Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
a1an

Advice : Keep on Hemming and Hawing on Tiles

a1an
10 years ago

So I'm 95% there on what I want as far as fixtures, toilets, etc....
Even what towel bars I am using, etc. The special ordered baseboard was ordered and delivered after 2 months as well !

However, I've been hemming and hawing at tile selection, which is holding back the GUT and start of this project. I feel like I have not seen *everything* that I should be looking at - to decide - and have the what if/ well if/ there's a better one if Syndrome.

In a slump...

Advice. Inspiration.

Comments (4)

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Not sure about the other things you've chosen but I have heard elsewhere and believe it to be true from my own experience that you should minimize the number of focal points. So if you have fixtures, etc. that have a big "wow factor", I suggest that you may want to keep the tiles subtle and nondescript. I am definitely not a designer but have been very pleased with our bathroom remodel. Because of my lack of experience, whenever I got stuck with a decision, I chose the simplest idea among numerous options whenever possible. This fit in with our modern decor. If your bath will be more traditional, may not work for you but thought I'd make the suggestion. There are numerous "wow factor" items I passed up but I am sooo glad now. Bathrooms should be peaceful and serene. IMO

This post was edited by elphaba on Wed, Sep 18, 13 at 11:04

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

"However, I've been hemming and hawing at tile selection...I feel like I have not seen *everything* that I should be looking at - to decide - and have the what if/ well if/ there's a better one if Syndrome."

Think of it this way:

No matter what tile you select, the day after it's installed you're going to see something you like better.

But reality is that what looks better online doesn't always always look better in your own bathroom. Sometimes it's not the new-found tile that you love. It's the overall vibe of the new-found bathroom.

It sounds like you've defined your style.

You have a lot of the cornerstone materials already bought and on hand.

Tile can have texture. Earthy, slick, etc.
    Tile can have color.
    Tile can have shape. The shapes can be large or small.
    Those shapes can be set in a pattern. Small and busy. Large and slab-like.

There are tried and true combinations.

There are fad combinations, design trends, the "latest greatest current thing." Realize that the design industry needs a "current thing" every few years. It preys on the insecurity of people who just have to have what's in the magazines.

If you're attracted to, but can't commit to the latest trend, that may be your gut telling you that you are a traditionalist. That you actually prefer a timeless design.

If you can't commit to an ageless design like a basketweave mosaic floor and subways on the wall, you might be more modern than you think.

Try to see why you're fighting yourself.

If you've actually found your style but just can't pull the trigger? It's time to pull the trigger, move forward, and stop looking. There is a staggering amount of tile out there these days, and it can most definitely lead to analysis paralysis.

I see it all...the...time.

When people have trouble choosing, a lot of times it's not because they can't find what they want, it's usually that they are afraid of committing to the wrong thing. And the thing they are afraid of is either the color they have chosen, or that the design is the latest trend.

If it's color, I usually recommend they go with a neutral-ish colored tile, not a strongly colored tile that would define the room. It can have some color, but not a strong heavily pigmented color so to speak.

Then let your color come from towels, throw rugs, knick-knacks, window treatments, etc. Those things can be changed as your mood changes or as the seasons change.

If it's the trend, something like large format tile, large format in a stacked pattern is one thing that makes some folk uncomfortable. They love the tile, but they feel awkward when they see the mock up. But they want it, because it's sort of "in". But they don't like it. Reset the large format pattern in a stacked pattern into a running bond and now they feel comfortable. They have the new style of large format, but a more traditional running bond pattern. Things like that, small tweaks, can help settle a design. And a gut.

And once you pick something...stop looking! lol

A lot of babbling on my part, but good luck.

• lotteryticket
    10 years ago

Glad to see I'm not the only one overwhelmed by the choices. I can even get that way in the grocery store. (seriously, the shampoo aisle makes me dizzy). But the best piece of advice is "once you pick something...stop looking!"

Good advice, as always, Mongo!

• jackfre
    10 years ago

We are in the middle of re-model of both baths, laundry and kitchen...while we live in the home. Anyway, on our last house we used Porcelanosa tile. 12x36" tiles, 1/16" grout lines and it was just fantastic. Looked and functioned well enough that we are using itin both the new showers.. Ours are the "Glas Blanco" color. Our tile goes in the beginning of Oct.