Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
deluded_gw

Would love a suggestion on what do about closet doors

deluded
16 years ago

We are almost done with a beautiful bathroom remodel -- thanks in large part to the guidance of this group! Have a fabulous carpenter, plumber, electrician, and tiler. As part of the remodel, we allowed space for a closet that goes under a sloped ceiling. It really is a nice, generous space, but it is posing problems from a door perspective. We'd like to put a door on the closet (rather than keep it open), but the door opening size is 34x69 (could fit a 32x68 door with trim), and we can't seem to find the right door for this opening. (see attached picture)

We would be open to bifolds, shutters, panel doors, french doors, what have you, but we don't want to spend (an additional) fortune. We would be happy to stain it to match or paint trim color.

{{gwi:1471255}}
{{gwi:1471259}}
Any suggestions on what to do here?

Thanks.... again!

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:1471255}}

Comments (12)

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

love your tub area :) What a nice clean soft look and I like the placement of our recessed lights :) I hate giving advice in situations like this. I always second guess myself since I'm not an expert :) We have bifolds and french opening closets. I think the bifold will limit your access into the closet (or at the least be more "cramped") because of the thickness of the doors once their open. We have almost this exact same setup (minus the slope). We've just installed french doors in another closet that used to be bi-fold. I find the access easier...less cramped.
    Monica

• johnmari
    16 years ago

On our master bathroom we installed a bifold door with conventional door hinges instead of the usual bifold mechanism. The door can swing back flat on the wall, and with the folding door it does not need all the swing room that a regular door needs. It looks very nice, too. I stole the idea from KGWLisa, who did it to one of her closets and I thought it was just brilliant.

• deluded
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the bathroom compliments! Yes, I love the tub nook as well - that darned sloped ceiling pretty much begged this layout.

Johnmari - where could we get those bifolds that would fit the 34x69 opening?

• spudderbud
    16 years ago

deluded - could you please show the other 3 sides of your bathroom? I love your choice of wall & floor tiles, what brand are they? I also think your tub area is very nice looking.

You could do a single open door if you have the room, but I do really like the idea of french door also. I guess it depends on how much space you have. Please post more pictures!

• johnmari
    16 years ago

I ordered my custom-width oak bifold unit from Home Depot (a 30" was cut down to fit my 28" doorway, it was only 1/2" from each side of each panel so it wasn't even noticeable, so they could cut down a 36" to fit a 34" width), but they may not be able to do one that short and the paneled or louvered style isn't really conducive to cutting it down in height, just the slab if you chose one of the solid core styles. Slabs can be decorated with moldings to make them less blah. There are several manufacturers of custom bifolds on the web - Google "custom bifold doors". Sturdy wooden shutters could be used the same way if hinged together, and come in many different styles. I have never ordered anything from there but I think the offerings from Kestrel are particularly attractive. I also found a fairly inexpensive source of custom-sized wood shutters, Architectural Depot. I would not use a fully louvered door, I would use one of the dressier paneled style or at most the part-paneled-part-louvered style. Kestrel also has a tongue-and-groove option that would echo your beadboard quite charmingly. You can also have a local carpenter make you up a set exactly to your specifications.

While French doors could be cute, I wouldn't envy trying to find a set to fit that doorway, and that extent of customization would be pretty pricey. The best way I can really think of to do it is to try to go through a cabinet door company. French-style large cabinet doors via architectural salvage might be available but they tend to be viciously expensive!

• pinktoes
    16 years ago

If I'm seeing it correctly you're not going to have room on the left side for a door/bifold to open out of the way. Which side are you putting the hinge on? I just assumed left.

Since you're doing something customized, and since that slope will limit your upper storage, have you considered doing a framed cabinet opening instead? configure the doors as you please, like a slide-in cabinet.

• spudderbud
    16 years ago

I have this built in unit saved in my pics. Could you have a custom carpenter build a variation of this for you? You could have the bottom shelves removable for access to the plumbing for the tub.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• magothyrivergirl
    16 years ago

deluded- we had almost the same problem - sloped ceiling- little closet - we ran our tub the other way- same small amt between opening of doorway & tub - rough opening 34 x 60. Our solution was building to a rough opening of 32 and installing a pocket door - too late for that here. We used a 6 panel hollow core door from HD - cut off the top & bottom - (maintaining the horizonal center of the door ) this removed the top 2 small panels. Used scrap wood glued inside the bottom top & bottom to remake the solid edges. Painted the door same as trim - looks wonderful. We have also cut the sides of these hollow core doors to fit the crazy narrow openings in this house to replace the bifolds that were used. You can order narrow width hollow core doors - slab only - we have had to do that in 4 places. In one area we installed french opening out into a hallway for full access to a stairway w/ a sloped ceiling. They are ea 14 1/4 " wide for a 30" opening. They work & look great. Used pretty cabinet knobs instead of door knobs. That is the setup I would recommend for you. This will be easy for your carpenter - and not expensive. Hope this helps - your bathroom looks pretty. You will love that closet in your bathroom! My DH claimed ours for his causal clothes.

• jade.d
    16 years ago

I suggest talking to whoever is doing the vanity cabinetry and see if they can make a matching "pantry height" door for your closet.

• deluded
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Excellent suggestions! I've attached below more pictures of our bathroom for folks who wanted to see other views:

{{gwi:1471261}}
    {{gwi:1471263}}

• deluded
    Original Author
    16 years ago

BTW, the flooring is Carrera Marble 2" Hex ordered from Expo, the Wile Tiles are 4.25" square Queuemere Tile In Dk Ocean Breeze (#1007) from Chesapeake Tile. The Shower pan and bench tile are Oceanside Glass Sandstone Iridescent. Beadboard is actually a vinyl beadboard primed and painted to match the trim.

Sink is Pottery Barn's Classic Double Sink Console. Bath is a Bain Ultra Amma 7242.

Enjoy!
    Ron

• kileyray
    16 years ago

deluded - i absolutely love the wood and tile mix on your tub. i wish i would have seen this post earlier as this is what i wanted in my en suite but was worried about the transition from tile to wood. my builder convinced me to do tile right down to the floor. is there any chance you could take a close up of where the tile and wood meet? how did you seal it? thanks!