Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luckygal1

A little bit of Christmas from my house

luckygal
14 years ago

I haven't been around much as I've been creating some decor for Christmas. Haven't even unpacked most of the Christmas deco boxes but I'll show you what I've made so far. Still making more things and the actual decorating awaits but I'm taking my time, no rush, is there? ;-)

This pale blue & white topiary is for my bedroom. My furniture there is white so I wanted something light.

{{gwi:1453561}}

I had been given boxes full of pinecones so decided to do something crafty with them. This pinecone tree will go in my foyer.

{{gwi:1453562}}

This is not really decorated yet for Christmas, I just threw some deco's in a bowl. What I did recently was paint this mirror cream, it was gold. I had previously done the candlesticks which used to be rusty. I can't ever leave anything well enough alone! LOL

{{gwi:1453563}}

Here's a metal basket with "gilded" fruit which I may put on a wreath, or just leave as it. It's just cheap plastic stuff from a YS and used to be fruit color til DH spray painted it for me.

{{gwi:1453564}}

I've painted picture frames and put old sheet music in them. Sheet music "antiqued" with coffee.

{{gwi:1453565}}

Not sure what color to call this. It's a pinecone wreath I made back in the 80's which I just painted with several metallic paints. I like it better this way.

{{gwi:1453566}}

Most of these things were yard sale finds but I won't bore you with the details!

This is a tree that DH cut from our "back-40" and put in the old rusty wheelbarrow I've been trying to pry out of his grasp for ages! He says it's still useful! LOL I have plans for it in my garden come spring. He knows it too as he hasn't painted it which he does with everything. I love rusty old stuff. The snow was short-iived but we'll get more, I'm sure.

{{gwi:199042}}

That's it for now, I'll probably post more pics once I actually do some decorating. Right now I'm doing mundane stuff like cleaning house. Not as much fun as decorating.

Comments (23)

• dreamgoddess
    14 years ago

Wow, looks like you've been busy! Everything is so pretty. I'm curious...what did you use to make the topiary? I love, love, love the wheelbarrow with the tree.

• bettyd_z7_va
    14 years ago

Wow! I'm loving so much of what you've done.

My favorites are:

The blue and silver- how elegant
    The cool pinecone tree
    I painted a mirror just like your's -wish I had the candlesticks to go with it! (You can just send that pretty bowl of baubles to me)
    And the tree in the wheelbarrow- (already showed it to DH!)

Can't wait to see the reat!

Betty

P.S. Snow already!

• mary_ruth
    14 years ago

I love blue and silver, growing on me.
    That pine cone tree is awesome, I love CONE trees!
    I see you have had some fun with your festive mantel.
    That wheelbarrow idea was clever and so cute!

• phonegirl
    14 years ago

Luckygal, you are one talented lady and have alot of really neat Christmas items you've made. I'm impressed with all of your creations. You Go Girl! Your home is going to be beautiful.TFS Punk

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Oh man...where to start! The pale blue topiary is quite elegant and will be wonderful in your bedroom. I am crazy for your big pinecone tree tho! I've wanted to make one for ages but not sure how to even start, and my idea was a small one. But after seeing yours.......WOW. Any tips on how to that you could share? The pinecone wreath is pretty too.
    The tree in the wheelbarrow is delightful. That fruit gilded is fantastic! I've got to try that one! The mirror and candlesticks in white are really nice!!
    You've been a busy, busy gal.

hugs, Karen

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

Such great decorations.
    I love the tree in the Wheelbarrow..
    I think your 80's wreath Looks like it's a 'Champaigne'
    color...and is very nice.
    I like what you did with all the pinecones. Great idea.
    Looking forward to seeing more.
    TFS

jane

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Dreamgoddess, the blue and white topiary is made with styrofoam balls with Christmas printed tissue glued on with white glue in pieces about 2"x2" just ripped, not cut. When it was dry I slathered more white glue on and sprinkled coarse clear plastic "ice crystals" on. The "crystals" need lots of glue to stick, I've had those things all over when I didn't use enough glue. The snowman pattern on the tissue doesn't really show thru the crystals but the different colors look more interesting than plain tissue would.

Thanks, Betty, that bowl of baubles is a $3 YS find which I just love! Filled with some YS Christmas ornaments which will go on the tree. The only thing worth anything there is a blue iridescent handblown art glass ball from my collection. The candlesticks are one of the few things I bot new. I love using mostly cheap YS finds in my decor. Snow didn't last long but it'll be back!

Thanks, Mary Ruth! I saw the wheelbarrow idea on a blog and just shamelessly copied.

Punk, that's so nice of you but I seldom feel very talented compared to the rest of you here! I do love playing with my house tho.

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I should remember to refresh before posting but often forget that!

Thanks, Karen, I have been busy and my house looks like a busy crafter's house (not good!) but is getting tidied and cleaned before I do the tree and place the decorations. I was asked for the instructions for the pinecone tree elsewhere so I'll just repeat here. It's pretty easy, just takes time and lots of glue sticks!

How I made my pinecone tree:

I had a styrofoam cone that I got at a yard sale and several boxes of free pinecones. Because I wasn't sure it was going to work the way I wanted I decided not to glue onto the foam so made a cone from cardboard that fits perfectly. I save a lot of things for crafts and this is mid-weight cardboard that was too good to throw out. I used my glue gun to make the cone (which is not glued to the foam cone), then glued the small pinecones to the cardboard starting at the bottom with the largest of the small cones. I kept gluing cones on using smaller cones toward the top and a larger one at the very top. Usually directions say to put hot glue on the pinecone then attach to the styrofoam cone. When it was all glued I turned it over to my "spray paint man" (my DH) who does most of the painting around here. Because I felt it needed something more I cut a circle of cardboard a bit smaller than the top of the urn, cut some metal leaves from floral sprays I had for another project, and stapled them around the circle. DH painted that also. Then I pushed some floral foam tightly in the urn, layered on the cardboard with leaves, and then the cone of pinecones. Of course in the very beginning I used a pencil to make a center hole in the foam cone and foam in the urn, and cut a hole in the center of the leaf cardboard. Then to connect the pieces I pushed a wooden dowel into the hole in the tree, thru the leaf cardboard, and into the hole in the foam in the urn. Holds it all together quite nicely. It's not glued so if I tire of it I can reuse the foam cone and everything. I've glued too many things together or bot them glued together that I later wanted to change so now I only glue if it's necessary for something to stay together. Gravity works really well in most cases!

Thanks, Jane! Yes, champagne color sounds good. I had seen a similar wreath in a home decor store and I'm blocking out how much it was as it was expensive. I found a similar spray paint color but it wasn't glitzy enough so had DH mist gold and copper over it. I love metallic spray paint, makes a lot of things look better.

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

I just love creative, crafty people who come up with ways to reuse and repurpose things and make them beautiful again! Love all your projects especially the two pinecone projects. The framed sheet music makes a great display too. I've picked up a couple of music books to use for projects on my "too long to do" list, I'll have to add this idea too. ;o) I'll be looking forward to seeing more of your projects and decorating. Glad you're having fun. Luvs

• pdg777
    14 years ago

Your creations are beautiful! I just LOVE them. I love gold, and always will so I'm thinking to steal your idea of spray painting the fruit. love, love, love the tree in the wheelbarrow.

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, yes, Luvs, that ol' "too-long-to-do-list". Mine just keeps getting longer as I save pics from the internet of things I'd love to do. I actually have folders full of these pics. I had a stack of music books pushed on me for free at a yard sale as they just wanted them gone so will be making more things with music sheets. Fortunately there are many things they can be used for. I'm not done with them yet!

Pdg777, there are a lot of things that can be spray painted to look better. My DH often spray paints things I buy at yard sales and they look like new. I love gold and have to be careful or my entire house would be full of gold things!

Thanks to you both for the nice comments.

• bonnieann925
    14 years ago

So pretty! The tree in the wheel barrow is priceless. I like that whimsical touch!

• lynnencfan
    14 years ago

I love everything you have done - I love to craft and especially recycling garage sale finds into works of art - spray paint is WONDERFUL!!!!! I have a couple of pinecone wreaths that I made back in the 70's - I am going to spray paint one of them like you did - that is beautiful - keep sharing your refurbushed finds - love them ....

Lynne

• jeannespines
    14 years ago

Ahhhh, I am kickin' myself for donating that old pinecone wreath to GW a couple yrs. ago! Love both those projects, luckygal! And please post that wonderful Christmas tree on the GJ forum, too...that surely classifies as we have several GJers who do wonderful gardening with those old wheelbarrows! Yeah, I'm glad you finally got it away from DH!

All your Christmas decor is wonderful! You've been busy! TFS pics! Jeanne S.

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

LG, thanks for the great detailed instructions on the pinecone tree. I've saved them in my files.

hugs, Karen

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much for the lovely comments.

Bonnie, I love whimsy also and loved this idea when I saw it. It's pretty easy to do altho my DH actually did it all! I just find the ideas to keep him busy! LOL

Lynn, it really is amazing what a little spray paint will do, isn't it. I used to sell pre-owned treasures in my store which we bot at YS's and I cleaned up and DH painted. They looked like new and sold really well! I think most of my house is decorated in YS treasures!

Jeanne, nice to see you over here! I haven't been over at GJ much since our season is over early and I find even thinking about gardening a bit depressing. I will post there and also must post about my garden house as I promised. I'm very remiss with taking and posting pics when I'm busy.

You're most welcome Karen, and you know we expect to see a pinecone creation from you before long! No pressure now. ;-)

• excessfroufrou
    14 years ago

Girl, everything looks great. The blue is nice, I like all different colors for Christmas, it is hard to put red in a blue room (like my family room or pink kitchen). The antique sheet music is right up my alley, I remember in the 70's we made angels and trees from old hymnals. I forgot about them till now, I think my MIL still has hers. And of course the fruit and pinecones are Christmas classics.
    Syble

• ncnana
    14 years ago

LG, I love all your projects. I really love that pine cone tree, the pine cone wreath and your topiary tree.

The little Christmas tree in the wheel barrow is wonderful, and I loved seeing the snow on the ground. Thanks for the great ideas. - Gail

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Syble and Gail!

Syble there are so many possibilities now for Christmas colors it's almost difficult to choose. I think sheet music crafts are back again, at least I've seen a lot on blogs.

Gail, I get so many good ideas here, I'm just glad to post my stuff and hope someone else may be inspired.

• calicocat1967
    14 years ago

Love the framed music. And the pinecone tree is so elegant in that pot. Thanks for sharing.
    Kim

• sameboat
    14 years ago

Oh what fun! My favs are the tree in the wheelbarrow and the framed music. Great ideas!

• bonniee818
    14 years ago

Looking great, Luckygal! Love that pinecone tree....awesome!
    Bonnie

• luckygal
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks so much CalicoCat, Sameboat, and Bonnie!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions