Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skyangel23_gw

best place on driveway to put kids' handprints?

Skyangel23
9 years ago

The driveway is finally being done on Friday, as well as a 10 x 14 pad in the back by one of the sliders. We want to do the kids' handprints, but we weren't sure if we should do it in the back, on the patio pad, the driveway by the garage, or the end of the driveway, along the side, maybe? Anyone have any idea how long after the concrete is poured before we do it? Right away, a few hours? I have no idea.

Comments (14)

• MFatt16
    9 years ago

Listening in for suggestions...... :)

• threepinktrees
    9 years ago

I don't have a suggestion on where, but I wouldn't wait long, maybe 30 minutes or less? Our concrete guy tried to let our kids do their handprints on a porch pad earlier this year and it was already too hard not much after he poured.

• grubby_AZ Tucson Z9
    9 years ago

Where? In the long haul, there are two possible memories. One is: I had the kids put those hand prints there. The second is: look what the kids did!

Which would be better in thirty years? Their choice or yours? Neither option would hurt the driveway in any way.

It's also a good move to hand the concrete finishing guy a twenty dollar bill for messing with his/her job. You'll get a better "fix" of the kids' mess.

• pixie_lou
    9 years ago

I'd do it in a slightly out of the way spot. You don't want everyone coming to the house having to step over the kids handprints. Also, if you feel the needs to write, use just a date. Or an initial and a date. Think about when you sell the house. Future buyers won't be nostalgic seeing your kids handprints in the concrete.

• robynstamps
    9 years ago

I agree with Pixie. I would definitely not want to buy a home where there was another family's handprints in my driveway or walkway. It's a neat idea but not if you ever plan to sell. JMHO

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

yes, we'll look for something out of the way, but also try to give kids a choice. And good idea to slip the finishing guy a twenty. We'll do that if we can figure out who the finishing guy is. :-)

• musicgal
    9 years ago

I would love to see them on the corner of the patio- highlighted with a little border like the ones outside the old Grauman's on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Buyers often redo patios anyway, but it will be a lot of fun for your family in the meantime, and for anyone else that you entertain back there. Sweet idea.

• sbdesign
    9 years ago

How about pouring small concrete stepping stones, each with one child's name and age? Or one larger but still movable pad?

Not only would these stay with you wherever you go, but any future renovations would not destroy your babies' handiwork.

• Skyangel23
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We did the family's handprints on the end of the driveway on the side closest to the woods, as out of the way as possible. We just did the date under the hands. I'll attach a pic when I can.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

I think handprints in concrete is just stupid. No offense, but I also think plaster casts of kids handprints on the walls is also 1950's grandma style.

yes I have two kids that have grown up.

What did we do when we built our home: I had the kids paint and leave all kinds of messages on the studs and bays of the home before final drywall went up. they grew up knowing their "secret" messages were in there and someday they'll be discovered.

To each their own, but personally having some kids handprints in my driveway would be an irritant, looks very unprofessional so in resale terms it's a negative.

• renais1
    9 years ago

We put the handprints along the walk into the house. They are on the side of the walk, so they are not walked on all the time, and yet they can be seen by those who visit. I highly recommend making the memory with them; I know I appreciate seeing history of a place like this when I visit. In my opinion, they definitely do not decrease value, and in fact add a great ambiance to the outside.
    Renais

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

My parents did the back step. No matter how old I get, I LOVE looking at my old little footprint!

• saftgeek
    9 years ago

Lots of folks travel a far piece to see some "stupid" old hand and footprints. I kinda liked seeing how mine compared to the Duke's and it was really cool to stand where Marilyn once stood. If your little ones turn out to be big shots in the world who knows how valuable that little piece of concrete could be. I know I sure think my kids' handprints add value to my home.