Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
salmon_slayer

Need help with Master Bathroom design

salmon_slayer
15 years ago

We have finally decided to remodel the master bedroom/bath. Its a large room overall 32' x 21' total, the master bedroom is huge compared to the bath. we currently have a fiberglass shower/tub combo and a 8x8 walk in closet. We are working with an architect to break it up a bit and he has provided the following as an idea. This will be a DIY job. I am good at building/tiling etc but lousy at designing. Does this look okay from you experts. Also, any recommendations for websites that have good inspirations. I can copy!

the new master bath/closet area is approx 14' x 21'. we have room to move is necessary. the challenge is leaving the entry door where it is. This will leave the master bedroom ~18' x 21'

this was the concept:

Comments (16)

• ritab64
    15 years ago

Hi - Is there a reason why you have put the entrance to the closet in the bathroom? What about putting the entrance to the closet on the same wall as the bathroom entrance, just below the linen cabinet. That would give you a direct entrance into the closet, steam doesn't go into the closet, and you gain that space for more storage.

Maybe you're trying to avoid a row of doors.

Rita

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

lol, another door is the least of my problems. I see your point though and it's a good one. Would two doors look funny from the master bedroom?

• snowyshasta
    15 years ago

I think the two doors would look okay, but personally I might keep the closet entrance in the bathroom anyway. I think it depends upon how you operate. After showering in the morning, I go straight to the closet for clothes, so it's more convenient to have the entrance in the bathroom (which ours is) than having to go out through the bedroom and around. But maybe you more often dress from the bedroom, not the bathroom. I'd suggest thinking about how you'd like things to work and put the door accordingly. You could also have two (one from bedroom, one from bathroom) but then you lose some wall/hanging space in the closet.

I like your overall design! It seems like a good use of the space.

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

we would want a door into the closet directly from the bathroom. I thought the idea was to add one more doow. DW had the same concern when we looked at it last night. That and the window above the bathtub.

• suero
    15 years ago

Personally, I prefer separate closets.

• weedyacres
    15 years ago

I would worry about the sharp turn when you go into the bedroom. Imagine getting a large mattress into the room. What about taking the cabinet in the closet (I'm assuming that's like a dresser or something backed up to the wall with the linen closet on it), rotate it 90 degrees so it's vertical, and placed across the walkway. Then give the rest of the space back to the bedroom so there's 8 feet from the bedroom door to the bathroom wall.

I think the bathroom layout works well.

• houseful
    15 years ago

You have a great space with which to work!! I think the layout is really nice, but there are a couple things that would concern me if it was my bathroom.

1. With a space this size, there is no reason to have the door block the linen closet. I also woulnd't want the toilet so visible or to have the entry to it compete with the main bath entry.

2. There seems to be a lack of vanity space. And, it's nice to for a women to have a place to sit ;>D

3. There is room for a walk-in shower, if you want it. That would be my preference.

I played around some with the assumption that your tub cannot move. Can it? It would be nice to have that as a focal point when you enter.

You really want to keep in mind the view from every angle, including from your bed. Where will your bed be?

I have a few more ideas, but I guess I really need to know what has to stay where. I'm not sure which entry door you are talking about when you say "the challenge is leaving the entry door where it is". Are you talking about the bedroom door or the bathroom door?

Ignore the "deck." It's faster to use that feature than to drag cabinets into the plan. Sorry, too, about the colors. The kids like to help, LOL!

This is the idea I was thinking of when I added that arch. Do you have a style preference?

For design ideas, I like to google "custom homes" or "custom builders". In fact, here is one link to get you started.

Here is a link that might be useful: master baths

• raehelen
    15 years ago

Where are you going to hang your towels/robes?

Did I miss that?

• terezosa / terriks
    15 years ago

I like houseful's plans much better. Especially the door to the WC is much better placed. The way that your architect has it it would be very awkward to open the door and walk in, then close the door behind you. It also gives you a lot more counter space.
    And I prefer to access my closet from the bathroom. I'd rather go from the shower right to my closet without having to go through the bedroom to get there.

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you for the input! We put a stop on the architect finalizing the plans as I like several of the ideas provided here. Houseful, we are going to start with your concept and proceed from here. We prefer to enter the closet from the shower area and are fine with one large closet. We really like the placement of the door to the WC.

Responding to questions: yes, the tub can move. We have complete access underneath the floor as the master bedroom/bath sits directly over the garage. Its the same size (3 car garage.
    The bed faces where the bathroom is. I will try and post a sketch or picture.

The house does not have any arches in it now but...

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

this is the floorplan from the original drawings. There is a small deck off the master bedroom. A patio door and deck were added. Its close to where the other bathroom is. Ignore the wall that look likes it intersects the master bedroom (By the "b") in bedroom. its not there. we are putting in a window per the plans noted above to balance out the look of the front of the house. It looks odd with only one window there now

• houseful
    15 years ago

Here's another idea. This one has double french doors entering the bathroom, but they interfered with viewing the 3D, so it took them off. If you like it, I can post a real floorplan with measurements sometime later today.

Floorplan

From bedroom:

From closet:

Looking at shower from "her" vanity:

• salmon_slayer
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Houseful,

Thank you for the ideas. They help quite a bit. WE really liked the way you changed the WC door on the first and the idea of a walk in shower on the second. We have to keep the windows per the architect concept but can rearrange walls. DW is not sure the view waking into the bathroom should be the tub (personally i would prefer to eliminate it from the plan but she wants one)

• houseful
    15 years ago

If the window has to stay where it is, it makes sense to keep the tub there. I'll try combing both concepts for you tomorrow. Does she want a seat at all?

• jordanaworman
    15 years ago

How do you post pictures directly into the post and not using the URL? Sorry for my off the topic question but I've been wondering for so long.

Great ideas, houseful!

• janna_2008
    15 years ago

W-w-wow! I love your designs, houseful! I need your help with mine, too! I'm going to post my master bath space; please look for it and offer any comments and designs.

Good luck, Salmon! You have great space to work with and great ideas here.