Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dasharp1

What is 'island trim'??

dasharp1
16 years ago

Is it necessary to order the island trim kit for my 36" Wolf AG range? Salesperson says, "Yes, you either have to put the island trim on it, or one of the backguards. If you have a noncombustible material behind it, such as tile on the wall, then you donÂt have to get a back guard, you can just use the island trim to make it fit in right."

Seems like if you use it to "make it fit in right", it would be standard, not optional. What exactly IS it? Thanks for any help!!

Comments (8)

• weissman
    16 years ago

Island trim is a little piece of metal across the top back of the range. On my DCS range, the oven vents out of the island trim. It comes standard with the range. I'm not sure about the Wolf - perhaps one of the Wolf owners will answer you more specifically.

• alku05
    16 years ago

I don't have a Wolf, but I do have a nice picture of my rangetop's island trim:

See that little slightly raised metal piece that is against the wall? That's the island trim. Pretty much all of these pro ranges and rangetops have options for how tall you want that piece in the back to be. It can be very short (called the island trim) or up to 21" tall. However, you MUST pick one of them, b/c that's the piece that closes up the back of your range and allows the oven to vent.

• heimert
    16 years ago

alku05-- that is a beautiful backsplash!

I guess they could price in the cheapest trim and then have upgrades (e.g., the 21"), but it makes some sense to tell people you need one of them, here are the prices for the various options.

• keitel
    16 years ago

I think Wolf island trim is something like $235 for a 30" range. Usually, (at least in my shopping experience) the store will include one of the trims in the price. Or at least, they should. I was shocked at how light and insubstantial a thing it actually is for that kind of money. I got it because I have a tile backsplash and I think it looks better than a riser.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

We paid $195 (?) for our 36" AG Wolf's island trim. We didn't want to cover up too much of our backsplash tile, and we tiled 6" below the top of the range as a added precaution (I think BS requires this, and we wanted to leave that option open since we hadn't made a new range decision when the tile guy was here). If the material behind/above your range is NOT combustible, you can use the island trim with your Wolf if you prefer the lower profile look, or you can go up as high as is available.

• zoenipp
    16 years ago

My 36" Wolf AG's island trim was included in the price of my range ($4769.00) as quoted to me last summer. I just had to specify which trim I preferred. I think the taller one would have had an upcharge. The range was not actually installed until February but they honored the quote despite a January price increase.

• cat_mom
    16 years ago

Hey zoenipp! We paid $4760 for the range, but the island trim was the $195 extra. Lucky you!!!

• dasharp1
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks everyone, I appreciate the explanations. It makes more sense now. BTW Zoenipp, my quote from K&B Galleries in Raleigh is $5129 (no discount of course!) for the range and $139 for the Island trim. Nice that you got yours before the price increase!