Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mariposatraicionera

Niche in the shower: How many did you use?

How many did you use in your shower? Is it over kill to put in two that measure 21" H x 12" W? We have a regular sized tub and the kids share this bathroom. They tend to have lots of different bottles of shampoo, conditioners, body wash etc. and I figured maybe one niche for my son and another for my daughter might keep the chaos in check!

They need two different shampoos and body wash because one has allergies (to lots of things) while the other doesn't.

Comments (18)

• MongoCT
    16 years ago

That's not overkill.

I usually try to build a single large niche with two shelves.

If using preformed, then using two single niches, especially when the niches may be territorial, is a fine idea.

Mongo

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Mongo.

Anyone have pics of two niches in the bathtub area?

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

We put two niches into our kids' bathrooms. With two girls that are entering their teenage years we thought there'll be less fighting when each has their own niche. The size and location was pretty much determined by the location of the studs in our case.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

What size niche did you use Beatrix?

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

We have quite a few studs running in that bathroom (the former cast iron tub needed the extra support) so in order to keep the procedure easy we put them right into the squares the studs left available. they are 11" w x 12" h

• megansgram
    16 years ago

Here is a photo of our two niches, not as large as you are considering, but the shower is in the master bath (no kids allowed). We also were limited by the wall studs.

The smaller one (5x5) holds a soap dish, the larger 12.5 x 9.5 holds three bottles and a squeegee. I bought three matching dispenser bottles and refill them with our prefered products.

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Megan, thanks for the pic. I like your idea of filling the dispenser bottles. Your bathroom is lovely :-). Did you use the same tile on the floor?

• mimi1967
    16 years ago

I used two niches, 12 x 12 each They are placed one over the over separated by about 3 or 4 inches. They look good. Haven't used them yet cause we're not through with the project. Sorry I don't have pics.

Question for megansgram. Where did you find the dispenser bottles? I am looking for the same thing and haven't found anything attractive. Glad to know I'm not the only one who wants to do this. DH thinks I'm wacky!!

• chriskelly13
    16 years ago

Folks, you gotta love Mongo: "territorial nitches."

That's what we are about to do....one large Proform for each of us in the walk in shower, plus a small soap niche because my old- fashioned husband prefers those little rectangles called soap (not liquids.) We also will have one large niche in the bathtub area.

• sid_79
    16 years ago

I put two niches in my tub/shower:

The smaller one holds a bar of soap and my wife's razor

Instead of the smaller one sometimes I wish I had put a second large niche one tile width below the first large niche or doubled the size of the large niche and put a shelf in it, but we can fit most of our shower supplies in these two niches

• sharrongrant58
    16 years ago

We put 2 niches in the shower - one on the end opposite the showerhead, and one on the back wall. This works out well as one is near the corner seat, and one is convenient when standing under the fixed showerhead.
    {{gwi:1468115}}

• MariposaTraicionera
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sharron, I like the setup you used. Thanks everyone.

• igloochic
    16 years ago

I put two in that are 24 high by 12 wide. I'm having two shelfs put into each (one four inches up, the other splitting the middle of the balance of the space). The four inch cubby is for razors and soap, the balance is for my "stuff" and I suppose I'll let DH have a shelf :oP Maybe two...I did take a vanity twice the size of his....

ANyhoo, no pics yet because it's not tiled. Hopefully that starts tomorrow.

We were not limited to a size because it's a new wall on each side of the shower, but ended up going with the tile size so I'd have one whole width inside the box verses a larger piece with a seam. They didn't tuck well into the stud locations so we just built a different stud configuration around them.

• budge1
    16 years ago

I wholeheartedly agree with tom. We have one niche with 3 levels and is filling up rapidly. I have two girls who will one day be teenagers and will likely have more hair products than I can count so we went as big as we could.

• organic_donna
    16 years ago

My question is, if you have limestone in the shower and you put your soap and shampoo bottles in the niche won't that leave a ring? I am getting a chrome soap dish and bottle holder for that reason.
    Donna

• kdockrey
    16 years ago

I used crema europa limestone for most of my shower and used a 4" border of granite (antique labrador) around the ceiling, and another 8" band of the granite around the base of the wall, and a pair of 3/4" bands of the granite 6ft up the wall.

Due to the porosity of the limestone, I chose to use labrador antique on base and back of the two niches in the shower.

Also, I used a slab of the labrador antique on the 5 ft bench in the shower.

If you choose to use the limestone for your niche, you may want to investigate how sealants my help prevent staining.

Due to my concern about staining the limestone, I used the same granite for my water closet floor and main bathroom floor as well as on the vanity's counter top and part of the backsplash.

Kelley

• sanborn5
    16 years ago

Has anyone used the glass shelf that the shower door people sell after the fact? We did not put any niches in because part of the shower extends over the whirlpool which ends up giving a 15x48 seat area which we thought we would use for all the STUFF!!! Has anyone else just used this seat area? I have a over-sized fiberglass shower unit now with the seat and that is where all our STUFF is now except for the shelf with the soap. I don't think I have ever used the seat to actually SIT on. I guess my thought on the soap was to maybe put it in a soap dish, (for DH) I use the liquid body wash.