Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
liz2_2008

New Plan --need all suggestions!

liz2-2008
15 years ago

Hi, I we have come up with a new floor plan for our hybrid timber frame home on 45 acres with help from a designer.

I am again looking for comments to help us out.

Thank you.

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=eryjdf&s=4

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (10)

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Looks like entry doors are not drawn for bathrooms for bedroom 1 and 2?

• liz2-2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

OOPS! I posted the old plan here is the new one. It's not finished just the basic layout. We will have a corner fireplace a loft above the garage and still working on the
    kitchen design.
    Thanks.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• che1sea
    15 years ago

What is upstairs?
    At least one of those bedrooms is going to be a bear to get larger furniture into.
    The long narrow closed hallway as an entry doesn't seem terribly inviting.
    That master closet is huge! Not necessarily a bad thing just something I noticed and the master suite seems a bit far from the washer dryer. Also it seems all of the plumbing in the master suite is on exterior walls.
    That is all I notice for now.

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

You don't have dimensions, but the two master closets look ginormous! I know closets are a luxury, but I have to say that the one looks almost ridiculously large. This may be a reaction to me seeing the size of my master closet post construction. It seems too big to me, and yours may be twice that our size.

I'll do the "usuals".

* Are you in a warm climate? I don't see a coat closet near the front door. Oh, I see the angled coat closet down the hall. Will this oddly shaped closet have utility?
    * No baths, only showers in the "other" bedrooms? Is this OK? How big is your family?
    * How big is your breakfast/dining area? Since you don't have a formal dining area, is it big enough for your entertaining needs?
    * You're entry looks interesting. What are the dimensions?

Do the stairs go up or down?

I'd post your kitchen over in the kitchen forum. LOTS of experts there to help you. I'm wondering where the DW is. The area on either side of the sink looks rather tight and with the cooktop so close, there might be a lot going on in that earea.

Your screened outdoor kitchen looks to be to die for. I'd love to see an exterior elevation.

Good luck! You are going to have a blast!

• liz2-2008
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We have one child a boy who prefers showers and when he does take a bath it is always in my whirlpool. When we do have company/family they always take showers except for my Mom and she always uses our whirlpool. We are planning a open floor concept so people can eat at the two bar areas and also we have a brk area for the grandparents. The outdoor Kitchen will have seating. The Master closet is design to be big to help store our skis/ water and snow skies, diving equipment and other things that are in the closets in our home now that we don't want in the attic or outside. The other closet will be for a secure gun rack and a few other things. We are building out in the country of Brenham, TX

We are going to move the 1/2 bath into the mudroom in its own room so you can have an easy acess from the outdoors to a toilet so they don't have to come all the way in the house. I don't mind the distince from the utility from master it's about the same in the house we have here.

Thanks, I will talk to the builder about those halls.

'

Keep the comments coming.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Short to time, so just commenting on the left side of plan:

Windows aren't drawn?

For each secondary bedrooms, the bath entrance is on wall where one might want to place bed. Might be preferable for bath entrance to be near the main bedroom entrance hallway. Bedroom closets look small, and open into the baths. Might be better to place on common wall between the bedrooms to help block sound.

Might want to add closet in mudroom.

The closet at foot of stairs seems to take away from what could be a gracious area. Is this to be your entry closet? Maybe could carve out space elsewhere for it.

• mjlb
    15 years ago

Oh, and think about carrying groceries in from garage... Looks like you'd either trek thru' livingroom, or pass thru' powder room?

• marthaelena
    15 years ago

Liz,

I am awfully sorry I insist: The lack of a formal dining room: left aside the resale factor, I just think is odd not to have a dining room in a 3,580 s.f. house (aprox)
    -Are you sure you want a "Z" shape hallway to go from garage to living? it is a bit more complicated to go to the kitchen from the garage.

Your master closet is 18'-0" x 8'-8". Frankly, I do not think is a good idea to have a gun storage, off the bathroom. How about store your kids items in the smaller master closet and place the door off the hallway and rearrange the bigger closet to accomodate the guns?

The foyer is too long (more than 12') and narrow (less than 6')

I like your master bathroom
    I think your floor plan can be fixed, keeping the essence it has now. There are some other issues that needs adjustment in the left wing. Also, one of the 2 spaces at each side of the foyer could be relocated at the back since it appears you want to take advantage of the view and then you could have a dining room instead next to the foyer and near to the kitchen; all of this without incresing the square footage and wasting some space like the one between the island and the windows and I am not talking about the breakfast nook.

Good luck.

• nanny2a
    15 years ago

If you are relocating the powder room to where the mudroom is, I would suggest using that space and perhaps some of the utility room area for sports equipment storage, other than having to carry it into the house to go into your excessively large closet. It makes more sense to have water and snow skis, and scuba equipment near the garage than in a bedroom closet, especially in a house this size.

Kitchen design is awkward, sink and cook top are too close together and there should be more counter space on each side of cook top for prep. Dishwasher is not shown, but should be located adjacent to sink - there's not enough room for it as shown now.

I agree with marthalena's points about lack of dining room, hallway configuration and dark and narrow entry foyer.

The other bedroom, closet and bath layouts need considerable tweaking for ease of use.

• inthebiz
    15 years ago

Although you dont need a dining room, for resale purposes, why not leave an opening in the kitchen on the angled wall near the pantry so the media room could be used as a dining room by a future buyer. The wall on the left side of the foyer could even have a "knock-out panel" put into the framing so that it could be opened up to (future) dining room.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations