Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
decorcrzy_gw

Garland done...no more tweaking (maybe)

decorcrzy
11 years ago

Ok, sorry I haven't posted any pics yet, however, I keep waiting for a sunny day with natural light. Here in Wisconsin we have had super cloudy days for over a week and a winter storm watch tonight so I thought I couldn't wait any longer.
I am a terminal tweaker but, I think the garland is done, for now. lol

We'll start with the front door.

I found these fiberoptic gift boxes at Frontgate, after patiently waiting for the price to drop way down after christmas years ago, I grabbed them to flank the front doorway.

I placed the three in front of the garland light wires and to hide the outlets. I should have gotten a larger one for in front of the heat vent:)

the railing leading to the second floor. The giant deer in the sky is attached to the ceiling fan over the great room and also ties in with the deer on the garland.

a closeup of the railing garland. I call it elegant, my son says "oh you mean gaudy".

At the foot of the stairway. I got the gold bells from Frontgate(after stalking their website after Christmas for the price to drop)

This is a pic given to me by a good friend. Always seems to make me giggle.

Merry Christmas everybody, hopefully the sun will come out soon, so I can get some pics of the Christmas trees.

Comments (8)

• livvyandbella
    11 years ago

JUST GORGEOUS!! lOVELY JOB!!

• christmascandy
    11 years ago

Stunning!
    I love the large ornie in the front window, but then I love the large presents, and the gorgeous garland too.

I'd call it elegant and appreciate your decorator's eye in coordinating the reindeer. Your son just doesn't understand/appreciate "decorating." LOL MEN!!!!

The wise women sign is a chuckle. (Although the real gifts were practical for the recipient!)

I've never heard of Frontgate, but if they have a website, it appears I had better be checking it out, LOL.

It's all quite lovely, and one of the reasons I like to post on this forum, as the members here are so friendly and appreciative of one another's efforts, which we rarely seem to get at home! Most men are so clueless!

Notice I said "most", so for those men out there who do appreciate it, no offense intended.

Merry Christmas everyone,
    Candy

• jeannespines
    11 years ago

Beautiful! I love the giant hanging ornaments @the front door & the reindeer inside! & those cute fiberoptic pkgs! Your 'tweakin' has pd off...everything is gorgeous! A Christmas Wonderland! TFS! Jeanne S.

• party_music50
    11 years ago

WOW! Beautiful!!! I expected "garland". lol!

Did you apply individual ornaments to wired garland? did some garland come pre-decorated??? I do see hooks on some of the ornaments in the close-up photo. I wanted to do something like this but was trying to figure out the best way to deal with so many ornaments... yours is all just gorgeous!

I LOVE LOVE LOVE those fiber optic presents!!! Have never seen anything like those. The tall bells are AWESOME too! Man, I've got to get out more. lol!

All beautiful. Wish I could be there in person to see it!

• Marlene Kindred
    11 years ago

What a beautiful job!! Love the "gaudy" garland, the big reindeer, the large ornament over your front door and the gift boxes as well! Fabulous job!

And I really like the print your friend gave you!

Thanks for sharing your home with us~

• decorcrzy
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful comments, I feel so less gaudy and so more pretty.

Party--I start out with just plain old non-decorated, non-lit garland. First job is to attach the garland to the stairs, then I string the lights into the garland, then comes the ribbon.(I luv to use a solid ribbon and layer a shear ribbon on top of the solid, I think it adds some depth and texture) That is usually the first afternoon.

The next day I add the picks and then the ornaments. Your right I just hang them on the garland just like decorating a tree.

But, now that you have mentioned the word "wire", what a fantastic idea. I couldn't just permanently attach the ornaments(I have to be able to remove them for storage) but, I could cut floral wire in approx. 2 1/2 inch pieces and bend them into ornament hooks. They would be so less conspicuous than the shiny silver or gold hooks.(I have seen them in green but their shade is a little off). It wouldn't be that difficult to do. Now I can't wait till next year, I can't believe that I never thought of that before. Thanks Party!

As my son would say 'you have enabled me to take my decorating insanity to a new level'.lol

• nana2010_gw
    11 years ago

deco, Thanks for sharing your wonderful decorations with us.
    I don't have a railing but I really enjoy seeing what others do.
    The poem is a hoot... so true.
    I love the fiber optic gifts too.

You can ask anyone here we are the BEST enablers you will ever find!!!!
    Yep you came to the right place.lol
    Nana

• party_music50
    11 years ago

decorcrzy, thank you for explaining how you decorated your garland! It seems to me that you could attach the ornaments permanently as long as they were unbreakable plastic. I don't think I'd want them permanent though -- it eliminates too many options. :)

Sponsored
More Discussions