=64308-444-DP231-12&lpage=noneroabbaly can see a pick on the Lowes wbesire