Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Powder Room Layout

numbersjunkie
9 years ago

Planning to redo our powder room and replace the toilet with a wall mounted one. The new toilet will extend only 21 inches from the wall! DH will be doing the work with oversight from a family member who is a plumber.

We currently have a back wall that is 62 inches, where the toilet and pedestal sink sit side by side. I have been frustrated by vanity options for such a small space, and came across the article linked below that has me thinking it would be a good idea to move the toilet to the side wall. Our layout is just as pictured in the article except the wall with the sink/toilet is 5-2.

Just wondering what everyone thinks of the suggested layout - do you have it, and if so, do you like it? DH has checked the plumbing from below and says the toilet can be moved to the side wall if thats what I decide.

Here is a link that might be useful: Modern Toilet Room

Comments (9)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

My question is, why do you need a vanity in a powder room? I think its fine to move the toilet if its doable (plumbing-wise) but I also think its probably a lot easier to leave the toilet where it is and put in a pedestal sink.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sjhockey, I have a pedestal sink now, but it has no storage at all - even for extra toilet paper, no place to put a soap dispenser where it doesn't interfere with the faucets, and it doesn't give the "look" I want which is "warm contemporary".

• weedyacres
    9 years ago

I don't have the layout you're asking about, so can't comment on that, but wouldn't a 24" vanity do the trick? There are plenty of options in that size. I'm with you: I don't care for the lack of storage of pedestal sinks.

• Karenseb
    9 years ago

My daughter has a similar layout in her master. She hates it because the space next to the toilet under the counter top can't be used very well. It is hard to reach and store anything there. I think it looks nice and I like the extra counter top. Maybe a small waste can under the counter would work.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

weedyacres, for some reason the 24 inch vanities just don't look right to me.
    Karebseb, yes I can see that the storage under would be difficult to use at the end where the toilet is, but I don't really need much storage. I want the looks the extra wide counter will give - a place for something decorative in my powder room.

Still pondering, so if anyone else has an opinion please speak up!.

• maxmillion_gw
    9 years ago

My parents' previous home had a powder room layout like #1, and their current home has a layout like #2. I think #2 looks nicer with the larger countertop space. The only downside is if the door swings in, that could feel a bit tight upon entering.

If you don't need to store much, it would look a lot more spacious with a shallow vanity that floats really high off the floor. You could put the wastebasket underneath. And it could be handy to store toilet paper on an open shelf in the vanity within easy reach of the toilet.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

max- I do/did have a concern about the door swing and if it would be tight when entering the room. I'm planning to use a wall mount toilet that extends only 21" from the wall and there is 31" from the wall to where the door opening is. Standing in the space, it seems like it would be fine.

I also agree with you that vanity should be narrow and floating. I'm actually thinking of using 2 Ikea 24" Godmorgon's with filler between and on each end. And custom drawer fronts. They are 19" deep and 24" high, so mounted at 38" counter height, it will leave 14" under, which I think will be good for a trash can. But there will be almost 30" between the toilet and the vanity front anyway - if we mount the toilet so it is centered 18" from the all where the door is.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I have some thoughts. First, the layout with the toilet perpendicular to the vanity makes access of the vanity difficult. Also makes access to the sink, when you're on the toilet, difficult. I love having the sink just next to the toilet for those emergencies. Having the toilet paper roll at the front edge of the toilet, or a little bit forward of the toilet, is a wonderful placement and easily accessible. I have no problems seeing a toilet when I enter the room. If you had a really cool toilet I think it would look great as you look into the room. A real conversation starter. If you had a nice vanity and I toilet on the one wall, you could have a built-in, rather shallow, on the wall where you are thinking of putting the toilet.

For some reason that article in your link irritated me. There are no right or wrong layouts. Layouts need to work with what you have and what you need. If the layout works well for you to have the toilet perpendicular to your vanity that would be great. My only preference is that I have a toilet next to a sink for easy access to water.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

enduring - the author of that article did have a bit of an attitude, didn't he? I remember thinking that I probably wouldn't work well with him.... and you make a good point about not being able to access the sink while on the toilet. I never really thought about it, and had to go check to see if I really could do that without getting off the throne in my current setup. I could. Definitely something to consider!

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES