Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lee676

30'' Induction Cooktop in colors other than black?

lee676
13 years ago

I'm looking for an 30" induction cooktop that will be fitted into a beige granite countertop. Most of the appliances and fittings are stainless steel. A white cooktop wouldn't look right, bisque seems to have fallen out of fashion and I can't find anything but radiant in this color, and the wide plethora of colors that refrigerators, ovens, and washing machines are now available in don't seem to have made the transition to cooktops.

I know of the stainless-steel (silvery) cooktops from GE Monogram and Thermador; the former is claimed to reflect the colors of nearby cabinetry and countertop colors and seems to in their online photos (haven't seen one IRL). Is there anything else that isn't black or white? Has anyone seen the mirror-surface GE or Thermador (or others) and liked them? Thx.

Comments (15)

• chac_mool
    13 years ago

FWIW, I saw a silvery GE Monogram induction cooktop (in a store), and didn't like it. But then I like the black ones just fine.

There may be alternatives, but I don't recall seeing any.

• lilyinmtl
    13 years ago

I have the 30-inch silver mirror Thermador and I love it. I preferred it to the GE.

• athomesewing
    13 years ago

Kenmore has a white model.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    13 years ago

>Actually, IKEA might have a white one.

It looks like it in the photo that everyone has posted, but actually that's the revised version of their radiant cooktop, alas. Their induction is black-only, in the US.

• mls99
    13 years ago

I have the GE Monogram silver one, and love it. I preferred the burner layout on the GE. I have white countertops.

• sandbox5
    13 years ago

I saw both the GE and Thermador and didn't really like either one. The silver Thermador is more of a mirror finish and you can almost see through it to the guts. The GE is more gold in color and I liked it ok but decided to go with the black Thermador. It's not really black, black because it has a pattern on the top.Better for fingerprints. Check it out..it is still dark though...don't get me wrong but not jet black like the Miele or some of the others.

Robin

• lee676
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I finally saw the mirror-y GE and Thermador today. I was expecting a slightly reflective surface like that typical of stainless steel, but the GE really is almost like a mirror - little reflective dots that clearly reflect whatever is on your backsplash and the underside of your cabinets and range hood. The latter two aren't all that attractive in the kitchen I was looking to install it in. I didn't think it looked as good IRL as in GE's online photos. The Thermador was somewhat less mirror-like, but less attractive and had unintuitive controls. It was last year's model though and the new one may be different. White wouldn't work at all in this application (beige countertop, light wood cabinets). Bisque would work but it's obviously considered declasee for any higher-end appliance, and getting hard to find on even the cheaper stuff nowadays. Maybe we'll stick with black, or reuse the old halogen/radiant cooktop.

• sandbox5
    13 years ago

Hi Lee,

This struck me as funny because I went with the Thermador because I felt it was the MOST intuitive control panel I saw. I like the fact you can dial in by degree across the bottom and skip up to a number rather than scrolling through all the choices. I liked the program feature and timers on each burner.
    I chose the Therm with the stainless rim because I didn't want anything to spill and run underneath it. It does have a dotted finish on it that keeps it from looking black, black but I liked the idea of hiding smudges and prints.
    Good luck with your decision. It goes to show that everybody has different needs and preferences.
    Like in clothing, black goes with everything!!

Good luck.
    Robin

• allblack
    13 years ago

IÂve been unable to find installed pictures of these silvery mirrored induction cooktops posted online. Our local showrooms typically don't have them in stock or on display. Any owners feel like posting a pic?

• contemporganic
    13 years ago

I was just in the store yesterday looking at both the Therm and the Monogram cooktops in their silvery finishes. So focused on turning them on, playing with the controls, etc. that I did not take any photos. Will do next time.

My non-professional descriptions:

Thermador seemed to have more of a silvery pixelated (is that a word?) finish with sort of see-through burners. The cooktop surface and the burner surface look slightly different from each other that way.

Monogram's finish is more like a mirror, which definitely reflects part of your backsplash. Seems you would have to think about whether you want to "see" some of your backsplash on your cooktop/counter. Looked cool in the store layout based on their backsplash.

HTH,

CO

• lee676
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Robyn, maybe once you learn how it works it becomes easy to use - I see your point about just being able to touch the number you want. Me, I wouldn't mind good ol' fashioned knobs.

allblack, here are some pix of the GE/Monogram induction cooktop i saw at the appliance store:

{{gwi:1458539}}

{{gwi:1458541}}

• sandbox5
    13 years ago

I see what you mean about the backsplash.
    I'd take knobs, too but I am hopeful cleaning will be a breeze now!!

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

OK, now I'm researching a 36" induction cooktop. I am using vermont danby marble which is white with some caramel and darker in it. I'm wondering if the Thermador or GE with silver finishes may work. I thought maybe if the GE was slightly gold in might work better than black... DO ANY OF YOU HAVE OTHER PICS OF THESE TWO COOKTOPS?

Also, I see there is a frame around the GE. I think some of the induction tops are totally flat (Miele?) where things could run off the side?

The Danby is the bottom 3 samples. The top is Corian which matches in color but less of a white background than the marble.

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

OK, now I'm researching a 36" induction cooktop. I am using vermont danby marble which is white with some caramel and darker in it. I'm wondering if the Thermador or GE with silver finishes may work. I thought maybe if the GE was slightly gold in might work better than black... DO ANY OF YOU HAVE OTHER PICS OF THESE TWO COOKTOPS?

Also, I see there is a frame around the GE. I think some of the induction tops are totally flat (Miele?) where things could run off the side?

The Danby is the bottom 3 samples. The top is Corian which matches in color but less of a white background than the marble.