Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lkietur

Need expert's advice on using marble and travertine mosaic tiles

auzzy
13 years ago

I read Bill's advice and the comments on the John Bridge tile site advising not to use marble, and especially not to use travertine or limestone, on a shower floor. Yesterday I went to two tile shops, which both had the same marble/limestone mix 5/8 inch mosaic tile. Both shops said the pits in the limestone get filled with grout and then sealed and so it's OK to use for a shower floor. But one shop said it wouldn't need resealed for 10 years and another said it would need resealed every 2 years. I really don't want to reseal the floor every 2 years. The tile experts on the forums recommend using ceramic tile for a shower floor but ceramic tiles don't seem to come in a mix of colors. Since my floor tile is a porcelain tile that looks like a cream-colored marble, and the shower wall tile is cream colored glazed ceramic squares, using a cream colored honed ceramic tile for the shower floor seems awfully boring, plus it would need a lighter grout that would tend to show mildew more. So tile experts, what do you think? If the marble/limestone mix has the pits sealed with grout and then is sealed with Stainguard 500, how often would it need to be resealed? The marble mixes that don't include the limestone are too expensive--over $50 sq. ft. compared to $17 sq. ft. Thanks for your help.

Comments (5)

• beckyg75
    13 years ago

Hey Auzzy,

Great question. The salesperson at the tile store near me suggested a mosaic of tiny marble squares for my master bath shower floor. I asked if it would be a pain to keep clean, and she said, "No, not at all." She said that the marble and grout would be sealed upon installation.

Now, after reading the John Bridge site (thanks for the reference - I didn't know about that) I am worried.

I didn't buy anything yet, but am close to needing to put the order in so the materials will be ready in time for the contractor.

In my last bathroom, I had a tub, but on the bathroom floor there was slate that was gorgeous. I did have to seal it every 6 months but it was very easy to do.

If that would be good enough so we can get our stone shower floors, I'd be fine with it.

Experts?

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

let me put it this way-- I'm not a big one for any kind of natural stone on a shower floor. I think it's asking for trouble, in the way of stored moisture causing mold, mildew, and algae problems inside the stone. Sealing will help control it, and so long as you're aware of the diligence required, then that's fine.

All this said, I HAVE installed many tumbled stone shower floors, both 4x4 and mosaics.

• kitch_n_kat
    13 years ago

Non-expert, DIY input-- I posted a similar ? when I was considering materials and did not get a response...so gathered info. at other sites, like you did.
    Isn't filling the holes with caulk, before grouting, a better option? This is how I treated our travertine mosaic on the floor, shower niches and trim pieces. Stone is not on our shower floor- but if you go that route, caulk is a better fill since it is more water-proof than grout. We used an off-white caulk and grout then sealed.

{{gwi:1457682}}

{{gwi:1457680}}

• auzzy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Bill. So, which store should I believe? The one that says seal every 2 years or the one that says if the contractor uses SealGuard it won't need resealing for 10 years? Would you mind showing us a photo or two of a pretty shower floor that is not marble or travertine? Thanks.

• bill_vincent
    13 years ago

I'd go with the guy who says every 2-3 years. I know most sealers say they'll last years and years. I don't believe em, especially with the cleaners, soaps, and shampoos that will come in contact with it.