Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gldnfan

Anyone else notice....

gldnfan
14 years ago

that stores are stocking a lot less xmas merchandise?

I've been to my old favorites and there is slim pickings. I guess it is the economy but it is kind of sad and I am rebuilding my collection a bit after our remodel - some Christmas stuff that I was probably getting ready to replace seems to be missing - I may have decided to give it away and forgot - not out of the question given how hectic things were when we moved out.

Our local malls don't have any of the seasonal xmas shops that fill empty spaces each year - even though there are plenty of empty spaces.

My favorite Target has way less - I remember last year finding a lot of cute boxed ornaments for my kids tree - a few shelves worth - now they have only a part of a shelf.

I am saving money anyway ;-)

Comments (19)

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

I was in Walmart today and walked thru the Christmas dept, it was definitely smaller than in years past. They use to have loads of pretty ornaments. I haven't been in other stores but maybe the economy has affected this too.

Happy Holidays,
    Karen

• yachter123
    14 years ago

The stores don't want to be left with alot of merchandise that they will have to deep discount, probably anticipated low sales due to the economy.

Athough, it's hard to believe, I went shopping today, won't go out on a weekend just before xmas, too much traffic & too many people, and the stores I was in, were totally packed & the people hard carts full!

• judithva
    14 years ago

I agree, very slim pickings! Yep, they aren't taking risks with having left overs apparently. My Walmart and Target is already empty of shelves, if people did not buy early this year then they lost out. I hope next year will be better!

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

It has been that way around here now for a few years. It used to be that all of the K-Mart,Target, Walmart, Micheals, Hobby Lobby, Jo-Anns, Lowes, etc. would have 5 rows of stuff, now maybe 1-2. I used to go out every year on the day after Christmas and shop for deals, but theres just nothing left anymore.

• gldnfan
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I figured it was probably a trend.

I could not believe when I went to Target on Dec 7th and they had no more christmas tree lights - none! THey had some of those bush nets and icicles for outside but completely sold out of all but a few stray boxes of 50 ct lights. I live in a large metropolitan area in California. I actually think that they under estimated since running out before the first week in December is pretty early.

I am never ready right after TGing to decorate so this has been a shock. Fortunately I found lights for my tree at Home Depot - but I got one box to few and when I went back they were all out too!

Our local independent hardware stores still have lights but they are expensive - I have seen people buying them a lot more so I figure the big box stores running out is benefitting independents - not a bad thing I suppose.

• lesmis
    14 years ago

I have noticed that even the grocery stores aren't stocking the usual holiday items. I love the Archway wedding cake cookies and think they taste like homemade and are transfat free, but they've been impossible to find in my area. I did finally find some at Giant and bought 2 boxes for our big party, but when I went back to get more they were sold out and said that's all they will be getting. They had one tiny display of them up front and that's it. None of the other local grocery stores have gotten them this year.

I'm a big online shopper and I've noticed that even those retailers don't have much either. I've also noticed that I've gotten a lot more emails this year with offers for discounts that I've never gotten before. It should be interesting to see how merchants handle things next year.

Kat :)

• plainjane425
    14 years ago

I've noticed less decorations for several years now.
    Especially the cards and wrapping paper that you could buy after Christmas for less. Now, there's hardly anything left.
    Also, I find the quality is not the same as what we used to get. Lots of 'cheap' plastic looking stuff. No more hand blown ornaments from Germany or other European countries as before. Now you have to go into a specialty shop for those, and pay through the nose. I used to be able to buy beautiful ornaments like that from 'Woolworths' believe it or not. I miss that place.]

Another thing I found out, that was so disappointing..was Dept 56 and other village collections are slowing starting to become less of an item as they used to be.
    One shop we go into for their half off sale on Dept 56..the woman said many items are being retired and she will not be carring it anymore, because there is not the same interest!
    I can't believe it. Also Lowes used have a nice display...not anymore...Seems like another tradition will be biting the dust, along with Model Trains under the tree!

jane

• Purplemoon
    14 years ago

Maybe Hobby Lobby has the right idea with their Christmas in July displays and sales. LOL. They sure have gorgeous stuff there. Michaels usually has some very nice ornaments too. They put their stuff on sale a lot earlier this year, before Thanksgiving even.
    I find a lot of good things all thru the year at Goodwill, and shopgoodwill.com. Makes the hunt fun.

hugs, Karen

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

I heard on the radio today that all the retailers are pleasantly surprised that their sales for Nov. and so far for Dec. are above what they had expected. Guess the general public is not as scared about the economy as the media would lead us to believe!

The stores did not order as much because they didn't anticipate good sales, and now some hot items will be sold out fast. There seems to be less on the shelves and the prices are higher than past years--personally, I think they should just give us their best price and forget about making us come back for their special sales when the price is reduced--bet they'd sell lots more that way.

I'm in So. Calif. and all the big malls are crowded, but you don't see very many people actually carrying packages! Luvs

• Oakley
    14 years ago

Luvs, you're right. It was on the news the other day that stores didn't stock up like they usually do because of the economy.

gldnfn, we remodeled and added on this year also, and last January I got online and bought a lot of nice things for half price or less. Even my tree! Macys especially has a fantastic sale on really nice ornaments and other Christmas decor. I'll be doing some online shopping come January!

• gardener1908
    14 years ago

I finally got into 'town ' today ( I live in a semi-rural area, after 3 days of being snowed in and went to my usual haunts and basically nothing left. Most of the usual put their stuff out in Oct.and started 50% off in Nov. so I guess from now on you have to really start early. One place I haven't been to in years, Big Lots, had quite a bit of stuff. I did find some really nice things at Micheals but after this weekend I don't think there will bw much left. What will I do on the day after Christmas? maybe give the checkbook a break. LOL

• nhardy
    14 years ago

It's so sad on what was brought in for Christmas. Went to Macy's. It was pitiful. Saks only had Radko & a new store brand of balls & bell ornaments. I always found the ornaments from Poland that I love to collect, they had none. The peg board that Target displays their ornaments were so spreadout to show fewer ornaments. Last year it was two peg boards of ornaments. No one wants to get stuck with christmas merchandise for a lose. It will be years before the buyers will be able to buy any great volume of Christmas merchandise, many years! I guess I'll look forward to Old World Christmas in the spring, Hobby Lobby in the summer & Nieman Marcus, Bronners in the fall.

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

A lot of stuff comes from China today and it's not about quality anymore....just about how much of a profit can they make. I know they have to make momey to stay in business but I would be willing to pay more for quality xmas decorations!

• Penelope
    14 years ago

I'm seeing somewhat less in the drugstores, but I was at a big Target today and they had loads of Christmas stuff, much of it quite pretty. Of course it's not marked down much yet. There was a large white Christmas tree on display with a multi-colored ball ornament garland that was really striking.

• Oakley
    14 years ago

lovesummer, I looked at Target online for the garland you mentioned, it's in the link below. Is this the one you saw? I wish I had seen it earlier before they were sold out since my tree is white! I'll be looking for one elsewhere for next year.

Now this was pitiful. Yesterday my dh and I went to the mall to buy little things and look at their Christmas decorations which are always spectacular. I do most of my shopping online, but I wanted to get out and see the decorations.

This is THE nicest mall in the City, and it was like any day of the year. No big decorations, no Christmas music playing..very disappointed. And we walked the whole thing!

But we had fun though. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Garland

• dawnp
    14 years ago

I absolutely noticed that there was much less Christmas merchandise this year - especially Walmart. We put up our tree on Dec 7th and because it was larger than usual, I went to get more white lights. Well, I went to Home Depot, 2 Walmarts, Costco, Walgreens and CVS witb no success. I finally found some at our local hardware store. I couldn't believe how hard it was to get a basic item. A few days later, I went to Target -they had lots of inventory and great decorations. I don't think they had white lights though!

• Richard Dollard
    14 years ago

Even the selction of xmas cards at the Hallmark store was pretty bad. I stood there looking for 15-20 minutes and finally walked out empty handed!!!!

• luvstocraft
    14 years ago

You know, part of my problem was that the weather stayed hot so long this year that I didn't feel much like putting out the fall decorations, let alone shopping early for Christmas pretties. I'll have to remember this next year and make myself start looking earlier--like Sept. and Oct. even. Luvs

• Penelope
    14 years ago

Sorry for the late response, Oakleyok. No, that's not the garland I saw, it was multi-colored balls, probably 2" diameter, all stuck together into a thick garland. It was really quite striking on a white tree.

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH
More Discussions