Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janet400_gw

Installation price per square foot

janet400
15 years ago

We got an estimate today on installation of 300 square feet of tumbled marble. It is $1500. more than our last estimate and I think they both are high. We have done the demoliton and the tiler will install the backerboard (or whatever it's called) It is for a shower, floor, and tub suround. Could you guys give me a range of installation costs per square foot so I can judge this job. We live on Cape Cod where everything is more expensive, but I will take that into consideration. Thanks for the help, Janet

Comments (10)

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Janet, that still doesn't tell me much. Is it just the tubdeck, or is there a splash? What about the tub skirt, and if the skirt is getting done, is there an access panel needed thru the tile? How big is the tumbled stone, and what's the pattern? straight? Diagonal? Staggered? Some combination? Is there a listello involved? In the shower, is there a bench? What about a niche? Is this going to be a "Kerdi" shower, or just a normal conventional shower? Is the installer furnishing the cement board, or just the labor to install it? Answer those, and I'll give you a ball park figure. I'm in Maine, and I'm well aware of the costs involved out in Cape. It ain't cheap!!

• janet400
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bill, it is the tub deck (6x6 tiles) and a splash of one row of the same tile. The skirt is getting done and there will be two access panels. There are also three squares (16x16")of decorative (jelly bean tiles) tiles 'on the front of the tub. The tumbled marble is 12x12 on the floor and about 6' up the shower walls, and on the tub skirt. The shower has subway tiles above the 12x12's, and 6x6's on the ceiling. There are also 6x6's on the tub deck. The shower measures 3x4'. The pattern is straight, but offset everywhere. No listello. There is a bench and one niche in the shower. No kerdi (can't find anyone)so it will have a vinyl or copper pan (supplied by the plumber). Yes, the tiler is furnishing and installing the board for the shower and the tub surround. Thanks Bill for your help. You two guys are unbelievalbe. Super job and the information will really help me to make a decison. Well, if you are in ME, wouldn't you like to come to the Cape? We have plenty of spare bedrooms. Janet

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Let me put together a rough estimate, and then we'll see.

One thing-- DO NOT do the copper pan. That pan membrane MUST be sloped, and there's no way to slope the copper. The northeast seems to be the last bastion for copper and lead pans. One last question-- How big is the shower floor?

• janet400
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Bill, it is 3x4'. Looking forward to your answer. Thanks, Janet

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I paid $10 sq ft janet...so I'm considering moving to your location and building my next shower at those prices :)

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

janet-- I come up with 4745.00. Add another 270.00 for Kerdi, including materials and labor (based on 8' high walls in your shower). The only thing that would be additional with the Kerdi is for your plumber to install the Kerdi drain.

• janet400
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you so much, Bill. This really gives me food for thought. I'm not sure what we will do now. I have another tiler coming next week so I guess I will wait to see what he says. Are you sure you don't want to come down to the Cape? It would be so nice to have someone we can trust with a fair price. It might be less expensive if we moved our home to ME. Was this a Cape Cod quote or a Me quote? Janet

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

Are you sure you don't want to come down to the Cape?

I didn't say I wouldn't. I said lets put a price together, before you make that decision. Shoot me an email, and I'll give you a phone number where I can be reached, and we'll take it from there.

• PRO
    Avanti Tile & Stone / Stonetech
    15 years ago

Bill~ You let the plumber put in the Kerdi drain? My experience is that most plumbers don't have a clue about a Kerdi drain.......That would scare me.

• bill_vincent
    15 years ago

There's no difference mounting a Kerdi drain and any other PVC drain. The problem is that anywhere I'VE worked, anyway, it's code that the plumber install it. I don't have a problem with it.