Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
especiallyyou

help with finishes guest/kids bath

especiallyyou
12 years ago

i am renovating a guest/kids bath. the bathroom serves 3 bedrooms, but there are only 2 of us so it's rarely used. we have only adult guests, but for resale (anticipate 10 years) i want to have durable finishes, but still have it elegant enough for our adult guests.

the link below shows our style. i call it modern craftsman. i apologize for the photo quality. kitchen has shaker style cherry, absolute black honed counters with carrara mosaic backsplash and carrara island. however, we do have a more modern powder room.

our master is crema marfil with a separate tub/shower which are contiguous. i chose it because i was unable to choose tile that complimented the slab, so i made it all the same. i love it, but don't want marble in new bath because it'll be subject to potentially harder and less careful use.

new bathroom will have same layout as our master, but i need more durable finishes. was thinking white subway tile, but the large window is north-facing, so all the whites end up looking like dingy grey. i have read that north-facing rooms need saturated but medium toned colors; whites will wash out and look grey.

i am not a fan of faux-marble/stone finishes, but do like the easy-care aspect of porcelain and ceramic tile. i'm not convinced about the quartz-blends since i have no other "fake" surfaces in my house.i was thinking of soapstone, but maybe it's too rustic?

i am trying to save money by eliminating a slab over the tub, but don't know that i like the look or an overmount tub, and if i tiled the tub deck, then what surface would i choose for the vanity?

so far, the sample that looks best in the light in that room is state crema, from porcelanosa (crema marfil look-alike.) it's warm, and shiny enough to reflect the light. however, i don't want to seem to be doing a cheap copy of my master.

any suggestions would be welcome.

here's the link to my photos:

http://gallery.me.com/lquerimit#100645

Comments (3)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    12 years ago

You know, I really don't think I'd care to spend my life with finishes I chose based solely on the thought that if I sell my house in ten years, the buyers might possibly have children and so they could conceivably want more durable finishes in a kids' bath. Do the bath for you, now.

• alku05
    12 years ago

I agree with writersblock that you should do the bathroom how you like it for your use. However, I don't think that putting a crema marfil slab in a bathroom used only by guests (who may not know what NOT to do to it) is a great idea.

Have you considered using a freestanding tub in the guest bath? It could open up the space and eliminate the need to coordinate tile/slab with the shower, which may give you more freedom in choosing shower tile. You could go more traditional clawfoot, or more transitional in style.

PS I

• especiallyyou
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks all. i'm already not worrying about future kids, since the vanity will be "adult" height and the next inhabitants can worry about that. i do, however, worry about guests (including kids) who don't know how to treat natural stone and may have nasty cosmetics, etc, that could leave permanent damage.

just went to a stone place and fell in love with soapstone. even though the room is dark, am thinking with white subways in the shower it will be bright enough. since the subways are relatively inexpensive, maybe i can splurge on the stone.

thanks alku05 re the freestanding tub idea, but i really don't like cleaning around it....and elderly parents who visit will probably appreciate a tub deck to sit on, stack their towel on, etc before they bathe.

next question. architect specified a built-in bench next to the vanity w/drawers beneath.should i do it or omit it?

i added my former laundry room to this previously tiny bathroom (laundry now moving to a large hall closet which i am "losing"). am also losing a larger linen closet to create an alcove in the hallway to let in more light. i will have a SMALL linen closet in the bathroom.

should i have an open vanity with legs (more floor showing, more open feel., less storage?, should i do the built-in bench?

sometimes i miss having some open floor space in a room. reasons to have it: more storage. reasons not: could put a separate bench, settee, plant, coat rack, etc. once i build the bench, all the floor space is taken up.....